Thread: Trunks' Christmas Repaints

Default Trunks' Christmas Repaints

Yeah yeah, I know Christmas was over a month ago, but I've been busy and lazy, not a great combination.

Every year I get the GF's parents and sibling a couple of small gifts, just from me. This year I needed one last small thing for the Father-in-law.

Since he is a woodworker by trade, the engineering in TF's has always fascinated him, so I decided to repaint one of my spare Predator jets. he is also a massive Wests (Balmain) Tigers Fan, so I decided to repaint Falcon in their livery:

However my mother-in-law is quite petty, so presents for the family have to be fairly even in both size and cost or she gets the cranks. I figured (and rightly so, going on the jealous look she had on her face when she first saw her husband get his toy) that I had better make her and the gf's brother a Transformer as well.

Not having too many spare figures around to repaint, and with Christmas about a week away I had to make do with a G1 Dragstrip I had been using as a test figure for brush painting. Sanded him right back and painted him in an Irish theme as the brother-in-law is obsessed with anything Irish:

And finally the mother-in-law got a junker Predator Skydive, who was missing it's rear wing stabilisers. No real theme behind this figure, other than she likes blue:

All figures were taken completely apart and spray painted, various hobby brand sprays were used, can't even remember the names now. All silver highlights painted by hand with GW Mithril Silver (possibly my favourite GW colour).

Dragstrip and Skydive were rather rush jobs, done over a period of 2 nights after work, with Dragstrip in particular suffering from tired painting hands, his face in particular was done sloppily as I was too tired and lazy to dirty a finer brush to paint the eyes. Dragstrip and Skydive also suffered from a number of spray errors where I didnt mask off areas properly, or in one case plain forgot.
    In contrast, Falcon, being crafted over a weekend barely suffered a setback or error.

All three figures went down a treat, and have held up well, in the past month. The Tiger repaint in particular has gotten a workout, and thanks mostly to their simple transformations I have not had paint rub/scraping off issues either.

Need to track down more junker Predators and Turbomasters, they are make fantastic figures to repaint for beginners and unco's like myself!
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Nice work! Tiger-Falcon barely looks like it's been repainted at all.

so thats why you are after so many Turbomasters

Iam trunks is that guy right?

Nice finishes, they all look very smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post
    he is also a massive Wests (Balmain) Tigers Fan,
    Sounds like a good man

BTW nice work Trunksy. Very impressive.
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

Blue Skydive's colours reminds me of G.I. Joe Skydive.

Wow great work on falcon, he looks like he came out of the factory in orange