Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Acquisitions: Your best and worst?

1 - What was the total number obtained for the year (roughly, if you don't know)?
    Probably about 100. I picked up most of the animated, whole bunch of stuff from the beast wars, plus henkei/universe, and plenty of stuff from the Unicron trilogy.

2 - What was your best acquisition for the year?
    $19 Animated Voyager Starscream

3 - What was your worst, or the thing you most regretted buying?
    Transformers Crossovers Venom. Horrible looking thing in Robot mode...good vehicle mode, but it doesn't make up for the robot

4 - Most difficult item to find?
    The Universe Special Editions. Not hard, just a pain in the backside to get to. None of my local hunting grounds sold them >.<

5 - Item you never found, but still want?
    *Points to sig*

6 - Were the Animated toys in general good or bad?
    Good over all. Got some really good figure out of the line, plus the new style has been an interesting thing. Good to switch it up a bit

7 - Were the Classics 2.0/Universe 2.0 toys in general good or bad?
    Good as a alternative to Animated. Figures have been good too, cept for the paint applications on some.

8 - Were the rest of the Movie toys in general good or bad?
    Bad. Wasn't a fan of the original movie stuff. Only picked up about 6 figures, and 2 are Cybertron repaints. Most of the others just didn't appeal to me.

9 - Did you think the Encores this year were good or bad?
    Don't really know. Not really into G1 figures, so I never got any

10 - Did you think the Henkei was good or bad?
    Good. Better paint jobs in general, especially on Sunstreaker and Sideswipe

11 - Did you buy any non-transforming toys?
    Picked up the 5 Revoltech (is that the right name?) Transformers. Good action figures

12 - Did you buy any officially licensed (non-toy) merchandise?
    Comics. Mostly Trades though

13 - Did you buy the Animated DVDs?
    Nope

14 - Did you buy any of the Madman DVDs?
    Nope

15 - Did you import the Cybertron boxset?
    Nope

14 - Are there any trends in your buying that you noticed?
    Did my first international online store order, while dollar was good did plenty of that. Also due to the new networking, I started group ordering and Got assistance tracking figures down, or picking up second hand stuff.
    I have also started to note down what is where so I could post later

15 - Are there any changes to your buying habits that you're hoping to make?
    Maybe start saving, spending more wisely would help this.

16 - What are you looking forward to most in 2009?
    The second movie
    |Buy ALL my things!|Collection Thread|Current Collection Count: ~661|
    |Wants|Galaxy Force Blue Rumble|

1) 150+, i've hammered the actionmaster micromaster and gesalts sub lines from G1 last year
    2) a toss up between shattered glass and henkai crystal convoy
    3) G1 wheeljack, he's incomplete and he's gonna cost around $100 aud to compelte
    4) ani safeguard, no one had him when i was actively looking for him
    5) fort max, one day, he will be mine!
    6) quite good, with noteable exceptions (lockdown, starscream, i'm looking at you)
    7) classics 2.0 was quite good, although the qc could be better
    8) crap, most movie toys were utter crap
    9) damn straight, now we need the characters that haven't been reissued a hundred times already ( fort max, headmasters, pretwnders etc)
    10) sweet sweet chrome, sorry had to wipe my chin, yes henkai was quite good
    11) do bedroom toys count?
    12) nope, don't have the tshirts in my size
    13) yes
    14) yes.
    15) nope, i'll wait for the oz release
    16) it's mainly been G1
    17) yeah, stop spending so much bloody money!
    18) more G1 goodness, encore, universe and watching the new movie
    Incoming:
    Preordered:
    Recent Buys:

Quote Originally Posted by roller View Post
    load of Bartrim manure
    Welcome to Grantmart!:
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showth...1496#post61496

1 - What was the total number obtained for the year (roughly, if you don't know)?
    Probably about 100.

The personally drawn & signed sketch of Animated Bumblebee by Eric Siebenaler. If only a figure counts, then make it Botcon Goldbug which was complimentary from Griffin from the comps.

The Marvel Transformers Crossovers, but I refunded them anyway.

Galaxy Force Starscream and Vector Prime. Thank God I got them for a good deal on ebay.

Trypticon. Never made much effort this year and when I did, I couldn't find one within my budget.

AWESOME. Love them!

So-so I guess. Ok Ok good lar, but more on average good, not good good.

BAD. Mostly repaints of other series. Bah.

