Ozformers Transformers Club of Australia

Go Back   Ozformers Transformers Club of Australia (otca.com.au) > Info and Activities > Ratchet's Repair Bay & ID/transformation Help

Sightings/Sales

Old 10th March 2018, 08:18 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Default Classics Ramjet wing broken

Hey yíall, Iíve managed to break the post one of the little wings on the back of my Seeker set Ramjet and Iím fretting. Iíve tried superglue glue between the post and the wing, but it seems to give way completely when I attempt to rotate it for transformation. Is there something I can do to keep it on flush, or someone I can see to get it reattached permanently?

Please help and thanks.
Old 10th March 2018, 09:36 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidoofdude View Post
Hey yíall, Iíve managed to break the post one of the little wings on the back of my Seeker set Ramjet and Iím fretting. Iíve tried superglue glue between the post and the wing, but it seems to give way completely when I attempt to rotate it for transformation. Is there something I can do to keep it on flush, or someone I can see to get it reattached permanently?

Please help and thanks.
There are some things you can do that *might* work better than superglue by itself, but I can't go into detail now - I'll post a longer reply as soon as I can. Fret not!

I'll check my Ramjet as well to see which piece you're talking about.

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!
Old 11th March 2018, 11:17 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-bot View Post
There are some things you can do that *might* work better than superglue by itself, but I can't go into detail now - I'll post a longer reply as soon as I can. Fret not!

I'll check my Ramjet as well to see which piece you're talking about.
It's the little stub present on all the deluxe seekers that connects to the wing joint.
Old 12th March 2018, 04:20 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Iíve had a look at mine. Iím not sure I can be of much help.

Firstly, Iíd try Loctite glue (Loctite 415, something like that). It adheres fiercely, my understanding of it is that it slightly melts the two pieces of plastic itís sticking together to create a strong bond. Problem is youíd need the tiniest bit for that particular piece, and not sure how that would go if thereís already some glue residue there. And you get that stuff on your fingers and it can be strife. So not sure this is a good solution.

A much more tricky option is to create a new nub, maybe a pin with the end filed round and smooth, but that would involve drilling a hole in the engine part of the wing and itís the kind of thing thatís desperately easy to screw up, and the outcome (if negative) can be irreversible. Not something to try if youíre not confident.

On my Ramjet, the friction of the pin that the wing pivots on is quite strong, so even if I cut the nubs off mine, I wouldnít have an issue keeping it in place in both modes. If yours is loose, maybe you could solidify that joint a bit more with some (like, a tiny amount of) nail polish, dripped into the bit of the jet engine that forms the robot heel, right where the pin inserts. You drip it in and then move the joint around until it dries (a few minutes). It shouldnít be visible unless youíre really looking for it, and will improve the friction of that pivot, so the nubs further along the wing become unnecessary.

Hope all that makes sense!

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
Old 12th March 2018, 04:23 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

(Thereís a fair chance Iíve completely misunderstood the problem. If so, can you post pics of the offending piece?)

Old 18th March 2018, 07:14 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Yeah, here: https://imgur.com/gallery/cVaVh

As you can see the post is detached from the wing part, somehow. There is a litte bit of superglue residue left on the wing, but so far every time it has just snapped right off again when attempting to rotate.

I need something to attach the post to the wing, which I can then force back into the hole on Ramjetís torso, the latter or rotating it after the latter causing the breakage again.

Hope that helps.
Old 18th March 2018, 07:44 PM
Rank 7 - Section Mod

This isn't a simple fix as the tolerance is pretty tight. Superglue isn't going to work as it has very poor torsional strength. If I were to attempt to fix this I would have to use both super glue and styrene plastic melted with cement. I have a jar of Tamiya extra thin cement into which I drop pieces of cut up model sprue. After a couple of hours it turns into a slurry which binds parts and fills gaps. You'll have to remove the broken post, drill holes in both wing and post to accept a pin (a bit of stiff wire will work), superglue and apply the styrene slurry mix, then somehow clamp it in place to dry. Use one of the Loctite superglues, my favourite is Powerflex.

A diagram might explain it better. Like I said it's going to be a difficult fix.

Old 18th March 2018, 08:34 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

I did rather misunderstand the issue. Sorry Ďbout that!

Gamblorís advice is far better than mine!

Old 18th March 2018, 08:57 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamblor916 View Post
This isn't a simple fix as the tolerance is pretty tight. Superglue isn't going to work as it has very poor torsional strength. If I were to attempt to fix this I would have to use both super glue and styrene plastic melted with cement. I have a jar of Tamiya extra thin cement into which I drop pieces of cut up model sprue. After a couple of hours it turns into a slurry which binds parts and fills gaps. You'll have to remove the broken post, drill holes in both wing and post to accept a pin (a bit of stiff wire will work), superglue and apply the styrene slurry mix, then somehow clamp it in place to dry. Use one of the Loctite superglues, my favourite is Powerflex.

A diagram might explain it better. Like I said it's going to be a difficult fix.
Thanks for the help. Do you have a list of stuff I should get and where I could possibly get them? This is a bit out of my wheelhouse.
Old 19th March 2018, 07:59 AM
Rank 7 - Section Mod

I'll send you a PM.