Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Category 5 cyclone hitting upper north Queensland

Quote Originally Posted by iamirondude View Post
    well we atm are getting the remains of the cyclone and the winds are blowing stuff everywhere and the worse bit is i'm now up to my ankles in water in the mancave. i'm really pissed about this now as i'm trying to save my gold box OP(well the box got wet). the water is running down the walls and is wetting everything atm, rains hitting sideways.
    Really very sorry to hear that dude, I hope the waters subside and the rain buggers off for you swiftly - My fingers are crossed that as little damage is done at all.

You go through Larry, it shakes you to your core.

You find out Yasi is heading your way, you really have trouble dealing with it in such a short time.

And only a few years later you find out history may be repeating, what do you do? Hope and hope and hope for the best. And thankfully that's what happened.

I had a lot of water blow in under my back door, thankfully we got didn't get much in the way of wind, not much in the way of rain either. In fact when the core of it was passing over us I was flaked out in bed.

Like Yasi though, what pissed me off the most was the media. The Cairns Post put this on their Facebook page.

Unfortunately when it comes to the cyclone season, The Cairns Post is very notorious for scare mongering.

Oh well, that should be it for another six months hopefully.

Glad to hear that you pulled through relatively unscathed Burn, hopefully this is a continuing trend going forward eh?

I'd rather it be an unnecessary trend.

Admittedly I stressed myself out more with Yasi than I did Ita, mostly because I put myself in what I dubbed "my happy world" where Ita followed the track of the BOM (which saw it hitting Cooktown and continuing inland to weaken) and NOT the trend of the Joint Typhoon Warning Centre which had it bouncing down the Queensland coast line at Category 5 which would have been catastrophic.

In the end both scenarios happened, though luckily it only bounced down the coast as a low. (Which is what iamirondude got)

Megatran Guest

On the news Category 4 Cyclone Debbie heading for far north QLD sometime early next week. It may seem odd to non-locals like myself but the lady being interviewed didn't bat an eyelid. Seemed like she'd experienced a few in her time.

For those in the area stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Megatran View Post
    On the news Category 4 Cyclone Debbie heading for far north QLD sometime early next week. It may seem odd to non-locals like myself but the lady being interviewed didn't bat an eyelid. Seemed like she'd experienced a few in her time.

For those in the area stay safe.
    We don't get too worked up over cyclones, it's semi common up here and very common further north.

Hope our north Queensland forumers are doing OK.

Well I'm dieing from heat and humidity. Debbie has sucked any potential cool weather south with her.

Self whinging aside. I feel for all those people who had to endure 24+ hours of waiting. The next few days...weeks...months will not be easy for many of them. Hopefully the emergency crews can get into the worst affected areas soon.

While Debbie may not have been as large and powerful as the likes of Yasi/Larry/Marcia ... the fact she moved so slowly may make her just as damaging.

And here's hoping any flooding she brings doesn't cause too much damage.

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    We don't get too worked up over cyclones, it's semi common up here and very common further north.
    My brother and my nephew would agree with you, they also live in Gladstone. I wish all the best to those who endured the cyclone and now have to endure it's aftermath.

The Southern media come up here expecting us to be all running around screaming like maniacs, we were well prepared for this one, (Debbie) like we are for most of them. Sadly the flood waters that follow usually claim lives like they have in SEQ and NNSW.
    I think fire like the black Saturday ones in Victoria or the Brisbane and Lockyer Valley floods a few years ago would be worse than a cyclone. Not much can stop those but most places up here are built for a nasty breeze, yes there will be destruction but you can rebuild stuff, you can't bring people back to life...................yet.
    I still function.....................while killing threads. ;-)