GOOD. Cause I love Takaratomy Stuff anyway.

GOOD. Rather get them any day then classic.

Just the Robot Heroes I suppose.

T-SHIRTs and yet more T-SHIRTs!

Yup both Blast from the Past and Transform and Rollout!

Yeah have the special selection of G1 cartoon favourites and the 1990s animated cartoon movie.

Nope. Icy already burnt them on DVDs for me. Maybe get it another time?

Only buy when there is a sale? No more Legends class for me.

Nope.

16 - What are you looking forward to most in 2009?[/QUOTE]
    MP Grimlock and Sunstorm and the list can go on...
    ~ JuzMel ~
    My son is taking over all my TFs!

A little to the left... a little bit more...

90-100

Encore Omega Supreme, City Commander

Animated Blitzwing (don't regret buying him, but I'm not impressed - even though I only paid $21 for him I still feel ripped off)

Nothing really

Nothing

Brilliant!

Good - but not as good as Henkei!

Didn't buy any (so I guess that means 'bad')

Brilliant! Best year ever!!!

Brilliant!!

What's the point??? J/K - didn't buy any!

Yessum!

No - waiting for season boxsets

Yessum!

Nope!

Not buying as much G1 as I'd like - something I plan to rectify in 2009!

As above!

G1, the next (sigh) movie, and more Animated goodness!

Anybody who used words other than "good" and "bad" gets an Energon cookie! The rest of y'all are just darned unimaginative.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

Thanks for the cookie! *gobble gobble*

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime
    Mediocre.

Quote Originally Posted by STL View Post
    Anybody who used words other than "good" and "bad" gets an Energon cookie! The rest of y'all are just darned unimaginative.
    I used 'meh'.

*eats cookie*

MV75 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

20. I think, dunno, not many.

The box with most of my original TF toys in it.

Lego galaxy commander and a tandy armatron. Err, gah, predaking.

Never bought.

Generally bad. But that was due to poor craftsmanship putting me off from even trying most of them.

Bad, because they were too late in reordering.

Freaking awesome.

Dunno yet, havn't got cyclonus yet.

Lego.

Joking right?

No.

Yep, I'm being very selective in mainstream local releases and buying encore instead as they come.

Yea, a disposable income, got that one.... ummmm... buy more encores.

More encores. More combiner encores at that.
    Code:
    O o 
      _
     / --------------------------------
    |      IMMA FIRIN MA LAZAR!!!
     \_--------------------------------

Thanks to my new database, I have very detailed answers on a lot of this which is quite fun but at the same time very very scary.

735 Transformers, 50 non-transforming toys: representing an 86.2% increase in how my collection has grown as of the end of last year.

My total expenditures though only increased by 51.33% so I spent less per figure but I a lot of 2007's costs were because of the Botcon set.

Has to be Crystal Convoy. Nothing could really top that this, this year but City Commander came very damned close. If that new head that's available in Singapore wast he head used, I'm pretty sure it would've come home first.

Have to be the recolour Real Gear. Pure impulse buy b/c there was nothing better to buy and tney were darned cheap. My sister plays with them now.

Nothing at retail really. Online, SD-21 General Galvatron is the one toy I really really want but have failed to get. I missed out twice, the most recent time being last Friday morning when I lost a bid at 5am cos I slept through it after getting home at 4 despite slapping myself several times to stay awake. I woke up at 7 o'clock with my laptop on next to me to curse myself and then doze off back to sleep.

Same as above, really.

I loved how their engineering was something some groundbreaking. It took the toys in an all new direction and opened up a lot of possibilities. The QC did mar the line though I suspect it has to do with the fact taht these are new styles they're trying out and will take them time to master.

The other aspect that I find strong about them is the way the toys resonate character so well. While Hasbro have gotten better at that with Classics 2.0/Universe 2.0 as well, it really shines in Animated where each mold is very unique and difficult to repaint without it being so out of place to repaint.

Mixed. The QC and paint applications were poor at times. The one good thing it did start was several ideas for QC related Soapboxes. In general though, I'm just happy to have the line back. I love modern toys.

The Walmart Exclusives were generally a delight even though they belonged in the Classics line. Its very sad though that hte reason why I liked the rest of the Movie toys was b.c not of the molds but b/c of their adaptability to Classics.

Of the truly Movie toys, Stockade was mediocre at best, Incinerator was above average but hardly excellent.

