Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: PC Hardware and building thread

What is the best you can buy right now that will last for several years with components? I want to play games and stream

Quote Originally Posted by Autocon View Post
    What is the best you can buy right now that will last for several years with components? I want to play games and stream
    That's a bit of a loaded question do you have 2k, 5k or 20k to spend? I'm no expert so I could make vague suggestions but without a budget it's not really possible to spec something that will give best bang for buck.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Plus there are a few more variables in addition to budget, such as do you want a pre-built machine or to do it yourself? Desktop or laptop? What kind of games?
    I upgraded my friends pc a few months ago for just under $3k* so he could play and stream things like Elite Dangerous, Destiny 2 etc so I could make some suggestions based on that, but yeah it's a difficult question to answer without more information.

*this would have cost maybe $1k more if he didnt already have a case, power supply, monitor etc and more again if it had to be bought from a pc builder/shop so that's also something to take into consideration

And when you say "stream" are you talking about watching streams or streaming your gameplay to Twitch?

Desktop. Money no issue. Most likely pre-built custom made. I would blow it up if i tried to build it myself lol. Streaming all the games at top spec to twitch. I will need a beast and sadly everything is needed: keyboard, mouse, monitor etc..

Ok. So take a look at PC Case Gear and PLE for prebuilt custom PCs as PCCG ships free Australia wide on systems and PLE is local to you in WA.

For the CPU I'd recommend a system with either the Intel 8700k, Intel 8086k or Intel 9900k depending on your tolerance for price. Those CPUs will give you the most overhead for CPU video encoding to Twitch. (That assumes you are buying right away, things will probably be different in late Q2 with Ryzen 3000 launching)

You will need a minimum of 16gb of memory, but 32gb is probably the better option for streaming if you go with CPU encoding.

In a prebuilt, you will pretty much get whatever motherboard the SI gives you, but try and get a high-end Z390 board if you have a choice as the power stages are better on the higher end boards.

As for GPU. Go with either an RTX 2080 or RTX 2080 Ti. These are the two highest end cards on the market, again your tolerance for price will dictate which you get as RTX 2080 Ti's are overpriced. The good thing about the RTX line is the new NVENC encoder built into them provides much better video encoding than the old one. CPU encoding is still better, but if your viewers are comfortable with a lower encode quality you can use NVENC which is almost performance penalty free.

For storage get the most SSD storage from Samsung you can afford. A 970 Evo Plus boot drive will be good but is not mandatory. 860 Evo 2.5" SSDs are the better option though as you get way more capacity for your money. Just buy as much as you can afford. Also, get a WD Red HDD in as bigger capacity as you can for things that don't need to be loaded so quickly. High priority games and OS should be on the SSD. Family pictures and low priority games go on the HDD.

Let me know if you want more information or a detailed build list.

Have a look at PLEs pre-built gaming PCs based on Deltas advice. As a fellow sandgroper PLE is my only place for PC parts.

But before you drop a few grand on a PC, have you considered whether you have a decent internet connection for Twitch?

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum View Post
    Have a look at PLEs pre-built gaming PCs based on Deltas advice. As a fellow sandgroper PLE is my only place for PC parts.

But before you drop a few grand on a PC, have you considered whether you have a decent internet connection for Twitch?
    nbn newly connected. Just need to do game capture from source and im away!

I got a set of Corsair Vengeance RBG Pro memory today. First thing I was greeted by after installing the DIMMS and updating the Corsair iCUE software was a firmware update for the memory.

Just another thing I need to keep updated.

Here's an FYI for anyone thinking of upgrading from Ryzen first and second gen to the third gen.

Unfortunately, many first and second motherboards on the market are going to be inadequate or incompatible with Ryzen third gen. The first gen boards have a unique issue to them, the motherboard makers put too smaller bios chips on their boards so there is literally not enough memory on the board to hold the entire third gen bios. Many first and second gen boards and some third gen boards (FFS ) also have inadequate VRMs to run the 3800X or higher.

So if you are upgrading or even building a new Ryzen system there are some potential pitfalls.

For anyone wondering it was MSI that said not all of it's third gen boards are designed for the high end 8, 12 and 16 core Rzyen 3000 parts, so maybe don't buy a MSI board.