Page 97 of 154 FirstFirst ... 77879293949596979899100101102107117 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Critics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by XMan View Post
    Fantastic Beasts - What an utter delight! I enjoyed most apsects, all I could've asked for was a little more about Newt himself, a little more of history, which is upsetting as he wont be the sole focus moving forward.
    The scene's inside his suitcase with all the differing habitats was beautiful and shows that Yates has great understanding of the Wizarding Worlds, and showed 1920's New York a bit more polished than it should be, but still looked good.
    The whole death sentence thing I felt was Yates and Rowling showing a contrast between just how different the worlds are, and Newt's little comments on slavery were great!
    I went to see it in Gold Class, best 2~ hours sleep I've had in a while. I even got woken up to be served some alcohol and burgers for a quick refresher. The other 2 people I went with had a horrid experience, so somehow I ended up with 6 free gold class tickets. Going back again this week

(I went to see it after no sleep the previous night pretty much + work).

XMan is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I dont understand your post.

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter is a movie I have to describe as all killer no filler. I find all the movies in this franchise to be good to excellent (the weakest being RE:Apocalypse).Great to see the franchise go out with a big bang.

^Unusual for films based on video games

I rewatched Edge of Tomorrow which was on Channel 9 last night. Reading up about it I learnt that Emily Blunt trained in the Israeli martial art of Krav Maga (as well as other stunt forms) in preparation for her role, which was interesting. It made me think about Gal Gadot who actually served in the Israeli Army... does anyone know if Krav Maga is taught in standard/basic training to all enlistees? If so it would explain why Wonder Woman had a more realistic fighting stance in Dawn of Justice.

...although admittedly Superman doesn't need to adopt a realistic battle stance.

I would have thought Superman only had two standard battle stances: Apathy and contempt
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Bi-Polar-Jitsu!

Seriously though I think that he would (or should) adopt a proper fighting stance when going toe to toe with super-powered beings like the Kryptonians (Zod etc.) and Doomsday. But then it's hard for us to imagine what that might look like for a Kryptonian on Earth considering that they can fly. One of the things that I liked about the Snyder films is how Kryptonians don't fall when the floor beneath them collapses - they just hover, which makes complete sense. Falling down sucks! Why give up the high ground when you don't have to?

I've never thought of this before, but do Kryptonians actually have greater super endurance than strength? Cos if we look at Dragonball, when super-beings punch each other they leave marks and draw blood. Considering that we don't see super-beings so much as putting a hair out of place in the Snyder films, it suggests that their strength doesn't outmatch their endurance. This is different in the comics though. When Superman fought Doomsday he became bruised and bloodied during the fight.

Btw this shot shows the differences between the 3 heroes' battle stances with Wonder Woman's being the most realistic from a martial arts POV. Although in Batman's defence he is holding a gun and isn't about to go hand to hand with Doomsday (I don't know anything about using guns to comment on whether or not that's a realistic gun stance).

The good lady wife and I had some downtime today while the kids slept, both pretty tired and wanted to zone out. BVS on Netflix. I've seen it and knew it was a turd. It didn't get better with a second viewing. I was hugely entertained, however, and the incredulous confusion on my wife's face while we watched. She repeated several times "That makes no sense". When it finished, she said "Well that was a heap of stupid".

She was right.

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

Ben Affleck's performance as Batman is bloody fantastic though. I don't know who's gonna end up directing the upcoming Batman flick, but I hope that Affleck remains as Batman. Sometimes you can still see a good actor's performance shine through despite being in a bad film, and other times you can see a bad actor's performance shine through despite being in a good film (e.g. Tom Cruise).

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Ben Affleck's performance as Batman is bloody fantastic though. I don't know who's gonna end up directing the upcoming Batman flick, but I hope that Affleck remains as Batman. Sometimes you can still see a good actor's performance shine through despite being in a bad film, and other times you can see a bad actor's performance shine through despite being in a good film (e.g. Tom Cruise).
    Killed it in Edge of Tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by M-bot View Post
    The good lady wife and I had some downtime today while the kids slept, both pretty tired and wanted to zone out. BVS on Netflix. I've seen it and knew it was a turd. It didn't get better with a second viewing. I was hugely entertained, however, and the incredulous confusion on my wife's face while we watched. She repeated several times "That makes no sense". When it finished, she said "Well that was a heap of stupid".

She was right.
    The ultimate edition does salvage the movie a fair bit in my view making it somewhat decent. I have no idea why they didn't just release that version instead of that edited mess of a theatrical version
    My wife asked me why I carry a gun?, I said "Decepticons"... She laughed, I laughed, the toaster laughed, I shot the toaster. It was a good day.