Thread: RIP 2024

Default RIP 2024

News today that Jose Delbo has passed away

One of the most prolific artists on the original Marvel comic series, he drew 25 issues out of the 80.

Manga legend Toriyama Akira, famous for works such as Dragon Ball and Dr. Slump etc., passed away last week.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-68444060

I got into my manga/anime phase in the early to mid 90s. My original online handle was Gokuu, named after the Dragon Ball character. After Beast Wars came out and I finally discovered the online TF fandom (realising that I was no longer alone as a TF collector), I changed my handle to Goktimus Prime. I was watching Dragon Ball before I had learnt to speak Japanese, and English language versions didn't exist, so I was watching stuff raw without fully understanding what the characters were saying. But it was good enough to engage me even without translations! When I was learning Japanese, Dragon Ball became the first manga series that I read from start to finish. My interest in Dragon Ball waned after Dragonball GT came out, which I did watch as I was living in Japan when it aired on TV there... but funnily enough, even though I could finally understand the language, the new show (which wasn't based on Toriyama's work) failed to engage me.

Photos of me and my friend cosplaying as Son Gokuu and Vegeta in 1995.

He did the art and design for a bunch of JRPGs too, most notably Dragon Quest and Chrono Trigger.