Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Does anyone play an instrument?

I only ever played for fun too. For me, the band was all for fun and be creative, not to be famous and make money. Though I did have a bit of a stardom moment where a few months after the band dissolved and I moved, someone recognised me from a gig they saw us play.

Just keep at it buddy, time and patience and you'll get better

I pick my guitar up only when I vacuum.

Quote Originally Posted by tinyJazz View Post
    Every day you practise start with a few scales. Your hands will get used to where the notes fall on the instrument. Technical work is like the foundation of playing an instrument, it's super boring but it'll make playing and learning new pieces easier and faster.

If you haven't already, pick up a beginner's violin method book. (Essential Elements seems to be the one for strings?) it should be for absolute beginners so it should teach you how to read music as well. As for getting the notes to sound right, there are some guides on YouTube for how to tune a violin. You could invest in a digital chromatic tuner, or just use a sound recording on YouTube and your ear.

I played the clarinet while I was in high school. I was in concert band and I loved playing in competitions. I was also in the state youth wind ensemble for a couple of years. Got to play at the Sydney opera house with them.
    I think doing AMEB exams really killed my interest in it though. It was just a huge unnecessary amount of stress I put myself through and it stopped being fun.

HAHA, At least AMEB recognised clarinet as an instrument, it wasn't until the late 90's that they began to recognise drumkit at all.

I can't agree more with tinyjazz, it's the hard boring bits that help it become one of the most enjoyable things you'll ever do. My first drumming book which I used solidly for 5 or so years was more than half full of boring bits.

I remember when my sister was learning violin, the music teacher put thin strips of masking tape on the kneck to imitate fret positions. this assisted with development of muscle memory for fingering positions.

Quote Originally Posted by morg176 View Post
    I just want to play for fun
    I almost got a cat scratch bearable twinkle twinkle out of it about a week ago,
    Idealy I need to find someone who can play and trade for lessons

The experiment continues
    The sheet music seems difficult
    Holidays in a few days.
    Will get the violin out then and try some more
    The advice I recall for avoiding scratching was a smooth consistent pressure while keeping the bow moving all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post
    I only ever played for fun too. For me, the band was all for fun and be creative, not to be famous and make money. Though I did have a bit of a stardom moment where a few months after the band dissolved and I moved, someone recognised me from a gig they saw us play.

Just keep at it buddy, time and patience and you'll get better
    It's hard not to get excited by the thrill of being on stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    That's the saddest thing I've heard in weeks.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    I got sick of doing that so put mine back in its case about 4-5 months ago

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    HAHA, At least AMEB recognised clarinet as an instrument, it wasn't until the late 90's that they began to recognise drumkit at all.
    That's because a drummer isn't a musician. A drummer is someone that hangs out with musicians.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    I got sick of doing that so put mine back in its case about 4-5 months ago
    That's even sadder

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    That's because a drummer isn't a musician. A drummer is someone that hangs out with musicians.
    Drummers are like the force, they have a light side and a dark side and they hold the band together.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

It's hard not to get excited by the thrill of being on stage.
    It was great. Part of me misses it. All I wanna do now though is just create music without having to rely on other people. They tend to let you down if they aren't fully committed.

Drummers...they hold the band together.
    Tell that to the useless one we had haha.