View Poll Results: TF5 Last Knight Movie - worth watching?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, the best one so far

6 8.96%
  • Yes, but not the best one

29 43.28%
  • No, it was disappointing

18 26.87%
  • I don't plan to see it

14 20.90%
Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Review - TF5 The Last Knight

Default Movie Review - TF5 The Last Knight

Transformers 5 - The Last Knight

Release in Australia - June 22nd 2017 (advance screenings June 20th)

SPOILERS (seriously, if you haven't seen it yet and plan to, why are you looking at a review topic about it?)

Post your reviews, thoughts, comments, and vote on the poll... and/or give a score out of 5 or 10.

I'm looking forward to the spoilers just so I can know the jist of the story. But I don't plan to see it in cinema.

I have one question: did the aspect ratio keep jumping for everyone else (between angles in a scene!) or did I get a cinema with a bad print? It's one thing to go tall for the imax battle scenes but to change at random between points of view shots? I mean, at a basic film making level that's unforgivable!

Actually, make that two. At the end in big bold above the title top billing letters, the credits said Stanley Tucci was in this? Um, did I miss his cameo when I took a toilet break during the submarine adventure? Wait never mind IMDB solved this one for me. I knew that was someone I recognised under the makeup

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Can't rate movies for shit.
    Few gripes.

Nemesis Prime as a non-clone?? Why not have the original Optimus imprisoned, Quintessa clones him, which results in Bumblebee killing him, everyone being sad, then loljokes he's actually alive again.

All this hype over Hot Rod for what?

Soo. About that Megatron naming again? Did he renounce his Galvatroniness?

Onslaught and Mohawk lasting bugger all. Considering the former is a tactician.

Drift and Crosshairs did what now in the movie at all?

Grimlock not in the final battle (especially considering he's a Knight and all). Did we see Swoop/Strafe at all? Where'd the mini dinos come from?

Cogman didn't get to exercise his Headmaster skills. Coulda combined with the Astin Martin and did a few swings of the sword. Nor did Zeus Nitro get his fabled/wanted head taken off by Cogman either

What did Dragonstorm do after dropping Optimus back into battle?

Ended a little disappointingly. Much better than DotM or AoE mind you. Even had a pseudo end credits scene :O

I'll pop up a proper review when I get a chance but I thought it was damn fun!

I'll probably check it out again before I gather my thoughts but I found the movie quite enjoyable.

Ok well so i did enjoy that movie, Cogman and the comedy overall was pretty on point it this one. Not as cheap as usual. Ended very well in my opinion. My complaints are that there was a ton of potential that was wasted and lack of context, specifically on the megatron(/Galvatron???) topic.
    Hot rod's accent will likely be dropped in the future and they kinda hinted at it.
    Cybertron was tiny, like same size as the moon, tiny. Should have been to scale like DOTM
    Very much screwed with continuity at times, if they had an extra half an hour could have contextualised it that much more. Like where megatron came from specifically.
    Onslaught was a waste, even drift commented "can't get anymore dead than that" also drift is MIA in the last scene, completely gone, did he die? Bumblebees voice is great.
    Submarine, was it a transformer? I thought it was but it did literally nothing after going from A-B....
    Simmons was legnedary, it was good to see some old faces back.

Thinking back, yes I absolutely enjoyed that movie, will likely see it again while it's still at the movies. But I do think it could have been that slight bit longer to properly contextualise everything properly. I really hope there's like some deleted scenes or something. An extended directors cut, just make it longer. Everything in the movie was great! It just felt cut back, overly trimmed i suppose. The ending fight was pretty short admittedly but it was good in my opinion. It sets up the next movie quite smoothly. Also no after credits sequences or anything. My friend and i waited until it was completely over which surprisingly credits were like a minute long.

Summary: Good yet few context flaws and wasted potential. Would see again but it left me wanting more
    Last edited by griffin; 20th June 2017 at 10:56 PM. Reason: keep it PG please

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    I have one question: did the aspect ratio keep jumping for everyone else (between angles in a scene!)
    That drives me insane in AoE. Did it also switch from digital cameras with no film grain to film cameras with obvious film grain?

