Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best way of removing old sticker residue?

Default Best way of removing old sticker residue?

Just wondering, im putting some repo labels on my transformers and need to know what’s the best way of removing the left over residue with out harming the transformer??

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    ?rubbing alcohol?
    not a good idea in large amounts - it discolors plastic.

I use babywipes to do it as the substance is mild enough to not harm the plastic but enough to disolve the residue of stickers.

I second babywipes.

Big Kev's Goo Remover works well also. I've used it a few times on some G1's before replacing stickers with repros. Make sure you give it a wipe with a damp cloth (just water) afterwards.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Quote Originally Posted by snaketales View Post
    I second babywipes.
    This is what I use as well. I woudn't recommend other methods (unless as a last resort).

Quote Originally Posted by rampagesss View Post
    Just wondering, im putting some repo labels on my transformers and need to know what’s the best way of removing the left over residue with out harming the transformer??
    i just finished cleaning up an onslaught tried baby wipes at first was taking ages, then tried prepsol/wax & grease remover and it worked heaps quicker and easier dunno if it would remove paint yet though

I use a product called de-solv it its a citrus product i think its natural. ive been using it for a while and works fine doesnt discolor the plastic or anything BUT i have noticed that stickers that have been there for ages will have like a faded look once the sticker residue in the shape of the sticker once its gone im not sure if the glue has done that over ther years or not. however the product i have used has not stained or discolored my tf's on anyother parts that ive put it on. With stickers that have been on there for ages i peel as much as i can off then put the product on so it soaks in it and makes it slightly easier to take off.

Keep in mind that if the plastic has been mildly discolored over time, the area underneath the sticker will always be a little brighter hence a 'brighter spot' in the shape of the former sticker on the plastic. This isn't residue but the proper color of the plastic which has been shielded. Most vintage loose toys no matter how mint they may seem to the naked eye have suffered some level of plastic discolor which can only be noticed when you remove a sticker.

Baby wipes do take a while as you need to rub a fair bit but it will eventually remove the residue completely leaving only plastic. Personally I believe this to be the safest way of removing residue even if not the quickest. Once the sticker residue becomes moist enough it just comes off.

It's likely that the different coloured plastic under the stickers is just the original colouring, as that are has been protected from the elements (UV, humidity, smoke, etc). But yes, glue chemicals may have had a discolouring affect as well.