Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Toys R Us administrator has announced windup

As I recall Toyworld was huge in the 80's but then scaled down. So this is the complete end for TRU even in America? Or just a massive scaling down?

I was talking to the girl at toys r us morley who said they close on the 22nd. I saw a worker stacking stock on a trolley lift thing. I think they may sell stock to other stores to recoup money rather than leave items to go on sale.

it's pretty standard practice to gradually consolidate stock to a few more popular stores towards the end of a liquidation like this. At least, I've observed that before. it reduces their staff overheads and gives them time to vacate a lot of the retail space as early as possible.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Agreed. They may also at some point decide to sell the rest via an auction site or clearing house. Like OzBargains or Mighty Ape..

Quote Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post
    How come some stores are already closing whilst others are still going a bit longer?
    Retail leases. Usually they'd have a lease contract up to a certain point, or otherwise they negotiate some kind of exit date at a natural break point (e.g. end of the last month that they were paid up until).

Maybe some landlords will just leave them be until they secure a new tenant, but some of them will probably also be creditors, so they'd want to mitigate their losses.

Quote Originally Posted by zzyss View Post
    Retail leases. Usually they'd have a lease contract up to a certain point, or otherwise they negotiate some kind of exit date at a natural break point (e.g. end of the last month that they were paid up until).
    Probably the second bit. The administrator would be negotiating those break dates. I don't think the leases all end this month, somehow.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister