Thread: CHECK or REMOVE your old BATTERIES

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Exclamation CHECK or REMOVE your old BATTERIES

Over the years people have occasionally asked here about what figures come with batteries, so that they can dig them out before they start leaking (which can damage the toy, but can destroy the electronics first).

One of the projects I wanted to do this year, and to make use of my collection (which kinda just sits there collecting dust), was to compile a reference list of all Transformers toys that came with electronics.

Not only will it help collectors of older figures remove batteries from their figures (hopefully before it is too late) as well as to know which of their sealed or unsealed-boxed figures they have to worry about.... but it will also help collectors know what batteries certain figures need without digging it out and opening it up.

BUT THE IMPORTANT THING RIGHT NOW THOUGH - if you have any Transformers toys with electronics that are older than 4 years - CHECK THEM NOW!

I have found that even as recent as 5 years ago, batteries were already leaking or corroding. Even the Button Cells, which seem to be more resilient than the bigger batteries. I have several Armada-to-Cybertron toys that no longer work because the contacts are corroded from the button cells. They may be fixable, but it is easier and cheaper to prevent it if you can. For the Button Cells that were included with some of the toys, don't think that those white pull-tags some of them had to prevent the Cells from going flat early, helped - the Unicron Trilogy toys I left the tags in, leaked more than those I used (which means they now never work).
    If you aren't a sealed collector, and you aren't using the electronic gimmick on your older toys or have them in storage - REMOVE THEM!
    (if you are a sealed collector, leave them, as the value of the toy comes from it never being opened... not, if it's electronic gimmick works)

To begin checking your collection, go to the Battery reference listing in the Matrix section, and use it as a checklist (maybe even print it out and tick them off as you go).
    FEEL FREE TO SHARE THAT LIST WITH OTHER FANS OR FANSITES.

HOW CAN YOU HELP?
    Have I missed a figure? Did I get something wrong? Have I included a figure that shouldn't be on there?
    Let me know, either here or on the Reference List.
    Some figures I don't have, so if you see a ? next to a name or its battery listing, let me know if you know what it should be.
    Generally, button cells were included, while larger batteries were less likely to be included.

How about some photos to illustrate how serious this is?

The box of batteries so far, and that's only about halfway on the list.

Some of the worst ones I've removed (plus a couple battery tags for reference).

Beast Machines Supreme Cheetor.

Armada Super(pants) Optimus Prime.

Powerlinx (redeco) Jetfire weapon (this was one I never removed the tag from, and it was more corroded than the Jetfire weapon I did use)

If you need help finding batteries on a figure on the list, just post a query on the Reference List.

FINALLY - please be mindful of the environment. Batteries aren't actually meant to be thrown in with the general waste, so if you end up with a box full of old or leaking batteries, try to dispose of them somewhere that collects them (I think mobile phone outlets do, and maybe electronics stores or dedicated battery kiosks). It might seem like a lot of effort for something negligible to the rest of the landfill, but sometimes a small movement can generate change (to have more options for easier disposal of batteries in a greener manner).
    Last edited by griffin; 21st March 2021 at 06:08 PM.