• Only if (something else)

0 0%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not even interested

1 14.29%

Thread: Toy Review - Studio Series Brawl

Default Toy Review - Studio Series Brawl

(Please post comments, photos or even a fully comprehensive review - these are just some brief details to start you off)

BRAWL (Decepticon Brawl)
    Series - Generations
    Sub-line - Studio Series
    Size/class - Voyager
    New/remould/redeco - new
    Wave - 2
    Released here - July 2018
    Approximate Retail Price - $50
    Approximate Size - 18cm
    Allegiance - Decepticon
    Alt-mode - Modified M1A1 Abrams tank
    Main Features/Gimmicks - In scale with other Studio Series toys, screen likeness
    Main Colours - greens with silver highlights
    Main Accessories - cannon, claw-gun

Thoughts...

* Shoulders! The biggest flaw with the Deluxe figure was the shoulders' inability to peg in properly (or at all). The Voyager's shoulders don't require pegging in and the toy completely avoids this problem.

* The Voyager has a far more streamlined body in robot mode. Gone is the clunky bulk of the Deluxe, although I quite _like_ that bulk! But I do really like how the Voyager's treads fold down on the shoulders instead of just sticking up there. Now Brawl has unobstructed peripheral vision!   (but to be fair to the Deluxe, it was part of the fun automorph gimmick which the Voyager doesn't have).

* I prefer the more olive matte green with grey camouflage as opposed to the more traditional jungle greens on the Voyager. This is purely a subjective thing based on my personal taste - there's nothing inherently wrong with SS Brawl's colours. And I really do like the airbrushing on some of the camo. I also prefer the gold highlights on the DLX vs the silver on the VOY.

* The DLX doesn't rely on panel forming with the arms and legs, although the VOY doesn't panel-form with the back, body and turret. Overall the VOY is less of a panelformer than the DLX.

* I like how both the Legends and Deluxe has the barrel on the arm like a fusion cannon. I know that it's not screen-accurate, but it was cool! The barrel sticking out from Brawl's posterior isn't screen-accurate either, but I understand that they're trying to get it out of the way because in the actual movie the barrel just tucks inside the body and disappears. Something that's impossible for a toy to do without an MP level budget/price point.

* The arm weapons are detachable and can be placed on either the forearms or held in hand. This allows for greater versatility in play, but it kinda feels like a design cheat considering that the Deluxe has them fixed on the arms and they had to be incorporated inside the tank turret. I think they look a bit silly attached to the roof of the turret. But I understand that it's because they're trying to make the body less bulky to make it more like the movie.

* I can't find the Decepticon insignia. Has anyone else managed to find it?

Overall an absolutely gorgeous figure that's well worth getting, especially if screen likeness and scale are your thing.

PICS

↑ Yes, I know that I've mistransformed Brawl's chest in these pics, thanks ↓

Bought this fella the other day. Quite dig both tank and robot modes, the only glaring issue for me is when in tank mode, the main gun turret is incapable of rotating.

Quote Originally Posted by Bemblebuu View Post
    Bought this fella the other day. Quite dig both tank and robot modes, the only glaring issue for me is when in tank mode, the main gun turret is incapable of rotating.
    Yeah, that is unfortunate. But much like Studio Series Blackout, Brawl is a toy that focuses more on screen accuracy than being a fun play toy.

IMO these toys are better action figures, but the originals are better toys.

I love this guy, really unexpected highlight of the series.

In photos he looks really ungainly and awkward, but in hand it all makes sense. It's unashamedly movie accurate, especially those painful-looking shoulders.

Loses a few points for the dangly bits hanging between his legs, and the way the tank turret appears to tilt forwards at the back. Also, the ridiculously dark instructions for the Decepticons are a massive pain in the butt, very hard to see; they make it look like it's a complicated transformation when actually it's fairly straightforward and logical where everything goes. It says 36 steps but it's more like 20 once you take out the unnecessary 'stating the obvious' steps...

Recommended!

Galvatran Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sutton View Post
    Loses a few points for the dangly bits hanging between his legs,
    Some call it kibble, others well...

Anyhoo, what is it? Is it his big Canon?

Quote Originally Posted by Galvatran View Post
    Anyhoo, what is it? Is it his big Canon?
    His canon's not that big. His only main appearance was in the first live action film, then some minor appearances in things like the prequel comics and other small micro-continuities.

Oh, you meant cannon. </cheek>

Galvatran Guest

Ah gee wizz, that cheek got me all tanked out...

I picked this up yesterday and am in full agreement with GoktimusPrime.

It's not better or worse than any previous iteration of this character.

It is more movie accurate in both proportions and not having a massive backpack. The robot mode is also much more playable than previous plastic versions of this character. It is not top heavy, and the arms are wonderfully articulated.

I can only muster two downsides, being that the tank turret doesn't turn in vehicle mode, and the main gun hangs off the back of the figure not doing anything in robot mode.

It is a fun figure and is certainly different enough to previous Brawls to warrant purchasing.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

No comparison picks with the Leader version?