View Poll Results: TLK Voyager Optimus - worth buying?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 53.33%
  • Only if...

3 20.00%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not even interested

4 26.67%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - TLK Voyager Optimus Prime

Default Toy Review - TLK Voyager Optimus Prime

Voyager Optimus Prime
    Series - The Last Knight Movie
    Sub-line – Premier Edition
    Size/class - Voyager
    New/remould/redeco – New
    Wave – 1
    Released here - May 2017
    Approximate Retail Price - $50
    Approximate Size – 18cm
    Allegiance -Autobot
    Alt-mode – Western Star truck cab
    Main Features/Gimmicks – none (sword and shield can attach to truck mode)
    Main Colour – Blue, red, grey
    Main Accessories – Sword, shield

A new mould, as the Voyager Optimus toy for TF4 was the one that turned into the square "Gen1" cab... it has a lot less backpack kibble than the Leader Optimus toys that turn into a Western Star truck cab.

The transformation is pretty much on par with Voyager and Leader class toys, with a lot of folding up of panels against each other, particularly on the legs and back panel. The entire sides of the truck are one long panel, split into three parts, so that the front wheel covers end up at the back of the feet, where the back wheels are.

The look of the robot mode looks nice, but the colour of the shield and sword spoil it, especially that bright blue shield. I don't know why they do that with the accessories, as they did that on a number of TF4 Optimus toys too.

It took a few transformations to get a fluid conversion going, but after that, it was fairly easy, and not too "fun-less" to do. (not too big, not too small)
    It will make a good scaled pairing to the Voyager Megatron, and is definitely the better of the first two Voyagers (Grimlock is just a redeco TF4 toy).

Slightly bigger than the Deluxe boxes, and doesn't have the strip of cardboard at the top, making it easier to tell the two size classes from a distance.

The orange sword you can sorta dismiss as being like a molten hot blade, but that shield... the toy looks better without it.

By the power of Greyskull...

...I have the power!

Plenty of joints for plenty of poses...

The photo above and below with the two-handed holding of the sword required unplugging of the shoulders for both hands to reach the sword hilt... but as a static pose, you wouldn't notice unless it was pointed out.

Much better than the AoE Primes. A cool transformation. Never liked the pop up head on the old Leader.

I had to return my first one and get a second Optimus because the roof wasn't tabbing in properly in truck mode.

A very very solid toy; give me hope for a new leader version (if not for TF5 then TF6???)

The few things I look forward to being improved in a 'Platinum Edition'/Armour Knight style revamp:
    Show accurate paint (in following with AOE, the Voyager Prime is super inaccurate in its paint scheme)
    New colours for the accessories (or at least both orange) and larger; the shield and sword could be scaled up by 25% and they'd be much more impressive
    Wrist articulation

Otherwise a good toy, really recommend; thus far the new molds are great!!

I've bought at least one of each character from each of the last 4 movies.

Given this is number 5 I can't justify getting yet another movieverse prime, or any other previous characters, so I'll only be getting toys of new characters.

I thought this figure was going to suck but, it turns out its a good figure even minus the painted details.

Lucky i got it to find out it was good

Quote Originally Posted by G1Optimal View Post
    I thought this figure was going to suck but, it turns out its a good figure even minus the painted details.

Lucky i got it to find out it was good
    You found this toy in Sydney? May I ask where?

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I may have one in stock of youre after him, lemme check

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I found the voyager prime and grimlock at moore park tru and lidcombe kmart

A far, far, far better rendition of the AOE/TLK Optimus than either of the disappointing Leader figures from last time. A surprisingly involved transformation, given how simplified other TF lines have been in recent years.

The paint apps are lacking, and the colour choices in places are poor (the eyes look particularly dumb) but the molded details are fantastic. They've really upped their game in terms of fine mechanical details, and translating that from factory to toy - not sure of the technical details of the process, but something has changed. The sharpness in the leg and chest detail is awesome, and I'm really looking forward to custom-painting this guy.