Ozformers Transformers Club of Australia

Go Back   Ozformers Transformers Club of Australia (otca.com.au) > Info and Activities > Kup's Discussions and Questions

Sightings/Sales

View Poll Results: Will you continue to collect Takar MPs
Yes, I will continue with all TT MPs 4 8.70%
Yes, I will continue collecting most/many TT MPs 16 34.78%
I might still get the occasional release 18 39.13%
I'm seriously having second thoughts about continuing, 5 10.87%
I'm out, my wallet can't take anymore. 3 6.52%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27th December 2018, 02:55 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Whatís funny to me is people are already saying MP44 is not worth the price when itís still more than half year away from release.

If TT could up their QC game the MP line can easily compete with the best of those so called collctor-oriented toy lines from Japan imho.
Old 27th December 2018, 05:01 PM
Rank 5 - Dedicated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublespy View Post
Whatís funny to me is people are already saying MP44 is not worth the price when itís still more than half year away from release.
Which is entirely TT's fault. The Masterpiece line has been going for more than 15 years now, believe it or not, and TT have priced it at a certain point, with a certain expectation. Even MP-43 didn't exceed the price point of MP-04, which I recall going for the $400 mark. Now, the line suddenly jumps 150% on its highest price point, while giving us engineering we had on MP-36, which still fell in that price structure.

No one, least of all TT, can be surprised at people balking at the price, when they set the expectation and then soured the deal with a shock worsening of things from the perspective of the expectations they had set in the minds of fans.

It's like how Paramount were somehow "surprised" when they offered Chris Pine and Christ Hemsworth a particular amount to reprise their roles for the sequel to Star Trek Beyond, but then wondered why both walked, when after being promised that amount, they were then told the amount would be way less than it was.
Old 27th December 2018, 07:15 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowspearer View Post
Which is entirely TT's fault. The Masterpiece line has been going for more than 15 years now, believe it or not, and TT have priced it at a certain point, with a certain expectation. Even MP-43 didn't exceed the price point of MP-04, which I recall going for the $400 mark. Now, the line suddenly jumps 150% on its highest price point, while giving us engineering we had on MP-36, which still fell in that price structure.

No one, least of all TT, can be surprised at people balking at the price, when they set the expectation and then soured the deal with a shock worsening of things from the perspective of the expectations they had set in the minds of fans.

It's like how Paramount were somehow "surprised" when they offered Chris Pine and Christ Hemsworth a particular amount to reprise their roles for the sequel to Star Trek Beyond, but then wondered why both walked, when after being promised that amount, they were then told the amount would be way less than it was.
I would look at yen price only, and the pre-order price with discount isnít actually all that bad. Not sure how the MP 44 pre-orders are going right now but people had similar reaction when MP Dinobot was announced (then again with BW Megatron). As far as I could tell, Dinobot already sold out (aka made their initial sales target) and thereís still demand on the market so TT are making a second run. Yes the QC issue wasnít ideal (thatís why I said TT need to up their QC game), and yes Dinobot mightíve been a smaller production run but still..good sales number is good.

Comparing MP04 and MP44 prices isnít really fair since so many years have passed. People can say itís expensive all they want, but I personally would refrain from comment like ďitís not worth the priceĒ until I have it in my hand.
Weve already had a sneak peak at the engineering and it was much more involved than Iíd imagined for a G1 Optimus Prime.

Even then itís all subjective. I am happy to pay this kind of money to get a new MP Prime that matches aesthetically with my awesome MP 36 Megatron, and that could well be the ďdefinitiveĒ cartoon Prime for a long time coming.
Old 28th December 2018, 09:32 AM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Quote:
I would look at yen price only, and the pre-order price with discount isnít actually all that bad. Not sure how the MP 44 pre-orders are going right now but people had similar reaction when MP Dinobot was announced (then again with BW Megatron). As far as I could tell, Dinobot already sold out (aka made their initial sales target) and thereís still demand on the market so TT are making a second run. Yes the QC issue wasnít ideal (thatís why I said TT need to up their QC game), and yes Dinobot mightíve been a smaller production run but still..good sales number is good.
I've heard that they're going to reissue MP Dinobot. Evidently sales must have been very good to elicit that response. Although MP10 reissues are still shelfwarming, so...
Quote:
Comparing MP04 and MP44 prices isnít really fair since so many years have passed.
Even if we were to compare MP01/04 with MP44, as you said, the level of design and engineering in this toy is far above that of MP01/04. As I've said before, each time an MP concept "upgrades" we typically see an approximate doubling in price. MP10 was about twice as expensive as MP01. MP Sunstreaker was about twice the price as MP Lambor. MP36 was about twice the price of MP05. And MP44 is roughly twice the price of MP10.

If people want double the goodness then it's going to cost double the price. Don't like it? Get the cheaper version. As I said, you can still really easily find MP10s. In fact, here's an MP10 going for 21600JPY (approx $280). If people find MP44 too rich, then go get an MP10. Seemples!

Starring Bumblebee as Judd Nelson
For Sale: MISB Predaking, Starscream, Retro Vol 2 and more!
Transformers collection: 2262
Old 28th December 2018, 07:05 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

It just means being more selective with my purchases.
Old 12th February 2019, 08:44 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Holy revive!!!

As the prices are headed, yea nah. I want MP BW Megs and Black Arachnia, but as for versions 2.0 or more, I can live without them. Collecting masterpiece figures are almost becoming an elite thing where people with disposable incomes can buy them.
Old 13th February 2019, 09:46 AM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

I'm certainly going to be more selective if they keep trending the way of MP bb 2.0

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)