The cinema I was in was over half empty, so it doesn't look good for this one. If it was looking like it would do well, the seats would have been sold out, as would Thursday.
    There was a lot of mild humour in this one, and the audience seemed to respond accordingly... but it was all just way too confusing and disjointed to enjoy.
    There was so many things that could have been left out just to speed up the movie (like the whole WW2 plot device), and reduce the number of things that didn't make sense or wasn't explained.
    There were a number of times when robot characters would appear and disappear without explanation (like Wheelie, Cogman and even Optimus at the end, flying off and then later seen riding Dragonstorm)... and once again, a number of Decepticons were killed off quickly without much screentime or lines. It's no wonder we don't have many Decepticon toys... and one of the few Decepticons who has a toy (Berzerker), had about 5 seconds on screen and didn't even transform.

The big twist is something that a lot of fans might not be happy with, because when it was introduced in the TFPrime cartoon, it was hated by the fandom for re-writing the mythology behind the character of Unicron. It was as if one of the new writers in the writers room had watched TFPrime and thought that the character of Unicron was only ever in the core of Earth.
    It does set up the likely plot for the 7th Transformers movie (after the Bumblebee movie), with Unicron still there, and Quintessa on Earth still wanting to destroy him... and Cybertron is still in orbit of Earth.
    So much for the advertising saying that it was the last chapter and the final battle. If they do a reboot for the 6th or 7th movie, all of those remaining plot elements will be left unresolved.
    It was good to see that Barricade had his "Punish and Enslave" motto on him, and I think on the knuckledusters... despite the car on-set having "Protect and Serve" seen on it.
    And like the first movie, he disappears before the end of the movie, so he's still alive somewhere... and so is Megatron.

One thing I found really bad with the editing was near the end when Cade and the soldiers left the ship that came out of the ocean, and met up with the black guy and the girl, the knights and Optimus left the ship with Cade, but they were running with the black guy, to meet Cade. Um... they were on the ship together, but now they were meeting up just because it probably looked good visually to film it like that.

Also, if Merlin is a Witwiccan, which becomes Witwicky in the present day, and Viviane is the last surviving genetic relative of Merlin... does that mean Sam and his family are officially dead? Or did I misinterpret Sir Burton's rambling of Merlin's family tree?

There is a lot to rant about, but I can't be bothered. Those of us who went with me tonight, spent about an hour chatting about various things... and I'd prefer to see what other people think about it.

For me, I thought it was interesting, and just above average, but equal worst with TF4. (at least we didn't have cube-forming bots this time)

I give it a 6 out of 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    Actually, make that two. At the end in big bold above the title top billing letters, the credits said Stanley Tucci was in this? Um, did I miss his cameo when I took a toilet break during the submarine adventure? Wait never mind IMDB solved this one for me. I knew that was someone I recognised under the makeup
    Yeah, I only recognised him when he was talking to the red knight bot... it took a while because of all the hair.
    It reminded me that I heard that he was in this movie, but didn't realise he was going to be a new character. It's odd to have an actor do two different characters when it has nothing to do with the story (like being distant relatives), but at least it isn't as bad as the two Morshowers, who are supposed to be different characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Polursine View Post
    Cogman didn't get to exercise his Headmaster skills. Coulda combined with the Astin Martin and did a few swings of the sword. Nor did Zeus Nitro get his fabled/wanted head taken off by Cogman either
    I was really hoping that Bay telling people at the Q&A event that he wasn't able to do it, wasn't true, but unfortunately it didn't... which is a waste of a gimmick (a gimmick that must have been in the script for Hasbro to put it in the two toys, and for Sir Burton to call him a Headmaster when he first met Cade and Viviane.

Fully enjoyed the 'bot scene and action. There were some fantastic transformation sequences. Plot wise it's arguably one of the better in the franchise, right next to movie 1; but that's not hard to achieve really.

If I'm not mistaken this one has the most swear words in the franchise to date? Then why the f include two kid-friendly characters in Squeaks and Isabella, who literally did f all. Squeaks didn't even transform??

I love Cogman, and was fully expecting him to go full headmaster (he was even introduced by Hopkins' character as one), but he never transformed.

The knight designs are freaking cool. Wish they were better utilized/translated into toys. Now I can't wait to get my hands on Dragonstorm.

The Decepticon suicide squad is also pretty awesome. Although for a minute I thought Nitro was Shockwave.