Ozformers Transformers Club of Australia

Go Back   Ozformers Transformers Club of Australia (otca.com.au) > Beyond the Spacebridge (Non-Transformers Section) > Non-toy stuff

Sightings/Sales

Old 27th July 2017, 07:04 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
So the Comm Bank seem to have put up their "foreign transaction" charges. Normally it's a couple of dollars at most for a foreign transaction but my MP Dirge that cost about $240 AUD got a nasty $12 foreign transaction fee on it. Looks like I'll be using Paypal to convert my payments to AUD from now on.
no way, there are several cards around that will allow for purchases in foreign currency at the actual exchange rate. I'm not sure about them all but I use the basic card from bank west. I save about 3 to 4 % of the purchase price by not using the pay pal exchange rate.

explore your options a bit.
My tentative foray into Reviewing Movie Human alliance Characters: Coming Soon
Old 27th July 2017, 07:26 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Quote:
So the Comm Bank seem to have put up their "foreign transaction" charges. Normally it's a couple of dollars at most for a foreign transaction but my MP Dirge that cost about $240 AUD got a nasty $12 foreign transaction fee on it. Looks like I'll be using Paypal to convert my payments to AUD from now on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
no way, there are several cards around that will allow for purchases in foreign currency at the actual exchange rate. I'm not sure about them all but I use the basic card from bank west. I save about 3 to 4 % of the purchase price by not using the pay pal exchange rate.

explore your options a bit.
I've got a Citibank Plus Everyday Account that comes with a Visa debit. It has zero currency fees for international transactions. Highly recommend it, I just use mine when buying online. Best thing is it's free.
Old 28th July 2017, 12:06 AM
Rank 5 - Dedicated Member

Quote:
Just to let you know, if you pay with Paypal but use your credit card as the funding source CBA will still charge you an international transaction fee if the merchant is overseas. I noticed this when I bought a humble bundle recently, I paid in AUD through Paypal but used my CC as the funding source and got charged an international transaction fee from CBA because the merchant/store (in this case humble bundle) isn't based in Australia. So if you're going to pay via Paypal have the funding source as your actual bank account instead or you'll still pay fees
Old 28th July 2017, 11:02 AM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHyren View Post
Just to let you know, if you pay with Paypal but use your credit card as the funding source CBA will still charge you an international transaction fee if the merchant is overseas. I noticed this when I bought a humble bundle recently, I paid in AUD through Paypal but used my CC as the funding source and got charged an international transaction fee from CBA because the merchant/store (in this case humble bundle) isn't based in Australia. So if you're going to pay via Paypal have the funding source as your actual bank account instead or you'll still pay fees
I've found that on my Commbank AMEX Paypal will charge from overseas, but on my Commbank MC they charge locally.

Anyway I called the bank to get clarification on how the international transaction fees work. Turns out on AMEX they are getting rid of the international transaction fees and I won't get them anymore after my new billing cycle starts, but MC still will have fees.
Old 28th July 2017, 03:03 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

OMFG, WOULD IT KILL APPLE TO MAKE SOME BEATS HEADPHONES THAT DON'T BREAK SHORTLY AFTER WARRANTY PERIOD ENDS!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 31st July 2017, 09:46 AM

Why would you sit in the deepest darkest corner of the train when you know you have to get out when the train is at its fullest. Use some foresight and sit closer to the doors
Old 31st July 2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
OMFG, WOULD IT KILL APPLE TO MAKE SOME BEATS HEADPHONES THAT DON'T BREAK SHORTLY AFTER WARRANTY PERIOD ENDS!!!!!!!!!!!
What model/price/date purchased?
Old 31st July 2017, 10:43 AM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum View Post
Why would you sit in the deepest darkest corner of the train when you know you have to get out when the train is at its fullest. Use some foresight and sit closer to the doors
The opposite rant to that is, Stop standing in the doorway, move into the train so others can get on.

Generally people are dumb sheep.
My tentative foray into Reviewing Movie Human alliance Characters: Coming Soon
Old 31st July 2017, 11:06 AM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
The opposite rant to that is, Stop standing in the doorway, move into the train so others can get on.

Generally people are dumb sheep.
Worst ones are those who cram on the train as soon as doors open and don't let people get off first.... gdi I hate that so much...
Sales Thread
Old 31st July 2017, 11:17 AM

I honestly don't get the rush to get a train seat. Sure if you've been on your feet all day, but if you're like me and been sitting at a desk, then take the time to stand.