Page 27 of 154 FirstFirst ... 71722232425262728293031323747 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Critics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    MAN OF STEEL SPOILERS AHEAD

I also liked how the movie ended with Clark joining the Daily Planet and being introduced to Lois, and the audience is left wondering if the disguise works on Lois or if she recognised him but was playing along.
    What audience thought that she didn't recognise him? It's clear Lois recognises him as the same Clark Kent she was hanging around with for most of the movie. Memory erasing kisses are from another Superman movie series.

The thing I liked most about this film was that it completely did away with the "Lois doesn't know Clark is Superman" story. Instead, she gets to demonstrate that she is a talented experienced journalist and tracks down the mysterious super man to his parent's house. Sure, Clark eventually gets to set up the mild mannered reporter gig, but Lois is better served by never having to go through the "blinded by love" thing (even though I also liked that explanation from Lois and Clark). I've never seen Smallville so I'm not sure how they handled it all, so I thought the movie's take was great.

Superman. Good action movie. Recommend seeing it at the movies? Yes unless you have a big screen TV for the action sequences at home. Better than the silly movie involving a crystal Island. 4/5 for action movie

Epic. More humorous moments than DM2 and Monsters Uni but not by much. Story wise....anyone seen fern gully/Arthur and the Invisibles? Plot is not original but a fun and enjoyfull romp. 4/5 for kids flick

Monsters Uni. Not as good as the first story wise but still fun. Sets up the original well with characters. The thing about Mike not being scary enough, so goes about his dream from a different path, is a bit surprising considering it is an American movie and you would think it all works out in the end...well the more obvious ending at least. This was a nice change, might go over younger kids heads though. 4/5 for kids flick

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    What audience thought that she didn't recognise him? It's clear Lois recognises him as the same Clark Kent she was hanging around with for most of the movie. Memory erasing kisses are from another Superman movie series.

The thing I liked most about this film was that it completely did away with the "Lois doesn't know Clark is Superman" story. Instead, she gets to demonstrate that she is a talented experienced journalist and tracks down the mysterious super man to his parent's house. Sure, Clark eventually gets to set up the mild mannered reporter gig, but Lois is better served by never having to go through the "blinded by love" thing (even though I also liked that explanation from Lois and Clark). I've never seen Smallville so I'm not sure how they handled it all, so I thought the movie's take was great.
    Yes Lois does know Clark is superman, why the whole welcome to The Planet send up....ie Daily Planet. Lois "Welcome to the Planet" Clark "something orather"

Saw World War Z during the week. It was alright, but more thriller where the enemies are zombies than a zombie flick. It suffers from some convenient accidents and stupid logic choices but overall a silly and enjoyable movie. Cannot recommend it for movie ticket prices, as it would be fine on a normal tv.

Forgettable summer film fluff. Entertaining as long as you don't think too hard about it.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Saw Lone Ranger last night.

A real balls up, ham fisted slapstick jammed in every square inch, overuse of CG, insensitive and generally a very boring film.

Depp basically plays, Jack Sparrow, playing Tonto and just pulls this stupid "serious" face throughout the film.

So wanted that stage coach set from Lego before. Not anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by christalcase View Post
    Monsters University:

Fun movie, but lacking the imagination that made Monsters, Inc and other Disney Pixar films so amazing. The humor was still good and it wasn't boring at all. The bond formed by Mike and Sullivan will make you feel good (but it won't tug your heart like Sullivan and Boo). Some small details that linked itself to Monsters, Inc was appreciated (like how the rivalry between Randall and Sullivan formed) so that it felt like a sequel instead of a generic college movie using Monsters, Inc characters. I felt the final act (the real reason that Oozma Kappa won and what subsequently happened afterwards) was jarring compared to the rest of the movie. It felt unneeded and cheapened the what the film was trying to achieve. Overall, worth watching.
    Yeah, the nods and stuff was nice, but that ending was kind of disappointing for me. Albeit, it was pretty good but like you said, it just didn't feel as Magical for me.

