• Only if (something else)

0 0%
  • No

1 9.09%
  • Not even interested

1 9.09%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Studio Series VOY Starscream

I wasn't going to get this guy (Have the Movie 2 voyager) but I'm so glad for this review-opening it up it's amazing! The sculpt is just so detailed, and the articulation + solidness of the robot make it uber posable.
    Was going to skip some of these SS but I don't think I can!

I'm in the exact same boat. I was totally planning on skipping this toy as I have both the TF1 and ROTF Voyager and the Deluxe figure. Even when I saw it in store I still skipped it. But I was shopping with a friend who bought one for himself, and as we sat down and I opened Stinger and he opened Starscream and we traded figures, Starscream won me over. I walked back there and bought Starscream (and my mate bought Stinger which he had initially skipped too).

My friend also got Bumblebee which I skipped, and I did have a look and fiddle with his Bumblebee. It's really horrible and I'm glad I didn't get it. :/ The toy is prone to falling apart if you so much as blink at it the wrong way.

I'm enjoying this figure a whole lot more than I thought I would.

I'm digging the engineering of this on the Voyager scale a lot more than I expected. Just the right amount of tabs and locks have been added over the Deluxe figure to make it feel rock solid in both modes. Special mention for the arms locking in jet mode and the way the chest comes together with the new fold out parts locking into place in robot mode.

The slight tweak in proportions and the above new locking points means that the jet mode looks leaps and bounds neater than the Deluxe.

It is handsomely painted. It might be the nicest painted mainline figure in years.

I find the accessory integration slightly better executed than the ROTF leader class figure. The wrist locks into place and the fact that the missile launcher doesn't have to fire a spring loaded rocket means it can be slimmer and slightly more screen accurate.

Ultimately it comes close to the ROTF leader class Starscream, but doesn't surpass it. The arms remain perhaps slightly too slim compared to the CGI character model and ROTF leader class figure. The figure lacks integrated weaponry, and while it gains phenomenally expressive ball jointed wrists I feel in the sum of things the highly articulated shoulders of the ROTF figure offer more expressive posing, if we're comparing the two. Full disclosure: the ROTF leader class is my favourite figure ever, so I may be biased.

This is a fantastic piece. It is well worth picking up. I know we're getting a ROTF repaint of this down the line with a saw instead of a missile launcher. I will probably grab that.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkyMcShark View Post
    Ultimately it comes close to the ROTF leader class Starscream, but doesn't surpass it.
    Nor would I expect it to.

NEVER SPEAK TO ME OR MY SON OR MY SON'S SON AGAIN

I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

That Valkyrie looks stunning 😂

I've started listening to the tfw podcast and there's an industry term for when they make toys with similar builds, it's called a "partial tool"

Almost bought the Bumblebee because I like the old camero mode but passed because I couldn't find a review of it on here

Looks like Starscream has been hitting the juice
    WANTED BOTS: G1: Horri-bull, Snarler, Mainframe, Chop Shop, Ransack CHUG: Spin Out, Cordon, Brotropolis Rescue MASTERPIECE: Acid Storm
    ENERGON: Six Shot

Fantastic toy. Wasn't on my want-list either until I saw it in store.

Besides the beautiful detailing, poseability and solid transformation, the main thing that attracted me to this was the clear Movie-1 paint scheme - far too many movie Screamer toys have the ROTF/DOTM ugly tattoos, including the otherwise fantastic leader class.

It's also cool how he can stand eyeball-to-eyeball with Blackout, with Blackout still being much bigger/bulkier overall. It's great how this series has used the really big figures at leader-class as a starting point, and worked down from there scale-wise. Putting Screamer next to Optimus, it's amazing that these are from the same price point but I much prefer them looking as close to 'right' as possible (the movie cheated with it's scaling a lot anyway, especially after movie 1...)

Aside from the landing gears being a little bit too bulky in relation to the jet itself, I have zero complaint about his F22 mode. Then again that may be a safety regulation thing or they break too easily; unlike 3rd party toys these mainline toys do have regulations to stick to. The jet doesn't quite support itself without the landing gears but it'd look incredible on a flight stand. The undercarriage is not as compact as the real thing, but at the Voyager scale this is probably as good as it gets for a transforming F22 toy. As everyone mentioned, the paint is beautifully executed.

I don't own the DotM Deluxe so the engineering is new to me. A very elegant transformation overall, and I like how the rear landing gears end up being the heel spurs.

The 'bot mode is quite awesome. What I find incredible with these SS figures is that not only are there ample sculpted details, they also look very crisp and sharp compared to the majority of earlier movie figures. Starscream's overall lighter color scheme also helps highlight these details, and all the parts are molded in the "right" colors without the need for color correction with paint. He's big Voyager so this is the SS figure that you surely get your money's worth.

He's a solid figure yet handles and poses very smoothly, with all the right tolerance in the right spot. I'd never realized the Leader Starscream mold has the "curling iron arm" as well like the various smaller ones, so this SS figure finally having a ball jointed wrist makes me happy. I'v never been a fan of the chicken leg design of some of these Bayformers but SS Scramers is very easy to pose and balance.

Overall, another winner in the Studio Series.