Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Price Matching Policies for Australian Store Chains that stock Toys

I went to Kmart today to attempt to price-match their Generations figures with Toys R Us' price of $15. The woman said they would need to see the catalogue. But if the product isn't displayed in their rather limited catalogue, how can I do this??

Has anyone found a way around this?

the question is "does the TRU catalogue shows a picture of a Generations deluxe and has the word Generations" to counter the price-match at Kmart

I've presented receipts in the past, but it doesn't always work. Also, the problem with everyone's receipts BUT Kmart's is they don't show the actual SKU, rather only their own internal code.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydisc View Post
    I've presented receipts in the past, but it doesn't always work. Also, the problem with everyone's receipts BUT Kmart's is they don't show the actual SKU, rather only their own internal code.
    Mmm, I wonder if I could convince them to try calling TRU? Or maybe I could take a pic of the pricetag if I was desparate...

tried the pic thing with Big W, didn't work. Plus the condition of having the item in stock as well as on sale. Too much hassle.
    LF: G1/Henkei/SOC/others
    For Sale/Trade:Misc TF Sale
    Want List: WSTs, SCF PVCs, Henkei, Classics

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcomp View Post
    tried the pic thing with Big W, didn't work. Plus the condition of having the item in stock as well as on sale. Too much hassle.
    Wow, stores sure don't make it easy for us do they! Thanks though, you saved me a trip.

It's meant more as a marketting/advertising gimmick, rather than something that will be applied very often. After all, if you know an item is in stock at their *nearest* competitor at that price, they would be thinking, why wouldn't you go there? I can think of a couple reasons for price-matching (rewards programs, or convenience of buying or laybuying other items together at the one location)... but realistically, if you know an item is at another store, the question this store could ask is - 'why didn't you buy it there while you were there?' Or since most will only check a nearest store to see if they have stock, often it will be in the same shopping centre, so why wouldn't a store be able to suggest, going to their store to buy it if you are only after that single item?

It would be nice to take a collection of catalogues to a single store that offers to match the cheapest current price, and not have to run to different locations, but before the internet (and our sightings forum), that's how it was done. And if you're price-matching a store that doesn't even have that item in stock, then this store has every right to say, 'nope'. And that includes other sublines of a particular size class being advertised (a Generations Deluxe shouldn't be price-matched to a Movie Deluxe).

Most stores are pretty good though, and sometimes flexible with what can be price-matched. Unfortunately you occasionally get the occasional checkout staffer who will only match the *sample* item photographed (like Bumblebee), instead of to the entire *size class* that is on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    It's meant more as a marketting/advertising gimmick, rather than something that will be applied very often. After all, if you know an item is in stock at their *nearest* competitor at that price, they would be thinking, why wouldn't you go there? I can think of a couple reasons for price-matching (rewards programs, or convenience of buying or laybuying other items together at the one location)... but realistically, if you know an item is at another store, the question this store could ask is - 'why didn't you buy it there while you were there?' Or since most will only check a nearest store to see if they have stock, often it will be in the same shopping centre, so why wouldn't a store be able to suggest, going to their store to buy it if you are only after that single item?

It would be nice to take a collection of catalogues to a single store that offers to match the cheapest current price, and not have to run to different locations, but before the internet (and our sightings forum), that's how it was done. And if you're price-matching a store that doesn't even have that item in stock, then this store has every right to say, 'nope'. And that includes other sublines of a particular size class being advertised (a Generations Deluxe shouldn't be price-matched to a Movie Deluxe).

Most stores are pretty good though, and sometimes flexible with what can be price-matched. Unfortunately you occasionally get the occasional checkout staffer who will only match the *sample* item photographed (like Bumblebee), instead of to the entire *size class* that is on sale.
    Yes, it's a gimmick. But since they put it out there, they should honor it.
    The application of honoring varies from staff to staff/supervisor to supervisor.

I tried showing TRU staff - lasoo.com.au which shows the prices for different stores.

Bottomline, the stock varies from store to store/location. I want to buy this from your store to save me the hassle of hunting this toy down from the other store in other locations. I'm only doing this for convenience and to get the item for a significant saving. If you don't want to give me that convenience, then I won't shop here. It's better to be upfront about it though instead of offering that guarantee.

Myer or DJ has that big sign that their promise is that you won't spend more to buy things from their store.

It's just like when I bought some vitamins from chemist warehouse and found it $5 less on Mr. Vitamins just in front of their store after 2 mins that I stepped out of their store. I bought 2 so I could have saved $10 at least. They cannot offer the 10% less than competitor's price because I already paid. I cannot even return it buy the vitamins at the other store. Drugs apparently don't have a return option like toys and other merchandise have.
    LF: G1/Henkei/SOC/others
    For Sale/Trade:Misc TF Sale
    Want List: WSTs, SCF PVCs, Henkei, Classics

The thing with these stores though, is that even if they deny a request, and you say you'll never shop there again... chances are, you will eventually, and probably at their next sale or exclusive item.
    It's not a big enough negative to their public image to draw the line wherever they want, whenever they want. We just have to take the good with the bad... the wins with the rejections, especially if it is just a toy or for a few dollars.
    Some love the challenge or live by the process, but for me, it's just not worth the hassle if they reject my first request.

Just did some minor updates to the first post... and will look at adding a "refund/exchanges policy" listing as well (since there were a few people already noting them above).