Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New TRU locations?

theres a closedd down masters in mornington, heres hoping

We don't have any so 1 or 2 would be nice down here

Jellico is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I've got one 10 minutes away and I still can't get store exclusives.

Really toy stores are up against cheaper department stores for the mainstream stuff and the internet for the exotics. That leaves a thin band of the slightly unusual for them to make their money with.

Seeing stores filled with Transformers collectables might look great but arguably it means that it is shelf warming and the store should be selling something else.

There was an article from the beginning of the year that the disused Masters sites could be turned into home centres.

This was posted in the sightings section last week....

Quote Originally Posted by Jellico View Post
    Not a sighting per say but something to watch for.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/busi...15-gxwekg.html

The Home Consortium is going to reopen some old Masters as malls. The interesting bit is that they are including Toys R Us.

The two OLD locations are North Lakes and Tingalpa.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    This was posted in the sightings section last week....
    Not being a frequent per user of the QLD sightings thread, I missed that. I did do a brief bit of searching of threads to see if there was a better place to put the original post before starting a new thread and couldn't find anything.

Sorry for the double up.

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

No sorry... I didn't mean it was missed and having a go at anyone. I just wanted to mention that someone else had posted up a different news article and it might not have been seen in that location.

So on this topic, rutherford will be opening up and kotara will be getting an overhaul so its closing for about a year or so

I wonder if these store openings will be affect by news from their US HQ: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busi...dadda5fee99a0d
    Have not come across any other mentions to the Australian subsidiary.

@Mods: Feel free to make this a separate thread if it's worth it.

変われ! ヘッドマスター! Kaware! Headmaster!
    戦え! ヘッドマスター! Tatakae! Headmaster!

After recently opening a couple of new stores this year, it seems that the Australian branch of ToysRUs is seeing further expansion, while the American company is under bankruptcy protection*... with the collapse of the Masters hardware chain being a catalyst, as some of these new stores are opening in converted Masters stores (as a mini-shopping centre). As such, they are probably smaller stores (like TRU Express in America), and are likely to be a little out of the way (not inside an existing shopping centre).

Victoria had a new store open today at South Morang (north east of Melbourne).

Meanwhile, NSW is getting another new store at Marsden Park (near Blacktown and Penrith) in November. Plus, the Kotara store (Newcastle) is currently closed during renovations of the shopping centre, and should reopen late 2018.

But it looks like Queensland is continuing to lead the charge of expansion, with another two stores next month, after just recently getting two new stores in the last year in Robina (last month) and the Sunshine Coast (last year, or maybe it was the year before).
    The two new stores will be at North Lakes (north of Brisbane, near Redcliffe), and Toowoomba. The North Lakes store will open in November, and the Toowoomba store will open in December, to cash in on the Christmas period.
    When those two come on line, that will be a doubling of the QLD stores (to eight) in just a couple of years.

*The American ToysRUs chain was actually also doing well financially in the last year despite strong competition hitting it hard in the last 10 years, with a US$400million profit in the last financial year... showing that they had managed to adapt and grow again. It was just burdened by the outstanding debt (from the purchase of the company about a decade ago) that was due for repayment soon that prompted the bankruptcy protection.