Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What to do with superceded or redundant MP's?

Quote Originally Posted by Raider View Post
    I will simply continue to buy them all and box them in storage then figure out display once I have room

I'm a completionist so they are like pokemon for me 'gotta catch 'em all!'
    Speaking of boxes, were you after MP boxes?

I tend to be picky with what I get, at least a little picky.

I try to generally get one version of a mould. I have waited several times for the potential repaint of a mould and ended up getting one with a preferred deco or of a preferred character. I passed up generations darkmount because the character had no meaning to me, and the repaint came out in a much more realistic paint scheme for a vehicle like that as skullgrin.

I have some doubles, I bought Road Rage because I like the mould and I think the changes made from Tracks are pretty cool. I have Exhaust simply because of it's cultural and historical significance. when they eventually release a red sunstreaker I'll probably get that for the same reason.

I triggered a discussion topic from Maz by asking him if a certain 3rd party figure was redundant now that there was an official fortress maximus. I've since purchased the figure anyway.

I have MP-01 (as the Hasbro release) I have MP-04 and the hasbro MP-10. I already don't have room to display them all.

I have a few movie figures that I consider redundant to my personal collection, and I've sold some, still trying to sell others. I don't see a point to collecting toys that I don't intend to one day display, even if it's in a rotational fashion with others coming off display to make space.

My masterpiece display is my masterpiece display, I didn't get the + version of any of the earlier moulds yet as I don't see them being different enough and then I'd essentially have doubles that I wouldn't know what to do with. I have a 'dark realm' shelf as such. I really like the colours of this new shockwave, so maybe I'll get that. the Megatron I'm of two minds on, it's kind of ugly. The new prime, I'm holding out judgement.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Being picky, or as I like to call it, following collecting guidelines, certainly helps reduce redundancy!!!

I only ever collect TT Masterpieces from the G1 cartoon. So no repaints like diaclone or the Beast Wars figures. I’ve since sold my Hasbro MPs other than keeping Hasbro Starscream, which was my very first MP. I don’t collect third party mostly because that’s a potential black hole money sink in which my wallet would get sucked into. V3 has created the dilemma of what to do with MP10 but I’ll wait and see if its worth getting.

Re. the original question, sell 'em on says I. If they've been superceded and you don't want them then give someone else a chance to enjoy them for a good price.

Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post
    Speaking of boxes, were you after MP boxes?
    Lol yeah more boxes to go in boxes! Need an mp-8 as my other grimlock box succumbed to mold and an mp-4 as I only ever bought him loose.

I generally keep mine around, I have a display shelf for older versions of characters who have been 'superseded' on the main shelf.

I have mixed feelings about this term redundancy we use to describe luxury items like collectors toys. I get that we all sort of want the best representation of a character or toy from out childhood, but I feel like we often put too much emphasis on what a character looks like. Even a collectors toy should be a fun toy first, so even if I have a new toy that's a more accurate looking version of the character if the old toy is fun then I usually want to hang onto both.

That said I've been known to sell the odd few toys who were not fun to mess with.