View Poll Results: Rubber tyres or plastic?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. I want quality in my Transformers.

6 22.22%
  • No. I don't want them to crack and rot off in 10 years.

13 48.15%
  • It depends....

8 29.63%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rubber tyres or not?

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    The superiority of rubber tyres over the durability of plastic ones. Hmmm... well think of the following:

*Given the choice would you use fossil fuels or solar power?
    *Do you date the alpha male/kinky lass or do you go the long term relationship with the nice & sane partner?
    *Do eat fast food all the time or do you try to eat balanced meals?

If you picked the first options then rubber tyres are for you - they offer more gratification and more fun in the short term

If you picked the second options then plastic wheels are for you - they are a more sustainable choice and will stand the test of time

If you wish you could combine the best of both worlds - then you are probably human
    phew.... I passed. lol

The superiority of rubber tyres over the durability of plastic ones. Hmmm... well think of the following:

*Given the choice would you use fossil fuels or solar power?
    *Do you date the alpha male/kinky lass or do you go the long term relationship with the nice & sane partner?
    *Do eat fast food all the time or do you try to eat balanced meals?

If you picked the first options then rubber tyres are for you - they offer more gratification and more fun in the short term

If you picked the second options then plastic wheels are for you - they are a more sustainable choice and will stand the test of time

If you wish you could combine the best of both worlds - then you are probably human
    I picked the kinky lass that turned into a long term relationship

I like rubber tyres on MPs but not anything from a mainline.

I was pro rubber tyres till I started collecting RID/CR. The fact most of my RID toys have at least one cracked tyre and even some of my TFC and Encore reissues have cracks have put me off rubber tyres completely.
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.

Easy no. In fact, no to rubbery plastic period. Toy swords shouldn't bend - in fact they should hurt a bit, you know, just enough to draw a bit of blood and send a grown man huddling in the corner of the room, mentally torn between wanting to play with them again, and fear of another affliction

変われ! ヘッドマスター! Kaware! Headmaster!
    戦え! ヘッドマスター! Tatakae! Headmaster!

Quote Originally Posted by SuspectimusPrime View Post
    in fact they should hurt a bit, you know, just enough to draw a bit of blood and send a grown man huddling in the corner of the room, mentally torn between wanting to play with them again, and fear of another affliction
    I dated a girl at uni just like that

Quote Originally Posted by prjkt View Post
    From what I've read, if you treat the tires every year or two, with vaseline(? I may be wrong with remembering what to use) it'll keep them from cracking/rotting
    That is correct. I've never heard it applied to toy tyres but you maintain rubber o-rings that way.
    Any figure that comes with swords demands wrist articulation.

I like rubber tyres, they look and feel way more classy than some of the horrible hard plastic wheels weve been subjected to. However I don't think they belong on non-collector lines as the rubber used doesn't handle heat or play wear well.

For those concerned about longevity, I reckon someone would make a pretty good dime if they set up a repro-tyre business

Quote Originally Posted by SuspectimusPrime View Post
    Easy no. In fact, no to rubbery plastic period. Toy swords shouldn't bend - in fact they should hurt a bit, you know, just enough to draw a bit of blood and send a grown man huddling in the corner of the room, mentally torn between wanting to play with them again, and fear of another affliction
    Not a big fan of rubberised plastic either, bendy/warped swords are the worst!

Quote Originally Posted by Lint View Post
    I like rubber tyres, they look and feel way more classy than some of the horrible hard plastic wheels weve been subjected to. However I don't think they belong on non-collector lines as the rubber used doesn't handle heat or play wear well.
    Can't argue with the feeling of classiness it brings

I dated a girl at uni just like that
    Lol!

変われ! ヘッドマスター! Kaware! Headmaster!
    戦え! ヘッドマスター! Tatakae! Headmaster!

I went with yes - using rubber reinforces the idea that it's a miniature facsimile/replica of a larger vehicle, and it's a kind of indicator of 'care'/'thought'/'effort' being put into a figure. That said, I don't mind if solid plastic tyres are used as a cost-saving measure - it would've been nice if rubber tyres were used on the Human Alliance series or RotF leader-class Optimus and its derivatives, but it's hardly a deal-breaker (for me at least).