Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: G'Day fellow Transformer enthusiasts!

Um, not meaning to be disrespectful or anything but winning first place in a race with no competition is not that big of an accomplishment.
    According to imdb Emmy Award lists for 1998, there were no other nominees in the category, on top of that it wasn't even nominated in any of the other animation or children show categories.
    Reading the records seams to indicate it was a publicity stunt, a political decision designed to generate more interest in the field not necessarily in the show itself.

In any case, it is an excellent show - IMO the best story ever written for a Transformers TV series and the second best story ever written for Transformers period (other than the G1 Marvel comics). The stories in Beast Wars are character driven - it makes you empathise and emotionally connect in many of the characters... like Dinobot vs all the Predacons or Depth Charge vs Rampage -- not just action packed sequences but very emotionally intense moments. Also, Bob Forward and Larry DiTillio were more creatively restricted with Beast Wars because the cartoon is essentially a series of adverts for the toys, which meant that Hasbro often gave them orders with what to do with certain characters (e.g. remove this character here, introduce this character there) - and sometimes with short notice, which made them sometimes have to come up ways to quickly dispose of or introduce new robots. In the G1 cartoon characters just randomly stopped appearing or just appeared as if they were there the whole time (hey Perceptor... so... where'd you come from?!); also the G1 cartoon eps were mostly isolated stories that didn't inter-connect whereas Beast Wars has a lot of episodes that are inter-dependent with each other as it forms a continuing story arc. Also Mainframe made a conscious decision to establish Beast Wars in the same continuity as G1 (and G2) - thus expanding upon (and enhancing) the G1 continuity family. BW also experienced budget cuts with each progressive seasons as well (hence why number of eps in Seasons 2 and 3 were half the number of eps in Season 1).

You don't have to like Beast Wars to be welcome here.
    Last edited by Paulbot; 5th March 2012 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    you don't have to like Beast Wars to be welcome here.
    Exactly right, each to his/her own around here but in time I hope you'll be able to get around to watching Beast Wars and see what you think after a good chunk of it.

Much like yourself, I went into TF: Animated with great trepidation but after watching it with a 'fair-go' in mind and complimented with a particular Podcast on the series (For the 3rd Season anyway); I've come away still with a good disliking for the Art-style but with a great respect for it's narrative and nods to the franchise, it also took some characters in some really interesting directions (Such as Blitzwing) which has lead me to seek out nearly all of the Decepticon figures from the series.

Very glad to see you're a fellow Decepticon fan, as I too have always preferred the bad guys as they generally look far cooler yielding the better toys IMO: It's just annoying that there are less Decepticon figures than there are Autobots but the upcoming Generations toy line will be bucking that trend in it's second wave.

Wreck-gar certainly seems like a fitting choice for your favourite character/toy indeed, Swoop is also a cool figure and adds that much need Air-support to the Dinobots!

It seems we may have different opinions but that's okay. Let's agree to disagree and welcome to the board.

Thank-you
    As I said before I may watch it someday, with animated I hated seeing OP act as a whining teenager, with Beast Wars I absolutely find the cgi offensive to the eye.
    At the time I thought it was blocky and primitive and cheap . . . I made better 3d models in 96-97 for my PC classwork and it was my first time using 3d software.
    So yes, I need to get over some artistic bias but I will get there . . . maybe I can watch it with the monitor off . . . joking.
    In all seriousness I tend not to judge something [outside of initial dislike] unless I have experienced all of it, as a result I end up reading a book or watching a TV series I absolutely dislike but I will continue until the end, that way I know that I gave it every chance to redeem itself.
    And sometimes by the end, I find I am now a fan where before I didn't like it . . . you never know . . .

All in all thanks for the welcome guys, whilst I am sorry that the Beast guys can't count on me for support [at least for now], I am pleased to be apart of such a diverse and healthy community attitude.
    I look forward to continuing that trend with you all.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxMalcolm View Post
    I have always preferred to assemble my toys rather than take out of the box ready to go.
    You wouldn't happen to also be into Lego?
    |Buy ALL my things!|Collection Thread|Current Collection Count: ~661|
    |Wants|Galaxy Force Blue Rumble|

Quote Originally Posted by FoxMalcolm View Post

At the time I thought it was blocky and primitive and cheap . . . I made better 3d models in 96-97 for my PC classwork and it was my first time using 3d software.
    Mid-nineties... Wasn't so much a matter of making better models (which were based heavily on the toys themselves incidentally). The reason a lot of it looked like crud, even back then, was to do with rendering times. Mainframe were under pretty brutal deadlines.

Beast Wars, I remember seeing it when I was doing CG work for Fox at the time and though it was rubbish. Wasn't until about 10 years later after a lot of recommendations that I gave it a chance and enjoyed it, especially the later seasons.
    Which brings us to where we are today...

Yea welcome to the board dont worry mate i aint into beast wars either. I find the writing for the show terriable and cant bring myself to watch the second episode