An interesting comment about super hero movies:
    http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/vid...little-bitches
    I totally agree with this guy about a balance being needed. Michael Bay's Transformers films were too much on the opposite end of the spectrum (for the Transformers themselves) -- it was too much about their godlike abilities and what they could do etc., with bugger all about WHO they were and what internally motivated them. It's hard for audiences to really invest in any of the Transformers characters really, rather the films tried to get audiences to invest in the human characters... which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but again - balance. E.T. had audiences emotionally investing in both Elliott and E.T., not just Elliott.

This is how Superman grooms himself:

Come on Gok, you are a geek. You should know all these things would be covered

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I actually prefer Superman Returns. It's a lot more challenging (but satisfying IMO) to continue from existing continuity rather than rebooting, which always seems like the "lazy" option to me. I really like how it continued from the events of Superman II; Lois' conscious memories have been suppressed, but part of her subconscious still remembers having been married to Superman (or at very least, that Superman is the father of her child). And I do like how Lois did bear Superman's son -- showing that there was a consequence to their marriage. At the end of Superman II Clark used his "super kiss" to wipe Lois' memories to save her the mental anguish of worrying about him, and then between that and SR buggered off to search for Krypton... all the time not realising what the effect that would have on Lois (and indeed on the people of Earth who'd come to adore him). The movie showed us the conflict between Clark wanting to find other survivors so he wouldn't be the last of his kind versus the emotional ties that he has with friends and family on Earth, and how the choice that he made has impacted on those relations. He also didn't consider that leaving Earth before Lex Luthor was trialled would have negative consequences too, as Superman wasn't able to appear as a key witness in Luthor's trial - thus failing to contain Luthor's menace to society.

I really liked the relationship between Superman and Jason. It formed a sort of closure for Clark's search for his own people, but in the meantime he had a half Kryptonian son to care for. Repeating Jor-El's soliloquy to Jason was an incredibly moving and emotionally powerful moment. And that's the thing... Superman is a character whose strength and weaknesses aren't really physical -- all that is just superficial. His true strengths and flaws are found in his character... in who Clark Kent is. And that was something that I found was lacking in Man of Steel.

In Superman Returns, Superman absolutely goes on a journey of change as he realises the consequences of his decision to leave Earth and what he can do the change things (e.g. stop Luthor, acknowledge Jason as his son) and accept things that he shouldn't change (e.g. Lois' marriage to Richard). Speaking of Richard, he is the REAL hero of the story. He was there when Lois needed him; caring for her and Jason who's not even his son (but loves him as if he were his own). He also risks his life to save Lois and Jason (and later Superman), which takes much more courage to do because he doesn't have super powers. Richard unconditionally loves a woman that he knows is in love with another man, and for a boy who isn't his biological son. Superman selfishly tries to come between Richard and Lois, although by the end of the film he's undergone change and realises that he has no right to break up Lois' family -- a family she formed because he chose to leave Earth. Superman had the choice to have a family with Lois, but he chose to walk away and Lois chose to move on with her life. Even with all of Superman's Godlike powers, there's nothing he can do to change that (at least, not without causing more emotional pain which would make him an incredibly selfish douche). I like this sort of real-world consequence based stories that force the protagonist to self reflect and undergo change.

Look at Clark when we first see him as an adult in the earlier part of Man of Steel versus who he is at the very end. He's completed a series of tasks and has acquired new knowledge, but how has he actually changed as a person? Stories are driven by character development... no characterisation = no story (all it becomes is a simple narrative of a series of events).

"I'm sorry. This is my fault. I've been a lousy father. Blind to what I have. So obsessed with being undervalued that I undervalued all of you. So caught up in the past that I... you are my greatest adventure. And I almost missed it." - Bob Parr/Mr. Incredible (The Incredibles)
    ^That pretty much sums up Clark's journey in Superman Returns, only without the "almost." Clark has missed it and needs to move on (oh, and that the source of his obsession what his search of personal identity, not a quest to be valued). For that reason I was really hoping that they would make a sequel to Superman Returns, but alas that hasn't been so.
    Sorry but if you like Superman returns you are not a 'True fan'

My 9-year-old gave what I thought was an accurate description of the evil Kryptonians - the Flash mixed with the Hulk