Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: AusPost launching a US mail forwarding service

I'd been using Shipito as my mail forwarder for years.

Just received the delivery email. Now on to step 2 & aust post

does it seem to be taking a long time?
    UP UP CRONULLA

Follow Me on:

Twitter - @Sharky_Wattsy

A little; it took a week from placing the order to delivery to my bachelor pad, but they did use UPS Ground Service with tracking, so that may be.a reason as to why

ok, received my payment request for shopmate....

Base charge:$24.95
    Weight charge:$35.70
    Voucher discount:- $12.13

As you can see, clearly not the cheapest option out there & needless to say that I won't be partaking in an experiment like this any time soon

Australia Post are charging me for:
    Package value: 2.9kg

When UPS Ground have it listed in their systems at
    PackageWeight:2.20 lbs. that's roughly 1kg.

In short, my items were going to cost $60 to ship, but using the supplied promotional code i "saved" $12.
    Ive emailed them my query in regards to the amount charged. Now to wait until the package arrives and chase up the difference in shipping weight costs. Joy.

Megatran Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
    Your such an Awesome Guinea Pig
    Awesome Guinea Pig.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    Australia Post are charging me for:
    Package value: 2.9kg

When UPS Ground have it listed in their systems at
    PackageWeight:2.20 lbs. that's roughly 1kg.
    That's disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythirax View Post
    That's disgusting.
    Tell me about it. I get that there's a basecharge and 500 gram weight increments which are charged accordingly, but 3 times what the parcel actually weighs?...

The mental giants probably took one look at it and went ahhye fink dis wayyz aboout free keeylos aheee heee heee.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    Tell me about it. I get that there's a basecharge and 500 gram weight increments which are charged accordingly, but 3 times what the parcel actually weighs?...

The mental giants probably took one look at it and went ahhye fink dis wayyz aboout free keeylos aheee heee heee.
    And this is exactly what I was talking about with the weight calculations. It is ridiculous. Why would they not just weigh it and charge actual weight as opposed to cubic weight which will always be far heavier for TFs.

I've been working in forwarding and shipping for the last 10years and can answer most of anyones questions.

when it comes to air freight they will charge what ever is higher weight VS CBM so the below is correct. If the item takes up more space in the contianer they will charge you by CBM as they lose space for average weight cargo in small boxes. if the weight is lets say 40kgs but its only 2 small size boxes they will charge you by weight.

Each container has a payload rating of how much it can carry then, so you have to fill it up and divide by shippers / receivers cargo space x weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Raider View Post
    And this is exactly what I was talking about with the weight calculations. It is ridiculous. Why would they not just weigh it and charge actual weight as opposed to cubic weight which will always be far heavier for TFs.

Dangerous cargo is very annoying especially batteries for airfreight, but if you declare it when you send it they put a big sticker on the box saying "PACKAGE CONTAINS *whatever type of batteries*". the problem with batteries and reason why they dont like to carry it is the same reason your not supposed to put them or lighters into check in luggage because they can start fires in the cargo hold just from shifting. No one wants to be held responsible for fires on planes. If you misdeclare DG cargo and something goes wrong you can expect some jail time coming your way and a crazy fine.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Looks like it doesn't seem to matter what type of batteries are in the toys, as I was trying to send an older Movie toy in the mail to China, and I was called back the next day because it was rejected. They said that they don't accept any batteries in mail that has to go by air (which also affects mail to and from Perth and the east coast)... so I looked up their dangerous goods PDF, which is dated 2009, and it says that non-lithium batteries like the ones that come pre-packed in our toys, are okay in airmail, provided they are removed and stored separately within the package.

I don't know how they found out that there were a couple of button cell batteries in this toy (they must xray outgoing mail as well as incoming), but it means that if you want to sell a Transformers toy with electronics to someone overseas, you can't sell it as a sealed electronic toy if you use Australia Post.

This make selling on ebay even more frustrating than it already was.
    If you need to post one intact to another country, you might have to look at courier services... to see if any of them don't have this sort of restriction, because I never have this problem with American carriers. (and I'm not going to mention it to the post office, in case they start screening all my incoming mail too)

If this becomes a more vigilant issue with other carriers and even with flying, it is going to become impossible to bring into Australia electronic gimmick Transformers (by post or in person as luggage on a plane)... leaving us to pay high local prices, or miss out on them completely if they don't get released here by Hasbro Australia.
    As for damage cargo / items I would be complaining to Amazon or requesting a refund of somesort as it arrived damaged and take as many clear photos as posible and send them the photos. If you can see your item is hanging out of the box partially damaged take photos DO NOT OPEN THE BOX and send the seller a photo or who ever and start a claim process like you do with ebay. once you open the damaged box your proof is gone as they may ask you to send back as is.

Our baggage handlers in Oz are rubbish but also smart I have known people who work that part of shipping, and they will damage a box purely for their own benifet, when a box of expensive goods gets damaged take a pallet of Digital Cameras for example and the forklift spike goes through the middle, they declare the entire pallet as damaged and due to the value its insured and the company gets their $$$ back. but the rest of the pallet of undamged cameras are supposed to go in the bin..... yet they go into the employees pockets and are later sold on ebay or gumtree etc. like the saying fell of the back of the truck