Page 37 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1727323334353637383940414247 ... LastLast

Thread: Masterpiece Convoy 3.0 Revealed

bowspearer Guest

I'm trying to recall a situation where Masterpiece figures were this hyped and this much information had been released this far out from a release. I can't recall one. That says to me that retailers are nervous and Takara is trying to do all they can to max out preorders.

CoRDS is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

that figure has quite a lot of paint chips on it, i really hope that's not indicative of the paint finish for the final version

Quote Originally Posted by CoRDS View Post
    that figure has quite a lot of paint chips on it, i really hope that's not indicative of the paint finish for the final version
    Surely just a test figure?

12 step transformation is at least fairly simple and true to form for an Optimus figure.

God that is one perfect looking Optimus. The price sure is high, but I’ll be damned if that isn’t the cartoon hero I loved.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    Surely just a test figure?

12 step transformation is at least fairly simple and true to form for an Optimus figure.
    Normally means final.
    I kid you not.

Just hope the 12 steps isn't over complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    Normally means final.
    I kid you not.

Just hope the 12 steps isn't over complicated.
    I think both MP Megs set the bar for complicated transformations, didn't they???

On a side note... woohoo, 300 posts!!!
    Last edited by Jazzman; 17th December 2018 at 02:30 AM.

The toy looks to have some soundclips too, with three quotes voiced by the original Convoy voice actor Genda Tesho.

And over on TFW, there is translation of the interview with the design team for the new MP Optimus.

1: When did the project planning start?
    We normally start planning for an MP project a long time in advance, this was started from back in December 2016. At that time we still thought MP10 (Convoy 2.0) was the best/definitive OP

3: It’d be difficult to recreate a cartoon accurate Optimus?
    For example the truck wind shield and the ‘bot mode chest. The angle and height-width ratio are both different. In the past we would find a middle ground between truck and bot then achieve a balanced look by detail design. But this time around, we really wanted to recreate this difference in physical form. Although MP 10 has quite an involved transformation, the parts placement actually follows the G1 toy. But in order to create the definitive Optimus, we were willing to change it up this time around. If it couldn’t surpass OP 2.0 this project would be pointless.

(proportions being off between the two modes)

5: How did you solve this?
    We had a flash of genius to move the mass as solution, so that in ‘bot mode the volume in the legs is increased and volume in the chest decreased. So we came up with the transformation to move some of mass on the side of the cab to the lower half of ‘bot mode. We used to have to put a lot of effort into concealing the arms seamlessly into the cab, with this design it’s automatically solved as well.

7: The tires have finally disappeared
    The rear tires are narrow and rotate to conceal inside the legs. We felt this is a must.

9: The double knee joint gives off an action figure impression
    This is a modern construction we only started to pay attention to recently. The friction resistance in the the two joints is different, so only when the first joint is bent to a certain degree then would the second joint engage. So that in normal posing only one joint is engaged to keep the body proportions. Because MP 36 has incredible articulation, this Optimus definitely needs to be able to match up with that.

10: The trailer has several new gimmicks, a lot more play value
    We thought if the trailer isn’t re-made properly, it wouldn’t be called Optimus 3.0, so we can’t have a similar trailer to MP 10’s. So we thought about what gimmicks hadn’t been done before. For example the mobile artillery in “Fire in the Sky”. We thought it could be formed from the battle station with wheels added.

Quote Originally Posted by bowspearer View Post
    I'm trying to recall a situation where Masterpiece figures were this hyped and this much information had been released this far out from a release. I can't recall one. That says to me that retailers are nervous and Takara is trying to do all they can to max out preorders.
    I am not sure about ALL of you guys here in OCTA, but I have a couple of friends and myself are TIRED, FED UP of PRE ORDERS that go so far out. And I say this isn't just for Takara Tomy but Bandai and others.

THIS IMO should be BANNED.
    Is unfair to consumers or the retailer actually to list an item which is not going to happen within six months.

We all know this is worse if you are required to pay UPFRONT and I think is a very dangerous thing.

Imagine if you are suddenly gone (touch wood, but we cant predict the future). your partner, or anyone would have no knowledge you PO this and paid but did not pay shipping. And what happens? money is gone.

I am wondering is there a way we can internationally not allow this? Its ridiculous and those who knew what happened in PC days we got screwed big time! Example Fantoys berserk? that has been like nearly two years!

All credit card disputes would be quite useless, not to mention Paypal would not cared.

If the retailer is not asking for money thats fine, but whenever is ask for it, I really worry about how much time advance we are paying.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    I think both MP Megs set the bar for complicated transformations, didn't they???

On a side note... woohoo, 300 posts!!!
    OMG MP-36 made me slept at 3am! I didn't realise how much time it took to transform and back. While is cool it was sure wasn't fun.

That interview was really interesting. Great to get some insight into the process for this design. Starting to feel better about the cost now given the clear amount of work that has gone into it.