Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Aaron Archer

From what I have read the Death threats on the Beast Machines writers were real and intentional. Some people were really that upset. It reached a point were they were getting death letters and the like not just people flaming in forums.

However it is kind of good that they didn't attend Botcon because I don't think that many fans would have been that welcoming to them even if fans keep their behaviour in check.
    ________
    Advanced Parking Guidance System
    Last edited by kup; 22nd March 2011 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    From what I have read the Death threats on the Beast Machines writers were real and intentional.
    You have to wonder how empty some peoples' lives are...

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

Most of the hate towards Archer is misdirected. People seem to think that he's been the sole person responsible for all of Transformers for the last 7 years - which is not true. He has helped to make Transformers very successful. While Takara went bankrupt and had to be bought out by another company, Hasbro and their Transformers have gone from strength to strength.

Takara didn't go bankrupt (although they nearly did) and they weren't bought out, they merged. IMO one major contributing factor to Takara's financial woes was that they seriously over-invested in Beyblade and underinvested in many other areas, including Transformers (which many Japanese Transfans were irate about).

And as kup said, as the head of the Hasbro dept in charge of Transformers, responsibility for everything Hasbro does w/ Transformers - both praise and blame - falls on his shoulders (which as Rodimus Prime hated learning, is the burden of leadership ).

As much as I may criticise some of his work (or the work of his dept) I've never disliked the guy on a personal level... I've never even met him. And as I've said before, my contact with him online back when he was directly communicating with fans was never unpleasant. I may not have always agreed with him, but I've never found him to be personally disagreeable.

I've never said "Aaron Archer did this.." I've mostly said, "these things have happened while Archer has been in charge of TFs at Hasbro" - which he is responsible for as that dept head. And where I know things aren't directly his fault I have mentioned it (e.g.: with Universe Inferno - I know that Archer wanted to call it Red Alert but other people in Hasbro screwed up and it got called Inferno).

There's a difference between disliking someone's work and disliking someone's character.

Unfortunately some people just take it way too personally and end up disliking the person, which is stupid. Then there's the other end of the spectrum where people will love a certain person just because they love their work - celebrities often fall into this category (e.g.: movie, TV and pop idols). Tom Cruise may be this kind and sensitive character in The Last Samurai, but in reality he's... a Scientologist.