Page 38 of 195 FirstFirst ... 182833343536373839404142434858 ... LastLast

Thread: The Random Transformers Thoughts Thread

I can see the TR line has made a slight attempt at the Headmaster gimmick of taking on the techspecs/abilities of any headmaster unit inserted.

Darkmoon; Cloaking Ability, Hyperfire; Speed Boost, Nucleon; Universal Systems Upgrade (Unstable), Fracas; Absorb Abilities ( Rogue-X-men comes to mind). I can't believe they paired Scourge with such a dangerous ability!

It's a pity they didn't write up abilities for the solo Headmaster Units, eg; I bet Brawn would increase Strength,etc... Pretty slack effort on Hasbro's behalf I believe considering the ones they did incorporate were barely a sentence long.

I thought they did for some of them in a comic style pamphlet... I'll have to find the link again

But this is the problem that I have with the way that tech spec bios are all written now -- they only focus on how "Awesome!(TM)" the character is, talking about how much power they have and how they can kick butt blah blah blah but ZERO personality. The great thing about reading G1 tech spec bios wasn't just to find out about what the characters could do, but also to read about who they were.

e.g.
    * Rumble; generates earthquakes but is also your basic street thug/punk
    * Thundercracker; able to project focused sonic booms and is morally conflicted
    * Trailbreaker; can generate impenetrable force fields but struggles between seeing himself as a liability or asset to his friends
    * Tailgate; able to use the momentum of other vehicles to propel him but is a few Aerialbots short of a full Superion
    * Pipes; able to emit corrosive gases and is a compulsive hoarder
    * Long Haul; able to carry massive loads but hates his job and is easily provoked into battles that he can't win
    * Dead End; equipped with long range radar and powerful compressor gun but suffers from depression and lethargy
    * Hubcap; able to tune into all frequencies. Seems like a really nice guy but uh... I wouldn't be surprised if he and Swindle were making secret deals with each other.
    etc.

G1 Transformers were more fleshed out and balanced out. While they all had unique abilities they also had individual quirks that made them unique. Recent tech spec bios tell me all about what these Transformers can do but nothing about who they are. And the problem with every tech spec crying out about how awesome their character is is that it all becomes noise that I end up ignoring. It's like walking through a market where all the vendors are yelling at customers about how great their stalls are - cheap prices, fresh produce etc. - but in the end it's just noise. There's really bugger all thought put behind these bios.

I'm going to be in Japan next month and I'm thinking about getting MP Delta Magnus if I find one... and if I do, maybe repurpose it as being an alternate G1 universe version of Dominus Ambus.

Sometimes I feel like buying a 3rd Party Masterpiece Jazz (when one comes out) Hound, Sunstreaker, Galvatron and Cyclonus then calling it a day with collecting Transformers. TT seem to be focussing on repaint/redeco potential and with finite funds, buying b class characters (even if they were in the G1 cartoon), is looking less appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I'm going to be in Japan next month and I'm thinking about getting MP Delta Magnus if I find one... and if I do, maybe repurpose it as being an alternate G1 universe version of Dominus Ambus.
    I looked at my MP Autobot shelves tonight and realised what a daft idea this was because I just don't have the space to house Delta Magnus, especially considering that I'd prefer to display him in vehicle mode (since Ultra Magnus is already displayed in robot mode). So yeah, probably pass on this. Besides, it's not as if Japan has a shortage of TF temptations for me.

After almost a year of no buying new bots, no following news, nothing, I got hit with a sudden wave of "I want more transformers."

We moved to Aus from NZ last year, and I bought with me a handful of MPs, which until recently was fine. Now I'm working on bringing all the others over, and starting to look into buying releases I'd missed.

It begins again. So much to catch up on.

Received my Unite Warriors Computron in the mail today. Just had the most awesome time opening it and playing with it with my 2 sons (3 1/2 and 20 months). When I assembled Computron, they took it in turns giving him "cuddles" - very carefully and gently too!

I love being a dad.

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

Quote Originally Posted by M-bot View Post
    Received my Unite Warriors Computron in the mail today. Just had the most awesome time opening it and playing with it with my 2 sons (3 1/2 and 20 months). When I assembled Computron, they took it in turns giving him "cuddles" - very carefully and gently too!

I love being a dad.
    Awesome!!!!!!!!
    WANTED BOTS: G1: Horri-bull, Snarler, Mainframe, Chop Shop, Ransack CHUG: Spin Out, Cordon, Brotropolis Rescue MASTERPIECE: Acid Storm
    ENERGON: Six Shot

One of the interesting things I find with interacting with Japanese fans is when they find a Hasbro version of a toy more preferable than their local TakaraTOMY version. A number of Western fans I've noticed have stated that they prefer the TakaraTOMY Legends version of Hardhead (with the more anime-accurate head), but I just come across one Japanese fan who prefers Hasbro's Titans Return version with the more toy-accurate head. One of the Japanese fans that I'll be meeting at the upcoming Osaka meet has asked me to grab a TR Hardhead for him.