Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cases where you loved a figure but hated the character, and vice versa...

FatalityPitt Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TaZZerath View Post
    While we're on TFP, while I felt that Breakdown never got a whole bunch of screentime to flesh the character out (so never really stuck with me as a favourite), boy oh boy his toy looked appealing. Curse you, Takara!
    That voyager Breakdown was very nice. Both modes looked great, and the transformation was fun. The Arms Micron dude (rhinoceros) was the icing on the cake. It was pretty expensive to import though, and it was fairly small compared to a typical voyager at the time. I hope it gets released in the west one day. It'd be strange for HasTak to produce a mould, then use it to make 2 figures (Regular and Silas Breakdowns) just for one market.

Quote Originally Posted by FatalityPitt View Post
    That voyager Breakdown was very nice. Both modes looked great, and the transformation was fun. The Arms Micron dude (rhinoceros) was the icing on the cake. It was pretty expensive to import though, and it was fairly small compared to a typical voyager at the time. I hope it gets released in the west one day. It'd be strange for HasTak to produce a mould, then use it to make 2 figures (Regular and Silas Breakdowns) just for one market.
    Wasn’t there also a GDO swerve made from the same mold?

While we're on TFP, while I felt that Breakdown never got a whole bunch of screentime to flesh the character out (so never really stuck with me as a favourite), boy oh boy his toy looked appealing. Curse you, Takara!
    The Breakdown toy isn't as good as it looks. Very few were fleshed out in TFP despite ongoing screen time. I like TF Prime, but character development wasn't its strong suit. For the most part, they were basically walking caricatures. Doing lots of cool stuff and going on adventures =/= character growth! (those are merely catalytic agents)

Beast Wars remains the single best TF cartoon for character development. Nothing else comes close.
    Wasn’t there also a GDO swerve made from the same mold?
    Transformers Prime Arms Micron.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Beast Wars remains the single best TF cartoon for character development. Nothing else comes close.
    I can't disagree. Beast Wars got me back into Transformers and that's where I've stayed ever since.

Animated I feel was probably second from a character development perspective.

KELPIE is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by FatalityPitt View Post
    In the comics, he was still somewhat comedic at his lowest, but at his strongest he was a monster. At one stage he literally killed almost everyone. Even if he is a powerful character, it feels a bit strange to root for a monster like that. That's one of the interesting things about Starscream; his patriotic colour scheme makes him look heroic, but he's one of the biggest villains in Transformers.
    Have you read the IDW Comics?

Screamer is basically portrayed as an anti-hero.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    It helps when you only have a handful of characters to flesh out.

While one of its strengths, I also felt that it was one of it's weaknesses. Every episode I'd wait and hope that a stasis pod would drop from the sky. They rarely did. Then when it finally happened and one opened, it was even rarer for it to be a character depiction of a cool toy I saw in stores.

Quote Originally Posted by KELPIE View Post
    Have you read the IDW Comics?

Screamer is basically portrayed as an anti-hero.

It helps when you only have a handful of characters to flesh out.
    True, but Prime also had a relatively limited cast too (fleshed out by identical Vehicon hordes). There wasn't even really much effort to develop the characters, just make 'em a bunch of walking/talking stereotypes. Same with RID, at least for the Autobots. We had limited numbers of Team Bumblebee who could've been developed, but not really. And the occasional development that did happen was kinda clunky and less organic than BW (no pun intended). Like Bumblebee would sometimes be more mature and authoritative, but other times regress to being rash and impetuous. Huh? Even Beast Machines handled this better with Cheetor where he was the young adult (mentally equivalent to someone in their 20s). He never regressed to his more juvenile mental states from BW because he had already grown past those stages. It'd be like seeing a grown man playing with t---, uh... never mind.