Exceptional. They gave many a collector the opportunity to possess some vintage stuff that would be beyond the grasp of many fans and I hope it continues even though I've had all of the re-issues to date.

Excellent. Its so still hard to believe it only started out this year in April. But I've loved every moment of it and even though I've stagnated b/c of financial reasons, I will complete Henkei in due course. The one exceptional repaint was definitely Optimus Prime in my mind. I liked the mold a lot before that but the Henkei paint applications took my love for the mold to a far higher level and now the mold is among my top 10 molds ever b/c of it.

That said, QC was an issue that has been quite prevalent and I'm very disappointed in that.

Robot Heroes, Revoltech Hot Rod and Starscream (among two of my favourite acquisitions of the year) and Diamond Select Battle Damaged Prime Bust, Jazz and Reformatted Megatron.

Nope

Nope

Nope.

Nope. Intend to though.

16 - Are there any trends in your buying that you noticed?

Japanese Flavours
    - My spending on Japanese toys this year increased by 157.85% compared to my previous almost 3 years of collecting.
    - This has been driven in large part due to the higher quality paint applications on toys that I love. For me, Superlink and Galaxy Force provided far better versions of Cybertron - a toy line I credit with bringing out my love for modern toys which is another trend that's been emerging. I've found I cannot simply pass up on better packaged and coloured toys. Henkei is the ultimate extension of this though I don't think the packaging is necessarily better.

Displayability
    - The number of toys in my collection that are bought with displayability (ie. MIB or MISB) in mind has increased by 61.42%. This has comes about b/c of two reasons. The first was Jaydisc and theDamned who have quite iimpressive displays. The second was b/c of Hasbro's change in packaging - ie. Classics 2.0 and Animated. The side on views of boxes has just changed how space can be used for display.

Doubles
    - My rate of doubles is only at 9% which was a staggering surprise to me. I had suspected I was armed with way more but I was wrong but I guess that as part of my overall collection, the doubles are veyr miniscule.
    - That however is about to dramatically change, however. I'm nearing the end of everything I want to buy in terms of TFs. I'm not a completist by any stretch of the imagination and as such am far more likely to go back into buying doubles of vintage toys I already have or toys I love.

Modernisation
    I'm moving away quickly from vintage toys. This is very new to me as when I started, G1 was everything. In about 2 years I amassed close to 80% of G1 and it formed the vast majority of my collection. Now, G1 has dwindled from 33.4% of my collection in 2007 to 23.71%. And its unlikely that I'll ever complete out many of the Japanese lines other than the big ones.

What's happened? I've developed a love for modern sensibiltiies. I love the modern engineering that gives us great poseability and playability. G1 is a fragile and nostalgic throwback, it lacks the play value of modern toys. So for me personally, this transformation has been rather dramatic as I progresed from a once "modern is inferior" to "modern is superior" mindset. And that's just b/c I enjoy everything that modern toys offer us. Better packaging, better toys, better artwork etc, etc.

17 - Are there any changes to your buying habits that you're hoping to make?
    I hope to stop buying Legends altogether as well as useless repaints of characters and molds I do not like just b/c they're cheap. I shop frequently b/c its something my better half and I do a lot of and a lot of times i buy stuff b/c its just so cheap. *Looks at TFM Camshaft with a dirty stare*

18 - What are you looking forward to most in 2009?
    The rest of Henkei. I'm uncertain of where the movie will take us so the toys are still an uncertainty to me but images of a certain G1 favourite car surfaced today and my hopes are being dashed.

But there's still one thing I'm definitely looking forward to and that is customs. I intend to get more done this year and I have some big ones in store that will be a delight for me personally.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

Quote Originally Posted by STL
    So for me personally, this transformation has been rather dramatic as I progresed from a once "modern is inferior" to "modern is superior" mindset.
    You actually once thought "modern is inferior"? Wow... on the whole I totally agree that G1 is absolutely a fragile and nostalgic throwback - as much as I love it.

Having said that there are several toys which are poorly made by modern standards - like Animated Grimlock and Blitzwing, by 2008 standards I find them to be rather underwhelming toys whereas G1 Blitzwing and Grimlock are very good toys by 1985 standards.

But so long as a modern toy is made well by modern standards, then I agree that modern is superior. Take Henkei Hound for example... that toy is pure awesomesauce. Or to use examples from Animated, Blackarachnia and Prowl. Very well done figures..