Page 59 of 124 FirstFirst ... 394954555657585960616263646979 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Transformers Trivia Game Thread!

Sentinel Prime

Fortress Maximus --> Grand Maximus
    Cerebros --> Grand
    Spike --> Gran
    Cog --> Cog(?)
    Gasket & Grommet --> Onomus & Koka

Quote Originally Posted by Ark Ivor
    IMO - Super Human Master Force (the 'word' translated as 'God' can also be loosly translated as human and I think Super Human Master Force more correctly describes the series
    I'm gonna have to disagree with you there. The word "Choujin" 超神 literally means "super god" or "super divinity." The kanji for "jin" is the same kanji for "kami" as in "kamikaze" ('divine wind') or "kami-sama" ('Lord God' - often used to refer to a single god from monotheistic religions).

Perhaps you're thinking about another kanji for "jin" which is written as 人. This kanji does mean "person" e.g.: 日本人 (nihonjin; Japanese person), オーストラリア人 (Oosutorariajin; Australian person), 人類 (jinrui; humanity) et al.

But yeah, the 神 kanji only refers to divinity, e.g.: god and certainly not anything that is within the realms of 'mere mortals.'

- your either a God or your not, there's no super about it, but 'humans' enhanced by armour suits or conceiling robot forms within could theoretically be called super-humans) - I don't care enough to argue about it I'm only pointing out a translation variation (like 'Coca Cola' sounding right but originally correctly translated as something like 'frog spawn' in chinese - I think Coke's picked different symbols now), it's just - IMO
    The definition of "god" can vary greatly ranging from Hercules to the Titans to the Judeo-Islamic-Christian god. He-Man and Superman could be argued to be gods.

The word "chou/kami" (神) doesn't just mean "god", it refers to anything that is divine. The Godmasters tap their energies from 'divine' sources of power - what's called "Choukon Power" (超魂パワー) - the kanji for "chou" here means "super" (the same as in "Choujin") and the kanji for "kon" (also pronounced as "tamashii") means spirit - e.g. Yamato-damashii (大和魂; 'Yamato spirit'). The concept of a soul or spirit (or even a Spark) is something that is considered to be divine, therefore they are intertwined.

Ok - but I was only talking about the 'word' not the kanji since Takara has been prone to try and adapt Western 'words' into Japanese and in the process get the precise meanings wrong in the kanji (I would have said kanji instead of 'word' if that'd been what I was talking about). still now I can read a little more Japanese.

But your answer is still incomplete.

Hint: For those playing at home Cogs name (by pronounciation at least) is present IMO
    For those playing at work don't forget the Sword?
    'The Spark's Willing, but the Metal's Fatigued'
    Ghost of Starscream

Ok - but I was only talking about the 'word' not the kanji
    Well the word 超神 does mean Super God. My understanding is that you're arguing that the word "super god" a tortology because by being a god you're already super and thus the series should've been called 超人 (Super Human) Masterforce instead of 超神 Masterforce. While I can understand this rationale, I still don't really agree with it. There are many different kinds of gods in theology, mythology etc. and some gods really are super gods. The God of Abraham is really a super-god compared to most other gods, e.g.: Hercules, the Titans, Thor, Apollo, Mercury, Aphrodite, Athena, Verdande, Urdu, Loki, Hades et al.

It's all relative, dependent on which god(s) you're comparing the Godmasters with really. Compared to say the Abrahamic Super-Mega-Ultra-God (who is considered to be all-powerful by Abrahamic religions so in that sense He is the superest of gods/divine beings (e.g.: angels, demons etc)) the Godmasters may not seem all that super, but if you compared them to say Hercules, He-Man or the Elves of Middle-Earth, then yeah, they could be argued to be super-gods. <insert Godmasters vs Hercules or He-Man or Elves geek-debate here>

For those playing at work don't forget the Sword?
    Grand Master Sword?

Question A much Easier Question Now

Hi all since no one could fully answer I will
    Fortress Maximus - Grand Maximus
    Cerebros - Grand
    Spike - Gran
    Cog - Kogu (I'll accept Cog or 'same name', but Cog? is not an answer its a question)
    Gasket/Grommet - Koka/Onomis
    Master Sword - unnamed (I did say it was an option - but it did have to be stated clearly as the answer)
    Great work Gok, but 'missed it by that much'

A much easier question now
    What is the alternate mode of Emirate Xaaron called and has it ever been officially rendered?

Well Hercules is half human, Elves/Men/Dwarves/Ents were sung-up by gods (read Silmarilion), and He-Man's power is derived from Castle Grey Skull - making them all human or super-human (Or creature or super-creature).

This is important since they can all be killed - to use Transformer and Middle-Earthen mythology as a basis a God cannot be killed, but it can be reduced or converted within the same plane of existence (this is because they exist simultaneously on all planes of existence) - Unicron consuming his brethren (conversion), Sauron's power being dissipated leaving him as little more than a malicious spirit (see also Unicron's essence being trapped in the Matrix). And I agree that there can be different levels of god-hood - Primus may be powerful in one way, but Unicron, the Universe and the Chronoverse are far above them. This can also be seen in Norse, Roman and Greek mythology where you have gods and children of gods who are also gods and gods who 'kill' other gods 'inherit' their power (conversion).

Transformers/Elves/Men/Super-Humans/semi-gods/etc. when their energies are converted (die) they must depart one plane of existence to reside upon another (J'nwan/All-Spark/Elvenhome/Heaven/Valhalla/Hell/etc.) and although they can return to their previous plane of existence (ghosts/angels/demons/etc.) they can only do more than communicate if they possess the body of another or have help from a god (Starscream's ghost rehoused by Unicron/Gandalf resurrected) - with those definitions Poltergeists or Kinetic Ghosts would seem to negate the need for a physical form but they could be considered to be reduced Gods rather than ghosts.

The origin 'word' Ji/Jin/Qi/Chi/Zhi in all its spellings and pronunciations more correctly mean Energy or Harmony - not God.

With all those definitions the 'word' God (as used in Godmasters) would more correctly be interpreted as Energy/Power while the God (as used in Super God Master Force) would be interpreted as Human.
    I like Geek debate but will probably have to end my part in it here
    Ghost of Starscream

Quote Originally Posted by Ark-Ivor
    I'll accept Cog or 'same name', but Cog? is not an answer its a question
    Wuaaagh! I should've been more confident and said "Cog!" even if I wasn't entirely sure. BW Megatron was right... deception is sometimes the better part of valour.

In answer to the question Xaaron's alt mode is a combat tank but it has never been rendered as he is no longer able to transform into it without tearing himself a second one.

I'll accept your answer (although I think it was called a Solar Tank in the Marvel UK bonus 200th Anniversay mini-comic) and yep never rendered.

You're up
    Ghost of Starscream

Q: Who is the main Decepticon villain in the adventure game book Island of Fear?

Bonus Q: Which Autobot other than Beachcomber appears in this book (although whether you see him or not depends on which choices you make)?

TheDirtyDigger Guest

Dirge.

Bonus Q: I don't know.

Dirge is correct. Your turn.

Bonus Q answer: Seaspray.