Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345678914 ... LastLast

Thread: MP-11ND Masterpiece Dirge

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    They already had this ready long ago, these are the time delay for new MPs they have and I believe that will be revealed soon enough what they have been working on.
    Yeah, the rush is on...

Whilst they do look great together, I wish there was a little more consistency amongst the three with regards to the black and grey (black and charcoal would've looked a lot better!):

And the weird-ass wing joint?

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I do wish Dirge had black instead of the dull grey

I don't, makes him somewhat cartoon accurate

I still reckon the animators used dark grey to portray black with details and texture. The below pic shows they should all be the same, yet Ramjet is highly likely to be my favourite because he is the only one with the smoke black.

Quote Originally Posted by MEEEGGGAAATTTRRROOONNN!!! View Post
    Whilst they do look great together, I wish there was a little more consistency amongst the three with regards to the black and grey (black and charcoal would've looked a lot better!):
    You could always paint over it if it bugs you that much.

Quote Originally Posted by MEEEGGGAAATTTRRROOONNN!!! View Post
    And the weird-(donkey) wing joint?
    It allows Dirge to achieve greater cartoon likeness. Ramjet didn't need them because the cartoon usually shrank his wings in robot mode. They only came up to his hip level, whereas the G1 mould's wings went straight up behind his armpits.

G1 cartoon Dirge's wings similarly shrink and only come up to hip level. But unlike Ramjet, Dirge's wing tips have a distinctive set of additional smaller wings (which actually makes it impossible for Dirge to fly, but let's continue to suspend disbelief ) which would be lost if Dirge were allowed to transform in the same way as Ramjet. But these ridiculously oversized wings cannot remain a single piece for the MPs, not only because of wanting to come down to hip level, but also because if the wings were attached to both the body and legs then it would further restrict leg poseability... although it looks already restricted as it is, I don't know how you could make MP Dirge execute dynamic leg movements like kicks etc. It's almost looks like he's wearing leg braces. Run, Forrest, run.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    G1 cartoon Dirge's wings similarly shrink and only come up to hip level. But unlike Ramjet, Dirge's wing tips have a distinctive set of additional smaller wings (which actually makes it impossible for Dirge to fly, but let's continue to suspend disbelief ) which would be lost if Dirge were allowed to transform in the same way as Ramjet.
    Huh? Since when do winglets prevent a plane from flying?
    www.mariokart64.com
    --------------------------------------------------------
    "Sometimes, the wrong thing feels so right"

I wasn't referring to the winglets but rather the positioning of the horizontal stablisers in front of the wings. Although when I Googled it, I found that the J-20 Chengdu (video) has a similar wing design to Dirge, so it does appear to be possible! Although unlike G1 Dirge, the wings and especially the horizontal stabilisers are positioned more forward and further apart from each other. MP Dirge G1 accurately has the horizontal stabilisers too far back compared to real life jets with this wing configuration.

Also importantly, Dirge also has no vertical stabilisers (and his winglets would be far too small to act as vertical stabilisers). But in fairness to Dirge, none of the 2nd Year Jets look like they could actually fly in real life. Thrust's winglets, while bigger than Dirge's, would probably be too small to function IRL, and while Ramjet has distinctive vertical stabilisers, although they're mounted on top of the wings instead of on the sides of the fuselage. Both Dirge and Thrust have wings where the rear edges are aligned to the afterburners. Real life jets like the J20 don't have the wings that are so back set and they definitely have vertical stabilisers along the fuselage.

Hmm, maybe Ill jump on kerbal space program and try and replicate them as best I can, since their physics replaication in game is pretty spot on
    www.mariokart64.com
    "Sometimes, the wrong thing feels so right"

Last edited by griffin; 2nd August 2016 at 08:56 PM. Reason: hotlinked images