Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Memories of Toys R Us: Garden City

Default Memories of Toys R Us: Garden City

With it's closure as of 5pm the 4th of August 2018, Garden City Toys R Us has closed, opened 1993, I figured this'd be a nice way to share stories of the long running toy store that was part of our lives. Also figured it'd be a good idea to give each store it's own thread, since Toys R Us' were few and far between to appear more exclusive, so this is here so we can share our memories and stories of this store.

Back in high school, I applied for a job here and got as far as the group interview. I have to say it was a bit a daunting with it being my first job interview, but it was nice experience to gain. It was a bit fun that one of the questions they asked the group was what our favourite toy was, my answer was Transformers, funny considering I was in my teen angst era where toys were just for kids, but TF's always stayed with me.

Because I was nervous and quiet during the interview compared to everyone else, I never got the call back, that sucked but it was about the experience. This is one of my stories about Toys R Us garden city, and I'm sure we all have them, so it'd be fun to share.

It's funny, a lot of my Transformers (especially "European" G1, G2, early Beast Wars) came from TRU Hurstville, which closed a few years back.

While I've also purchased a lot from TRU Miranda, that store never had the same consistency of stock and the service was generally terrible. So I don't have the same memories of that store - which closed this weekend.

For me, my fondness for TRU went with the Hurstville store, which was a victim to changing demographics more than anything else.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

I bought my first Gameboy from TRU Garden City. It came with Super Mario Land and at the age of 7 it was the first video game I ever owned. My mother didn't have a lot of money, but her sister from Melbourne generously sent a cheque for $100 in the mail because the whole family knew it was the only thing I wanted for my birthday. I still remember plucking the card from the blue sleeves in the aisle and taking it to the register. After paying and heading to that counter on the right, and handing the receipt to the attendant I think my anticipation must have hit a level never experienced before. After a couple of minutes of intense heart pounding, he emerged from the back room with this:

I later went on to seeing the Beast Wars toys here for the first time which helped fill the meter to cement this lifelong obsession.

Toys R Us has always been a pretty shitty toy shop. It was certainly no World 4 Kids, or even ZigZag (later Toyworld). Relied too much on high prices and 'exclusives'. By the time I actually got to see one regularly, I couldn't believe this is the store people banged on about as being the best toys shop ever.

The power of nostalgia, I guess.

Galvatran Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gouki View Post
    Toys R Us has always been a pretty shitty toy shop. It was certainly no World 4 Kids, or even ZigZag (later Toyworld). Relied too much on high prices and 'exclusives'. By the time I actually got to see one regularly, I couldn't believe this is the store people banged on about as being the best toys shop ever.

The power of nostalgia, I guess.
    For me it's not about the highly inflated price tags. It's the opportunity younger kids won't experience in going into a dedicated toy store that was TRU. Sure there are other retail toy chains. I loved taking my young nephew & nieces to TRU & letting them loose.

Toys R Us had long stopped making toys it's main focus and moved into baby stuff. And you live Melbourne according to your profile. There are so many great little stores you don't even need to mourn it.

Toys R Us is an almost cult mentality. It's actually a little scary.

I'm genuinely curious, how many people mournjng ztoys R Us do you think stopped shopping there long ago for online stores? I'm thinking a considerably high number. I mean, you're post even implies you just took them there to browse and run around. Not that you shopped there.

Galvatran Guest

That's right Gouki. Those experiences of my nephews & nieces at TRU browsing, role playing & facepainting are fond memories that stick with me. We all have different experiences. Mine are mainly positive with the little ones.

But isn't just browsing with the little ones part of the reason Toys R Us couldn't stay open? Because it as treating them like a toy library you couldn't take stuff home from?

Galvatran Guest

^ This thread specifically refers to memories of TRU. And I was giving my experience; a positive one at that. The reason for TRU closing has been well established & discussed elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Galvatran View Post
    ^ This thread specifically refers to memories of TRU. And I was giving my experience; a positive one at that. The reason for TRU closing has been well established & discussed elsewhere.
    Hear hear. Lets keep it on topic and positive team.
    I still function.....................while killing threads. ;-)