Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2011 Flashback Review - Transformers (1986) Movie

I cant actually remember a time where I hadn't seen the movie its like star wars its has just always been there, but in saying that The Transformers movie still remains as one of my top favourite movies. I have watched it countless time and will still continue to watch it.

I had just recently finished watching season 2 of transformers so then naturally the movie was next. One thing I did find was at the beginning of the movie was that the Decepticons were all characters that we knew from the first 2 seasons so I already had some attatchment to them, even though further one they get rebuilt into new decepticons but at least they had a bit of an origin on why these new decepticons were suddenly there.

Whereas with the autobots all the new characters were sort of just shoved in as though they had already been around for ages but as an audience we really have no idea who they were and that sort of bugged me a little. A little more of an introduction would of been nice.
    Especially when there were all these other characters from the first two seasons that didnt get used mainly from the second season as nearly everybody from the first season were killed off faster than you can say "transform and roll out" or were "eaten" by Unicron and were never seen until the end of the movie.

And it also seemed a little odd that they used the dinobots and not the arialbots or another group of autobots as the last half of the 2nd season the dinobots are never seen and are sort of forgotten about and all of sudden "there back"

Just a couple of thoughts i had while i was watching the movie. I still love this movie and will never stop doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by loophole View Post
    And it also seemed a little odd that they used the dinobots and not the arialbots or another group of autobots as the last half of the 2nd season the dinobots are never seen and are sort of forgotten about and all of sudden "there back"
    That was the one unfortunate things about the Movie - the story was written during the production of the first Season, so it only featured first season characters and a few early second-season characters... with the focus being on the third year toys, that must have already been in development at the same time as the second year toys (which themselves were mostly pre-existing pre-Transformers moulds anyway).

TFTM still remains one of my favourite, if not the favourite, animated movie of all time, to me.

the 80s
    I was too young to watch it in the cinemas back in 1986 and TBH, am not even sure that they screened it in Singapore cinemas. The first time I saw it was on TV, as a "Friday special" starting from 5pm. I remember my brother and myself sitting glued in front of the TV, trying to 'record' every image into our brains for posterity because we thought we'd never get to see it again (VHS Tapes not being readily available to us).

the 90s
    True to our suspicion, we never saw it again till at least another 5 years later when we purchased a VHS tape of TFTM from some shopping centre in Malaysia where we were holidaying. I only ever watched that tape 2-3 times because our family never had a tape player that worked for very long so every time I wanted to watch it, I'd need to do it at my auntie's place.

the year 2003
    Then I came to Australia and attended my first Supanova convention where there was a Madman booth. I bought a dvd of TFTM, the one with the Don Figuroa cover. This, I watched again and again since 2003. At least 5-6 times a year. I also bought other versions - the Sony remastered one, the Rhino version, Metrodome Reconstructed version, etc.

on our wedding night (2008)
    My wonderful wife, E, watched TFTM with me on our wedding night. She had seen it once before and agreed that it was special enough to warrant another screening on our wedding night. That was awesome.

Some Sydney members will know that my apartment has a mini-cinema accessible to all tenants. I watched TFTM there 2-3 times, which is the closest to a cinematic experience I got for this movie.

TFTM has a very dear place in my heart. It has been there with me through almost every stage of my life and I suspect, will continue to play a part.

I dont remember the movie at the cinema but I do remember how I first saw it.

TV3 was showing the cartoon reruns around 1990 or 1991 in New Zealand and they broke it down and ran it weekday mornings over a week. Every morning I taped the weeks worth of episodes and watched it in the weekend. Watching this was shocking for me as all these new transformers were there and the old favourites gone. Then came 5 faces of darkness which I actually enjoyed more than the movie

In 2001 I finally only found out what I had taped way back then was transformers the movie then i ordered a copy from the US... On VHS.

I must have got the DVD around 2007.... now if its gets put on I still enjoy it and for some reason if my girlfriend is around she is asleep within 10 minutes of me putting it on

Quote Originally Posted by heroic_decepticon View Post
    the 90s
    True to our suspicion, we never saw it again till at least another 5 years later when we purchased a VHS tape of TFTM from some shopping centre in Malaysia where we were holidaying. I only ever watched that tape 2-3 times because our family never had a tape player that worked for very long so every time I wanted to watch it, I'd need to do it at my auntie's place.
    out of all the different versions of TFTM on dvd which would you reccomend, are there many differences between them?

A little to the left... a little bit more...

Quote Originally Posted by heroic_decepticon View Post

on our wedding night (2008)
    My wonderful wife, E, watched TFTM with me on our wedding night. She had seen it once before and agreed that it was special enough to warrant another screening on our wedding night. That was awesome.
    Wow!

~~

Ah yes, TF:TM. I always enjoy watching it... to be honest, I think the first half hour is the best. The prologue, the battle, the fight to the death, the betrayal, the intro of Unicron... Once Starscream gets fried by Galvy, I start to wander a bit. But up until then, this movie holds my attention like a regular first class sci-fi action film! Love it!!

I remember a time long ago when "2005" seemed like such a long, long way in to the future!

One of my all time fav movies. Admittedly, I haven't seen it for a few years now but I've pretty much memorised every line from every scene after watching the crap out of an old VHS copy from my childhood days

The music tracks really added a whole new dimension to this movie. Vince Di Cola and those 80's bands gave TFTM legendary status

I normally watch it a few times a year but I have actually been holding off from watching it a bit until I receive the Blu-Ray! I want to get a 'fresh' perspective on it so I want to increase the gap from my last viewing to it.

When it comes to the first time I watched TF:The Movie, I am pretty sure that I saw it at the Cinema with one if my parents and cousins when I was very young. However my more memorable moments of myself watching it were in the years that followed on tape in which it was watched again and again until we left the country and required on Pal VHS

Thanks to the wonders of technology, I can now carry this movie around in my pocket and watch it any time I like.

I was watching some recently waiting for the bus and had an epiphany. I've misjudged Ultra Magnus.

For a long time I would have argued his first onscreen instructions were poorly made: Why not get Blurr to tell Blaster to radio Prime for reinforcement? He'd have got there quicker than Perceptor. Why not get Blurr to transform Autobot City, he could have done it quicker than Arcee and Springer and wouldn't have run the risk of getting stuck in that tunnel (like Starscream almost did). What Autobots weren't aware that the city was under attack, Starscream (and other seekers presumably) were already striking within the city walls.

Then I realised something that's been there the whole time. The Autobot's moon bases are secret bases. Despite having heard that line so many times, given that it accompanies a Decepticon spy infiltrating the "secret base" it's easily overlooked. We don't know when the Decepticons learnt there was an Autobot presence on the moons, but it didn't seem to be news when Laserbeak returned, and Starscream saw it as the "real threat". The Autobots though must have thought there secret was still protected.

I've always interpreted the report of security status was more about making sure the shuttle didn't get attacked on departure, but actually of course it's more about sneaking it out so the Decepticons weren't alerted to their presence. Part of this secrecy would have extended to radio contact. That's why Spike has to pass a message to his son via Ironhide, instead of being able to call home personally.

So making the decision to break the radio silence was a big deal, so to give that instruction to Blaster, Ultra Magnus chose the highest ranked of those at hand. Blurr would have got there quicker but would Blaster have trusted the command from such a frenetic character, or from Magnus's right hand man (as he's depicted through most of the rest of the film). That wasn't a bad call after all.

(So if that call was right, could I defend the decision to have Springer and Arcee transform the city? Well the process is rather ridiculously complicated, but it does appear to have sequences that require two people acting at the same time, and Blurr's speed would have been at a disadvantage if the pair had to act in unison often during the procedure.)