View Poll Results: AoE Leader-Class Grimlock - worth getting?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • ME GRIMLOCK KING!!!

6 46.15%
  • Only if...

3 23.08%
  • Na

2 15.38%
  • Me Grimlock no like this version of me!

2 15.38%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toy Review - Age Of Extincion (Leader) Grimlock

I went Leader Grimlock over Voyager Grimlock, for one reason... SIZE!!!

and I will end up getting the Evolutions 2 pack Grimlock

I'm still kinda sorta on the fence about getting a AD-20 Leader Black Knight Grimlock. Unsure if it would look odd up against other deluxe Dinobots?

Quote Originally Posted by Holdobot View Post
    I got voyager also, my main reason was the elongated body of leader didn't tickle my fancy. Also with the announcement of Slog as a voyager, the scale of the Dinobots as a group display the Voyager Grrimlock would work better.
    Actually, if you accept that Grimlock is a tyrannosaurus, then to be in scale, Slog, as an apatosaurus, should be about twice as big as Grimlock. If you think Grimlock is a carnotaurus, then you'd be better off getting the one-step changer to be in scale with Slog - apatosaurus is about three times as big. But of course, then he'd be out of scale with all the other Dinobots.

Also, as a Spinosaurus, Scorn should be bigger than Grimlock too.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Yup. Which pretty much confirms that OSC Grimlock is the most in-scale version of the character. :P

I should go add that to my review.

Quote Originally Posted by Holdobot View Post
    I got voyager also, my main reason was the elongated body of leader didn't tickle my fancy. Also with the announcement of Slog as a voyager, the scale of the Dinobots as a group display the Voyager Grrimlock would work better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zommael View Post
    Actually, if you accept that Grimlock is a tyrannosaurus, then to be in scale, Slog, as an apatosaurus, should be about twice as big as Grimlock. If you think Grimlock is a carnotaurus, then you'd be better off getting the one-step changer to be in scale with Slog - apatosaurus is about three times as big. But of course, then he'd be out of scale with all the other Dinobots.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zommael View Post
    Yup. Which pretty much confirms that OSC Grimlock is the most in-scale version of the character. :P

I should go add that to my review.

I considered trying to get all the Dinobots in scale with each other, so I did consider the Voyager Grimlock. However when we have Slash who is a Velociraptor and Slog (Sludge) as an Apatosaurus the differences in size are just too huge. You would need to get a Legends-size Slash and a Leader class Slog to make it work.

Considering Grimlock in the movie looks WAY bigger than a T-Rex should (considering how tiny Optimus looks on his back and Optimus is at least 2 stories tall - T-Rex's were big but not that damn big, he should not be much bigger than Optimus at most) with horns and Strafe is a 2-headed Pteradon, I'm just thinking of them as dinosaur-like monsters rather than decent representations of dinosaurs. Therefore I'm just going to go for the toy of each character I like best and not worry about scale. I'm planning on making a display of all my different Grimlocks anyway so I prob would not be displaying him with the other AoE Dinobots.

I've decided on a Takara Black Knight Leader Grimlock. Also have the normal Hasbro Voyager so will see what scales/looks best when it comes.

Quote Originally Posted by MayzaPrime View Post
    I went Leader Grimlock over Voyager Grimlock, for one reason... SIZE!!!
    Pretty much what I'm thinking Also, to me, voyager Grimlock looks kind of 'stumpy' in tyrannosaur mode, although I concede that a shorter torso would've been nice for the leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Metro View Post
    I've decided on a Takara Black Knight Leader Grimlock.
    Having seen the preview pics, I'm inclined to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Having seen the preview pics, I'm inclined to do the same.
    Robotkingdom have 1 left.

My Black Knight Grimlock came in recently, so as with my Takara Optimus, I've decided to take some pictures which would help to compare the two.

Compared to the Hasbro version's colour scheme, this colour scheme is far more uniform. The distinctive green seems to be the result of chrome and a green coat on top. This coat is prone to chipping, sadly.

The eyes are red instead of blue.

Again, the colour scheme is more uniform, although the grey and silver dominate, this time with a few applications of orange paint. It could just be me, but the silver on the chest isn't quite as shiny as the chrome on the Hasbro version. For some reason, the eyes are blue instead of red.

In person, I actually don't mind the somewhat elongated torso in tyrannosaur mode, and the robot mode has an interesting mix of chunky and slender.

For those who don't already own this mould, you'll pay a premium over the Hasbro version for this colour scheme, but it's worth it in my opinion.