Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom Paintjob Movie Longarm, Ironhide and Prime (pic intensive)

Default Custom Paintjob Movie Longarm, Ironhide and Prime (pic intensive)

Hey all!
    Since starting that Prime custom paintjob, I've kind of been hooked and have taken up the paintbrush to longarm (I got the final battle pack so I thought I'd repaint my regular longarm) and Ironhide (I felt that I didn't want to spend more money on a more accurate movie paintjob- so I might as well do it myself)

And of course there's Prime- who I've added to and reworked the paintwork- and gave him a custom blade off ebay

Woo! Pictures begin now!
    Group:

Prime:

Longarm:

Ironhide:

Enjoy and do tell me what ya'll think!
    Last edited by lcz128; 22nd February 2008 at 01:03 AM. Reason: formatting

Accidental double post! Please delete one of the threads thanks!

Nice detailing - it really adds alot.

Nice fluffy pink heart in the background too

Nice work. They look awesome as a collection. That must have taken ages. I know that Prime took me forever to do and then he looks out of place if you don't do them all, so great work on continuing the style through all of them.

Nice fluffy pink heart in the background too
    You've always gotta be careful about what's in the background around here... they don't miss anything! (nice gueetaaar in the background too)

Urge to buy toys... rising... rising! TERMINATED DUE TO LACK OF FUNDS

I'm going to have to drop by sometime!

They look awesome mate, gives me insperation to do mine.. When i stop being lazy of corse.

STL, do you plan on going to his home and looking like a normal purson would, or looking like you and some other un- nameabul people would, by looking from a shelf in your house?

Do you spray that with some kind of primer to prevent the paint from being damaged or chipped when you play with those toys?

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Do you spray that with some kind of primer to prevent the paint from being damaged or chipped when you play with those toys?
    That all depend on how much you handle/play/transform your toys and the kind of paint you use... I find that Humbrol paint can become weak and will rub off quite easy without a primer, where as, Tamiya Color Acrylic Paints, they are a tad stronger and will stick to most things with out a primer.

Another factor at hand is how you go about the repainting in general, if you wait the required time for drying and allow the required time for a re-coat. But if you are like me and rarely touch/play with your figures then you can go with a quicker, more aggressive paint ap. I just wait for a touch dry finish then give it a second coat.

I don't usually dismantle my figures, cause of the lack of transformation that they will go threw, so theres no need for an undercoat or primer in that case.
    If you do use this method, you will find its a little rough at first and you will need practice to get it smoothed out and clean.

But, for a cleaner paint ap right away, dismantling your figure maybe the way to go.. And when you pull a figure apart you will find you can get that little bit more detail into your work that otherwise takes a hell of a lot of patience to master if you don't take your fig apart.

Hope that helps clear up more then you asked Gok.

Quote Originally Posted by turtle boy View Post
    That all depend on how much you handle/play/transform your toys and the kind of paint you use... I find that Humbrol paint can become weak and will rub off quite easy without a primer, where as, Tamiya Color Acrylic Paints, they are a tad stronger and will stick to most things with out a primer.

Another factor at hand is how you go about the repainting in general, if you wait the required time for drying and allow the required time for a re-coat. But if you are like me and rarely touch/play with your figures then you can go with a quicker, more aggressive paint ap. I just wait for a touch dry finish then give it a second coat.

I don't usually dismantle my figures, cause of the lack of transformation that they will go threw, so theres no need for an undercoat or primer in that case.
    If you do use this method, you will find its a little rough at first and you will need practice to get it smoothed out and clean.

But, for a cleaner paint ap right away, dismantling your figure maybe the way to go.. And when you pull a figure apart you will find you can get that little bit more detail into your work that otherwise takes a hell of a lot of patience to master if you don't take your fig apart.

Hope that helps clear up more then you asked Gok.
    Wow

Well, for Prime, I didn't do any dismantling at all- That said, anything that I *did* paint was primered first with a coat of citadel chaos black.
    So yeah, there is a bit of rubbing where joints are integral to transformation, but when he's all transformed, I find it hard to notice any rub. The paintjob itself hasn't rubbed off at all in all other areas. Ditto with the other two.

I dismantled Ironhide and Longarm a little to get to tight little corners for them, and am in the process of repainting bits and pieces of Ratchet (I found Jin Saotome's and am modeling it off his )
    So that said, there is some paintrub where they transform, but:
    1) haven't noticed any on ironhide
    2) where it rubs on longarm is where I've dismantled him. So it's only rubbing cause I painted on a lot of surfaces that mightnot have needed it. Also, they're concealed by the time you reach bot mode.
    That said, am heading out shortly to look for some of that testors clear gloss thing

and yes-
    Thanks VERY MUCH for all the positive feedback guys
    Am on the way to repainting the main 5 movie autobots to get a nice swish looking set More pics to come!