Thread: 30 years of Megatron DVD

Default 30 years of Megatron DVD

Looks like this came out last month, but I haven't seen in it store and I don't remember anybody posting about it (but I may have missed)

Transformers: 30 Years Megatron

Another in the set to go with the 30 Years of Optimus Prime and Bumblebee releases.

Episodes are
    G1: Megatron's Masterplan parts 1 & 2
    Energon: Megatron's Sword
    Prime: Rock Bottom
    Last edited by Paulbot; 8th August 2015 at 03:28 PM.

I'm always amused by that kind of release, I saw it on the shelf and immediately dismissed it.

I am a complete season kind of guy, always have been always will be. I don't see the appeal of a small collection of episodes with characters like prime or megatron, there is no way in a collection of 5 or 10 (I have no idea how many are actually for sale in this set) episodes is going to capture the character as it's changed and developed over 30 years.

it's like the Star trek TNG collections of q, kilingons or borg. I'm going to or already own the entire series why would I want extra copies of some of the episodes?

(is it rubbish like this not selling that makes companies consider not doing Blu-ray box sets of entire seasons? I wonder)
    end rant
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

I don't plan to ever buy complete series of Star Trek, but I have the Time Travel collection because I like time travel stories and it has some of my all time favourite episodes of Trek in it (and it's because I like time travel stories that some of those are my favourite episodes).

I find the Transformers sets unappealing though because I would be looking to buy complete seasons, but also because the grouping is based on a false assumption that it's the same character across series. G1 Bumblebee, Animated Bumblebee and Prime Bumblebee are all extremely different characters who only have a name and colour scheme in common.

The various Megatrons and Optimus Primes have more in common but are still very different, and pulling a random ep out of a series with a strong ongoing narrative (like the Unicron trilogy and Prime) surely makes them rather unintelligible.

Megatran Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    I don't plan to ever buy complete series of Star Trek, *snip*
    I bought the entire collection of The Next Generation & Voyager about a decade ago but never got around to watching all of it. One day. The same goes for the TF Gen 1 animated series.

Looks like they condensed 30 years into 125 minutes. My heart says GO FOR IT, but my head says: 'Wait on. When are ya gonna have time to watch'.

CoRDS is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Megatran View Post
    I bought the entire collection of The Next Generation & Voyager about a decade ago but never got around to watching all of it. One day. The same goes for the TF Gen 1 animated series.

Looks like they condensed 30 years into 125 minutes. My heart says GO FOR IT, but my head says: 'Wait on. When are ya gonna have time to watch'.
    time? thats the thing like left over spare money right?

Quote Originally Posted by Megatran View Post

Some time back JB Hi-Fi had a double offer with 20% off as well as the every third DVD set free for Star Trek - I did not hesitate and bought the full series for Next Gen, DS9, Voyager and even Enterprise. I have already seen all those series a few times over on TV so it was good to finally own them.

With the current prices back to normal and re-release costs, I feel that I got a bargain back then.

Update. Saw it at Big W today. Episodes are

G1: Megatron's Masterplan parts 1 & 2
    Energon: Megatron's Sword

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    And Flying Mind.