View Poll Results: Hardhead with Furos - worth getting?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • A Headmaster Hardhead - hells yeah!

23 95.83%
  • Only if cheap

1 4.17%
  • Only if...

0 0%
  • Na

0 0%
  • Your head would have to be thick - not hard - to buy this toy!

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Titans Return Hardhead with Furos

Default Toy Review - Titans Return Hardhead with Furos

Hardhead with Furos
    Series – Titans Return
    Size/class - Deluxe
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Wave - 1
    Released here – Not yet
    Approximate Retail Price - $28
    Approximate Size - 15cm
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode – Cybertronian Tank
    Main Features/Gimmicks – Headmaster feature
    Main Colours – Green, Gray
    Main Accessories – Cannon, Rifle, Titan Master Furos

Robot Mode
    Very indicative of the G1 version of the character. I think it’s a nice touch that you can manuver the cannon on his back to sit up or over the shoulder. Quite good articulation, well proportioned, good colour scheme, poseable.

Vehicle Mode
    A bit flatter than the G1 version, very streamlined, very much how he looked waaaay back at the start of the IDW comics before they gave him his Universe-styled body. Once again the cannon is mauverable and like the G1 toy you can place a gun in the top of the cannon. Furos can either sit in the cab or the back of the cannon opens up so he can be stood there. He looks a little weird standing right back on the pegs he is supposed to so I personally reposition it so that he looks like he is operating the gun.

Transformation
    I dunno, on the one hand as a parent who gets little time to actually play with these figures, and has a son that constantly wants them converted, these simplistic transformations are a bit of a Primus-send. On the other hand as a TF nut of over 30 years, something more challenging (yet not frustrating) would be appreciated.

Overall
    A few years ago I got the Universe Hardhead from Fatbot with the 3P upgrade which made a huge bulky toy even better, and from SS77 earlier this year I got G1 Hardhead (shows the salesyard here is a great place to shop!). This figure has pros and cons when compared to both but I will say it is perhaps the most cartoon accurate version of the character. Furos is a nice little Headmaster and the way he can interact with the tank mode in multiple ways is a plus. Overall this figure is recommended.

I'm looking forward to finding this toy locally and getting it (until such time I'm reserving judgement about it).

I understand why they can't use the name Duros, since it's most likely trademarked by Disney/Lucasfilm (hence Hasbro can only use it for Star Wars), which is a shame since Duros is actually Latin for 'hard' (which is where English gets words like "durable" and "endurance" from). Furos on the other hand isn't actually a real word, although it is similar to the word Furo which is Latin for "rage" (it's where English gets "furore" from). It's also Japanese for bathtub.

Hardhead, as his name implies, is known for being massively stubborn... but not prone to bursts of uncontrollable rage. Hardhead often refuses to retreat, not because he necessarily enjoys violence, but because he's too obstinate to know when to quit while he's ahead. I'm curious to know what Hasbro's reasoning was for choosing the name "Furos."

This is the best of the wave 1 Deluxes I think. He looks great in both modes and it's a pretty interesting transformation. I love the head and can't fathom why people are going after the Takara version.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I'm curious to know what Hasbro's reasoning was for choosing the name "Furos."
    They couldn't call him Euros so the next available letter was F...

Picked up my TT version of Hardhead and I got to say, the brief play I've had with him as been pretty enjoyable. I initially skipped him as I thought the tanks mode was a bit flat, but after seeing some pictures of the robot mode, I changed my mind.
    Glad I did, I think he's a great toys!
    He has cuffs! Now to find him a tie!

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Furos on the other hand isn't actually a real word, although it is similar to the word Furo which is Latin for "rage" (it's where English gets "furore" from). It's also Japanese for bathtub.
    Bathtubs are pretty durable!

変われ! ヘッドマスター! Kaware! Headmaster!
    戦え! ヘッドマスター! Tatakae! Headmaster!

I can't wait to get this guy, Hardhead along with Doublecross were my first Transformers as a child.

picked up the Takara version last night from the PO, and I really like him. He's a little small compared to what I was expecting - but not by too much.

I'm loving the comic/cartoon accurate head, and as above, the interactivity with different parts of the vehicle mode. Bonus is that the head is much much more easily removed that on Skullcruncher.

I can now re-create the IDW Devastation battle with Sixshot (Prime, Bee, Jazz, Prowl, Nightbeat, Hardhead, Ratchet)

I'm quite impressed with this toy and it's fairly typical of how smaller/cheaper Transformers tend to be better value for money than the bigger/dearer ones (TR Wheelie is still the most impressive TR toy that I've seen thus far). While some people may have preferred seeing the Headmasters as Voyagers, making them Deluxes has - predictably - seen them being better made relative to size and price. And of course it makes it much more affordable to collect! (my wallet isn't crying quite as badly ) Picking up two Deluxes for $9 more than a single Voyager? Yeah, I'll have the Deluxes thanks. So I for one am pretty happy to see Deluxe become the default size for most Headmasters.

This toy is pretty much everything you could want in a modern updated version of Hardhead. It carries over the aesthetics of G1 Hardhead really well but with loads of added details in the sculpting and decos. The relatively larger cannon gives Hardhead a considerably more imposing look. The transformation also emulates the G1 transformation pretty well, only with some extra steps (because the G1 toy is actually quite simplistic). While this toy's transformation is relatively basic, it still manages to be intuitive and fun.

The tank mode itself is like a little playset for other Titan Masters, capable of carrying up to seven Titan Masters! One in the driver's seat, two in the cannon, and four along the chassis of the tank; Hardhead is able to carry an entire crew. You could imagine:
    * Driver (in the driver's compartment)
    * Gunner (in the cannon's seat)
    * Loader (behind the gunner)
    * Commander (rear left of the driver)
    * x3 additional infantry (just because )
    This gives Hardhead additional play value and also further use for those individual Titan Masters.

Furos is also a pretty good adaptation of Duros (except for the name ), although for some reason known only to Hasbro the helmet is green instead of dull brown. The forward facing parts of the cheek guards have vertical lines like this [\][/] instead of the horizontal lines that resemble a grill on the G1 toy. Neither are media-like, as the Sunbow cartoon just left that part blank (as did the Marvel Comics), and the Toei anime either left it blank or had it recessed, but either way neither the diagonal lines nor the horizontal lines (as seen on the TakaraTOMY version) are media-accurate. Although the horizontal lines are more toy-accurate, the Hasbro version does feature a more toy-accurate faceplate whereas the TakaraTOMY version goes for a more media-accurate mouth. I think both versions look fine so it's really a matter of personal taste/preference (I prefer toy-accuracy).

I can't cite any real flaws with this toy. Highly recommended.

Photos!