Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: What other Transformer Crossover figures or toylines could we have?

Galvatran Guest

I was thinking about this topic the other day.

+ GoBots (duh)
    + Dune
    + Duke Nukem
    + Double Dragon
    + KO's (can I say that? But seriously, how awesome!)

M.A.S.K.

Quote Originally Posted by Galvatran View Post
    + GoBots (duh)
    Unlikely.

Hasbro bought out Tonka (and thus their properties like Gobots) in the early 90s to basically snuff out Transformers' main competitor. They've even taken steps to maintain Gobot trademarks to prevent anyone else from using them, starting with the G2 Autobot whose personal name was "Gobots" and so on. Individual Gobots appearing as Transformers members have typically been limited exclusive repaints designed by fans, and they've always been repaints of existing TF moulds. Others have just been reusing the trademarks and bear no resemblance or relation to the Gobots themselves (e.g. Armada Leader-1 etc.).

Another thing with Gobots is that it could produce a legal problem if they made updated toys of the original Gobots. This is because Machine Robo, the Japanese toyline that became Gobots, is still owned by Bandai. HasTak can get away with repainting Transformer moulds and using Gobot names because Bandai doesn't own the rights to those. But they couldn't say make a Generations Leader-1 toy that looked like Leader-1 (or Eagle Robo as it's own in Japan) because the distinctive likeness belongs to Bandai.

Since IDW is releasing a Star Trek/Transformers crossover, I can't deny that a transforming classic Enterprise (or perhaps Enterprise-A), Romulan Warbird, or Klingon Bird of Prey would be pretty cool...

Of course with how hit and miss the Star Wars line was, and how thin some of the supporting structures are on those ships, the end robot mode may just end up a gangly mess!

Can I throw my support behind Star Wars Transformers but done properly?

Granted there aren't really enough vehicles to support a proper 'line' as it were, because the Rebels had mainly starfighters. Still, I suppose we had the Alternity line which only had 4 unique molds.

TIE Interceptors into the Seekers
    TIE Advanced as Megatron
    AT-AT as Soundwave
    AT-ST as Rumble/Frenzy

Y-Wing as Ironhide
    X-Wing as Sideswipe
    Luke's Speeder as Bumblebee
    Millenium Falcon as Broadside (?)
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

As I mentioned back in post #19, I think that Crossover TFs could be so much better made if they just stopped trying to make the robot modes resemble the pilots or other organic character. Just have them transform into unique robots.

Imagine if 80s Mecha franchises tried to make the robots resemble the pilots?
    e.g. VF-1J looking like Hikaru Ichijo, VF-1S looking like Roy Focker, Gazette Oberon lookin like its female pilot etc., or heck, the Diaclone Car Robots resembling Diaclone Pilots... it'd be pretty terrible IMO. Look at Energon Snow Cat -- it's a nice little Transformer that never tried to resemble Snowjob. Heck, as goofy as Pacific Rim is, it's not as if the Jaegers tried to look like their pilots either. Imagine if the Green Voltron Lion looked like Pidge with glasses? No!

Here is a kitbashed Star Trek Enterprise Transformer toy that someone made. As you can see, it has its own robot mode that isn't trying to look like Kirk or Picard. Just let the robot be a robot.

I Like that, but it does look like Geordi LaForge.

I'd love to see some star trek transformer crossovers. I've always loved the appearance of star trek ships. I also completely agree that they shouldn't be trying to look like a character from the vehicle, I'd much prefer an original design or some reference to a transformers character. I think this is one of the reasons I never collected the Star Wars Crossovers.

I'd suggest that with a little geometrical license the thin elements of ships like the enterprise could be worked with quite well. Consider the generations Lugnut, sure the wings weren't supporting warp nacelles but they did transform and become arms quite effectively.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Oh Generations Lugnut, how I pain that I missed purchasing you

That Custom Enterprise-E actually looks REALLY cool.