Thread: Japan's policy on No registered SAL

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Default Japan's policy on No registered SAL

This isn't a whinge thread, well sort of a bummer.

As many of you may know Japan had refused to send economy Registered SAL to 8 countries including us Australia.

I wonder any of you guys have more light on this on why we are included in this and how is this fair? giving that they send this to Singapore and other countries without issues.

How this affects us?
    We are forced to used EMS which is more expensive. Somehow many stores refused to send unregistered economy SAL which is actually available.
    several online stores do not send unregistered parcels even for cheap items thus making you pay EMS even for a small item.

While I am a bit bumped that this happened since this year, it does affect my business with Japanese stores even if items are at correct prices.

According to this the decision was based on regulations agreed upon at the Universal Postal Union at their last meeting.

However I have been unable to find out why this decision was made.

Quote Originally Posted by Lint View Post
    According to this the decision was based on regulations agreed upon at the Universal Postal Union at their last meeting.

However I have been unable to find out why this decision was made.
    yeah same, I mean what make these 8 countries so special to be excluded?
    The problem is there is unregistered economy SAL but shops are NOT open to it, despite if you have a disclosure that you may loose the parcel etc..... I get that, I am willing to take the risk without tracking especially if it is a small item.

It is annoying somehow and hate to say it but unfair treatment to these countries.

And....due to this factor, Ebay had became a better source for certain things again. I just bought robot spirits Vifam for just $55 delivered, while Japanese online stores are at 4,500 yen exclude shipping and you be charged ems.

This is sad. I thought I can avoid Ebay, now looks like is back to square one for certain items.