Page 68 of 195 FirstFirst ... 485863646566676869707172737888 ... LastLast

Thread: The Random Transformers Thoughts Thread

I must admit that kid-me initially referred to Swoop as a pterodactyl until he appeared in the G1 cartoon and I heard Chip Chase refer to his alt mode as a "pteranodon." I wasn't aware of the difference until then. Hey, it was 1985!

Megatran Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    On the dinosaur topic, I always found it a little annoying to Dino-master-kiddy-me that people would often can Swoop a pterodactyl when he is OBVIOUSLY a large and much cooler pteranodon.
    Pfffff. Swoop was a token Dinobot anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    New thing, I just discover that I can compact and hide the sections of the board, so no I don't have to scroll past the sales thread. It just becomes one lie! Woo!
    The sections you are responsible to moderate.

Quote Originally Posted by Megatran View Post
    Heh, yeah. As much as I love the character of Swoop, the toy is the weakest of the group. Literally. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I personally found Swoop to be the rarest of the Dinobots when these toys hit store shelves. I did handle a friend's Swoop, and yeah, the toy didn't inspire me.

Being large and expensive figures (at least for a kid), I only had 2 of the Dinobots as a kid - Grimlock and Snarl. I managed to get Sludge and fairly cheaply off the secondary market in the late 90s/early 00s, but Swoop was one toy that was hard to find in the secondary market, and if I did, it was always expensive. In 2005, two years after the live action TF movie was announced, I made the decision to just pay the inflated aftermarket price for Swoop and got one - loose complete - for about a hundred bucks. He was the last early G1 toy that I was missing, and I figured that it'd be better for me to get it sooner rather than later as I feared that the price of G1 toys might rise after the release of the live action film.

P.S.: Just had a quick look on eBay and there's a G1 Swoop going for about AU$130 before shipping. Doesn't seem too bad considering that I paid about $30 less 12 years ago (wow), but then these days there's no guarantee that the toy isn't a counterfeit.

Megatran Guest

I see the word TRANSFORMED plastered on an ad on the tv. I'm thinking could it be in reference to TF The Last Knight?

It turns out it's the latest installment of 'The Biggest Loser'

My HLJ items from January and February should arrive tomorrow. For whatever reason I'm actually more excited to unbox Grapple than Cheetor. Maybe it's because I grew up watching G1 while Beast Wars aired when I was in High School so less impact, or could just be because I prefer TM Cheetor over season one Cheetor.

It's funny you mention that.
    I had Inferno as a child, but I'm also more excited for Grapple.

Good thing I'm not a MISB collector. Both Cheetor and Grapple were double taped. Great job TakTom QC!

Quote Originally Posted by SharkyMcShark View Post
    While I was having "play with old figures under the guise of trying to get Transformers ready for sale" time the other week I happened across Classics Mirage and his gun.

What an incredible figure. An incredibly dynamic range of poses, strong colours, snazzy looking alt mode. One of the most underrated deluxes ever? You decide (actually don't decide, it is underrated - you know I'm right)
    I couldn't agree more, it's very articulate and a novel transformation. my only frustration was the lack of a shoulder cannon and I didn't really like the front spoiler becoming his gun. An Excellent toy though.

*censored censored censored censored*. 600 bucks for a new TF licensed Monopoly board game.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    It really is the most beautiful version they've made thus far. But $600 plus the fact I already have 2 versions of TF Monopoly means for me it goes in the dream basket beside the $800 Unicron lamp
    I think it's stunning, all the custom made aluminium sides, it's a thing of beauty. but until it's clearanced to a $100 or so it's not getting a place at our home, sadly. my dream basket has the Ultimetal Optimus prime in it.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    Yeah I found it really weird. Growing up in the 80's the Brontosaurus was one of the dinosaurs we all knew the name of (and not just because of Sludge). There was the Brontosaurus, Triceratops, Diplodocus, Pterodactyl, Stegosaurus and T-Rex. A few of us had also heard of the Allosaurus and Ankylosaurus but that first lot seemed to be the ones everyone knew.

Never even heard of an Apatosaurus until I was an adult so I assumed until a few years ago that the Brontosaurus name had been retired in the 90's or something. I wonder why the name was so well known and so prevalent throughout the 20th century when it had been retired in 1903?
    my thoughts exactly

Swoop was the only Dinobot I had until G2 came out and then I got stuck with a red snarl and a green slag. I can see why people prefer the others but it holds a place in my heart. especially since my mum shattered his beak transforming it for me when I was perhaps a little young to have it. #scarredforlife
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

FatalityPitt Guest

TR Triggerhappy, Misfire and Slugslinger are like the 'new' seekers. They all turn into aircraft, and they all share the same mould (kinda sorta).