Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any shops in Sydney worth looking at ?

Default Any shops in Sydney worth looking at ?

will be heading to sydney in november for a mates wedding and wanted to know if there was any special shops worth looking at while in the area

Cheers

I like heading up to Hobbyco at the top of QV Building (next to Town Hall station in CBD) when I'm in Sydney. Nothing really TF related there but lots of Gundam stuff and other geeky collectables there.

No.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Kings Comics, but TFwise, not much there. if any at all...but if your after comics and other geeky stuff, might be worth a look...
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Not really. All the good specialty import stores closed down years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    No.
    The sad truth

Import stores in Sydney pretty much nosedived after the GFC in 2007-08. But even if they hadn't, quite a few of them were already shutting down before then. And I don't know if they'd survive in today's market now with the widespread popularity of online shopping.

One thing that worked against brick and mortar import stores was the trade protection stuff that the government imposed; import taxes, duties, levies etc., which effectively made the toys approx. double what you'd pay in Japan at RRP. e.g. MP Ironhide (RRP 10,000JPY) would cost about $250 at an import store. Compare this with say paying about $85 from an online source like PC or HLJ etc. It wasn't the retailers' fault, their prices were just being driven up by all the stuff that they had to pay the government, and thus pass the costs onto the consumers.

Nowadays if you want to purchase a Japanese toy at marked up prices, you can just go to Toys R Us. The difference is that TRU's toys are exempt from government import duties since they're locally distributed by Hasbro.

ahh that sucks, is there anything else worthwile seeing appart from the obvious main touristy things. What's the best shopping centre to visit etc

Would you be interested in just having a small fan meet and just hanging out with local collectors and having a yarn, say at a food court or something?

Quote Originally Posted by nsm034 View Post
    ahh that sucks, is there anything else worthwile seeing appart from the obvious main touristy things. What's the best shopping centre to visit etc
    that really depends what part of Sydney you're going to be based at.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)