Page 7 of 49 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121727 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun-Formers (imitation weapons) laws and requirements for Australia

Wait... you live in Spearwood Western Australia, right? You do know that there is NO restriction on owning replica firearms in WA, don't you? Owning Gunformers is perfectly legal and unrestricted in WA! (reference)

Although be aware that Customs is a Federal body, not state, so if your toys are seized by Customs you will need to obtain a Form B1709A Importation of Firearms - Police Confirmation and Certification Permit from the Firearms Division of the Western Australian Police to have them released to you from Customs.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Wait... you live in Spearwood Western Australia, right? You do know that there is NO restriction on owning replica firearms in WA, don't you? Owning Gunformers is perfectly legal and unrestricted in WA! (reference)

Although be aware that Customs is a Federal body, not state, so if your toys are seized by Customs you will need to obtain a Form B1709A Importation of Firearms - Police Confirmation and Certification Permit from the Firearms Division of the Western Australian Police to have them released to you from Customs.
    Yes I do, but I also used to live in Victoria, the fun gun state.
    Actually I love that Australia has such tight laws around guns, it's a good thing, look at all the gun related deaths in the us.i do have some stuff still back there, toys etc, better to know before I bring them here so I don't lose anything. And I've been looking at both tf and non tf gun toys lately to buy, so a good time to become familiar with these regulations.

I did read through the various sections posted here.
    Thanks again for your helpful insights and knowledge

Megatran Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Batfan007 View Post
    Yes I do, but I also used to live in Victoria
    You could have done worse, a lot worse & moved to NSW.

I've pre ordered dx9 mightron will I have any trouble getting it into the country? It will be in a box with multiple other transformers when the time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Megatran View Post
    You could have done worse, a lot worse & moved to NSW.
    How many Chuzzwozza's do they have there then?

Quote Originally Posted by ZoonMaster5000 View Post
    I've pre ordered dx9 mightron will I have any trouble getting it into the country? It will be in a box with multiple other transformers when the time comes.
    The war in pocket one or the supreme leader one?
    The war in pocket one no, you shouldn't have any issues, just like the reveal the shield legion class megatron it's not classed as a replica gun as it's too small.
    The supreme leader one you might have problems, I believe I read that customs officers are trained to recognize megatrons of that size, so even if the box doesn't show the gun mode it could be seized until you provide your licenses or proof that it doesn't change into a realistic gun (but it does so that's out).

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHyren View Post
    The supreme leader one you might have problems, I believe I read that customs officers are trained to recognize megatrons of that size, so even if the box doesn't show the gun mode it could be seized until you provide your licenses or proof that it doesn't change into a realistic gun (but it does so that's out).
    Yeah it is the supreme leader one, so basically I'm taking a $170 gamble by trying to bring it in. Let's just say I did go ahead with the purchase and they found it would they confiscate the whole box or just the gunformer?

I think, from what a friend mentioned of a similar experience, they hold the whole box until you either provide paperwork stating that you are indeed allowed to have the gunformer or your time frame expires after which they take the gunformer and send the rest to you. In either case you'll get the rest of the delivery sooner or later, but whether or not you get mightron depends on luck or you getting a license

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHyren View Post
    I think, from what a friend mentioned of a similar experience, they hold the whole box until you either provide paperwork stating that you are indeed allowed to have the gunformer or your time frame expires after which they take the gunformer and send the rest to you. In either case you'll get the rest of the delivery sooner or later, but whether or not you get mightron depends on luck or you getting a license
    Hmm seems I have a bit of research to do, quickly

DarkHyren is correct. Because Customs is a Federal body and imitation gun ownership laws fall under State jurisdiction, Customs will always confiscate any imitation guns that they detect first. They will then send you a letter and wait for you to produce your permit in order to lawfully collect your toy. So owning a permit doesn't exempt you from Customs, but it does allow you to retrieve your toy. Customs will not surrender the toy to you without a valid permit and after the due date to make your claim has past they will incinerate your toy. Because Customs will dispose of imitation guns in the same way that they dispose of real guns, and that is by throwing them into a furnace. This is why I hold a permit and comply with the conditions of the permit (i.e. safe storage requirements). While it's a hassle I'd rather not have my Gunformers melted down.

The Megatron Club's web site has received no information about imitation gun ownership laws in Tasmania and advises Tasmanians to contact your local firearms registry, police ministry or Member of Parliament.

Links:
    TAS Firearms Services
    TAS Minister for Police
    Member for Bass

Good luck.