Page 91 of 136 FirstFirst ... 71818687888990919293949596101111 ... LastLast

Thread: tv shows what u into

Megatran Guest

On Channel 9 later tonight (1:24am) is a movie with title 'Griff the Invisible'.

Here's the extract:
    Griff a socially awkward office worker spends his days being bullied by his workmates and his night as superhero 'Griff the Invisible' roaming the streets of his local neighbourhood, protecting the innocent.

Quote Originally Posted by Megatran View Post
    On Channel 9 later tonight (1:24am) is a movie with title 'Griff the Invisible'.

Here's the extract:
    A girl I went to school with was a producer on that movie.
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

I've seen that twice, it's a nice story (but not a "superhero movie").

Stuck home because I caught a cold, I marathoned all of "Making A Murderer" on Netflix. Great documentary, sad and scary and frustrating. Recommend giving it a go but watch more than episode one because it goes off in a completely different direction from episode two.

Megatran Guest

What's the go with these new ethnic stereotype tv shows about to hit our small screen.

Meet the Habibs (middle eastern)
    Family Law (asian)

Just what we need. Re-enforcing stereotypes.

Megatran Guest

Three Amigos movie currently showing on Channel GO!
    (to coincide with the recent capture of El Chapo)

What's the go with these new ethnic stereotype tv shows about to hit our small screen.

Family Law (asian)

Don't forget Fresh of the Boat (Asian) and Modern Family (Caucasian). Stereotyping, if done correctly, can be quite funny and seems to be a hit at the moment. It's when people take them too seriously, or the jokes boarder on racist, that issues arise.

Personally, I'm loving "You're the Worst". Such a different type of comedy. As long as you aren't easily offended or appalled I would recommend it.

Just watch The Shannara Chronicles first two episode ...and wow.. just loving it so far... top notch special effect and visual ... finally a good fantasy series , well hoping it is .... GOT is just to slow paced

One show I'm really liking is on the new food channel (33), called Cutthroat Kitchen. It's the one cooking game show that doesn't make me want to go out and eat something I saw on screen (like most other cooking game shows do).
    The four contestants are each given $25,000 each at the start and one contestant is eliminated after each of the three cooking rounds (and giving back the cash)... but that money is there to be spent on sabotage items that are up for auction at the start of each round. The winner then keeps whatever money is left that they haven't spent.

Family Law (asian)

I've been wanting to have a semi-rant about those two upcoming shows for a while now... about how those (and other racial/ethnic demographic comedies in the past) are actually making it harder for us to teach our younger generations to not treat other races as inferior or funny. Considering the racial tensions at the moment with middle eastern ethnic groups (due to IS), I think it is a poor choice for Channel 9 to be producing a show that aims to make them a laughing stock to the white folk.

Family Law is based on a book by an Asian guy, but I don't know who created or wrote the Habibs show - I still don't think it is okay if the writers actually were Middle Eastern.
    Obviously if the writers of those shows were of a different race it would be labelled as racist to make fun of another race, but I actually don't think it is okay to have "ethnic differences" humour written by anyone, even by people of that race who should be fighting against people making fun of their culture or differences. Because the damage isn't done by the one voice saying these things, the damage is done by the large audience who then propagate and keep that derogatory humour alive among their friends and family, for their own amusement or power. (kinda like cyber, office or schoolyard bullying, with a large number of people focussing on a single target)
    Exaggerating or making fun of one's normal behaviour or cultural quirks is racist for anyone to do, especially if they are just doing it to make money... particularly on mass media (TV or film) that will impress a wide audience with new things to make fun of that race with, or to believe that the over-exaggerated behaviour done for comedic effect is the norm for all people of that race.

I'm also enjoying the 3rd season of Marvel's Agents of SHIELD, with the development of a team of Inhumans (with super powers) this season... and being on twice a week makes it quicker to get into the story.
    It's just going to be tough waiting 4-6 months for the second half of the season, as this is one of the growing number of US shows that has a mid-season break of a couple months (either to make up for less episodes, or to cover more of the ratings period).

there's a guy on the chase right now [channel 7] who is into TF and wants to invest in collectible pieces.