Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the recent Generations toys?

Default Thoughts on the recent Generations toys?

Hi guys,
    just trying to get a general consensus **generations**, in my searching for CW figures for the boys, the girls ended up interested too. now we have a Chromia, with Arcee and Windblade on the way.

Having only Chromia to judge off doesn't seem fair. My eldest has shown an interest in the nightbeat figure and I quite like the look of the Brainstorm figure.

What are your thoughts good and bad?

These will be for play.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Soviet Fox; 5th April 2016 at 10:01 PM. Reason: I'm a fool

i think there was a poll or another thread regarding this promotion. i think the general consensus was the 'thrilling 30' promotion itself was a waste or missed opportunity but some of the toys coming out at the time were pretty good...?

Mixed bag, but worth a look. Not up there with the earlier Classics/early Generations figures but there's still some decent toys in there.

Maybe read the reviews for individual figures in the Reviews forum before buying. http://www.cliffbee.com/ also has an extensive review section from some of our more senior members.

For my part, Brainstorm is great in robot mode, but poor in alternate mode. I don't have any versions of the Bumblebee/Nightbeat mold, so I can't comment there.

I found a thread while searching:

"Thrilling 30 Wrap Up - Thoughts, Acquisitions etc"
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=19941

The listing of toys and some comments can be found here... and this is a discussion topic for the "Thrilling 30" toys. (which were just a mix and match of toys under the banner - there wasn't any unified theme)

Okay looks like I am in way over my head. I think maybe I'm just talking about the "generations" figures. The ones that come with comics but aren't CW

The Brainstorm toy is a good "play" toy compared to the other Voyagers of the line (Springer, Sandstorm, Blitzwing for instance are all much more complicated) and a very poseable robot. One note though is that the head can be hard to remove (which is needed to transform it).

The Nightbeat toy can be a bit tricky to get back into car mode, requires several bits to line up carefully. Something like Trailcutter might be a better option for a car robot. Orion Pax is also a pretty well loved toy (and he's kind of Optimus Prime ) The Armada Starscream toy would be a good fun toy too for the kids, and a good foe for the Windblade toy.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    The Brainstorm toy is a good "play" toy compared to the other Voyagers of the line (Springer, Sandstorm, Blitzwing for instance are all much more complicated) and a very poseable robot. One note though is that the head can be hard to remove (which is needed to transform it).

The Nightbeat toy can be a bit tricky to get back into car mode, requires several bits to line up carefully. Something like Trailcutter might be a better option for a car robot. Orion Pax is also a pretty well loved toy (and he's kind of Optimus Prime ) The Armada Starscream toy would be a good fun toy too for the kids, and a good foe for the Windblade toy.
    Cheers mate, just the kind of advice I was looking for

I would recommend searching for the relevant review threads in the Reviews Section of the board to see what other people think about the toys. These threads usually include copious photos too.

Quote Originally Posted by Soviet Fox View Post
    Okay looks like I am in way over my head. I think maybe I'm just talking about the "generations" figures. The ones that come with comics but aren't CW
    Same answer as before - a mixed bag (but usually decent), and I advise checking out the reviews for individual pieces you're interested in.

I like all the ones I have, and they do seem to be more 'play-friendly' than earlier Classics-y figures, though less so than the Combiner Wars. I find Skids a little limited, and I wouldn't entirely recommend Rhinox for play, but they're all workable and the Legends class figures are surprisingly enjoyable. The upcoming Titan Wars series looks pretty play-friendly as well.
    If you're looking for Classics-esque older figures, my recommendations include: Deluxe-class Cyclonus, Deluxe-class Thunderwing and/or Sky Shadow, Generations/War for Cybertron Soundwave (and indeed a lot of the WfC-based standalone figures), any of the Classics Seeker mold (Starscream is probably the easiest/cheapest to find), and a surprising amount of the non-screen characters from the Hunt for the Deceptions line.