View Poll Results: What colour scheme appeals to you the most?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Blue and white is all right

0 0%
  • Gold and green keeps me keen

0 0%
  • Blue, White and Red gets me out of bed

2 22.22%
  • Once you go black you can't transform back

1 11.11%
  • Out-there hues (pinks, purples, oranges) keep me amused

6 66.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What colour schemes do you prefer?

Question What colour schemes do you prefer?

I was looking at my collection today and for the most part I noticed a trend. I seem to favour blue/white colour schemes for my figures. Out of them all I have Ultra Magnus, Brainstorm, Highbrow, Topspin, Triggerhappy and Battletrap as strong contenders, and because my collection is very small, they stand out more. Even Generations Thunderwing has a lot of blue and white on him (but doesn't dominate AS much as the others mentioned). Second seems to be gold/yellow with Springer and Hardhead and to a slightly lesser extent Rhinox (in robot mode anyways) and Cosmos is on the way, then brighter colours like purples, pinks and oranges.

Outliers are God Ginrai (in red/blue/grey/yellow tinges) and Nemesis Prime (black/grey/teal/red).

So it got me thinking, on another episode of TaZZerath's Thought-provoking Talks (thanks Goktimus ), what colour scheme(s) appeal to you the most?

Edited because I forgot about poor 'Loose Hips' Rhinox

G1-character colour schemes

Don't know why but it really gives me the irrits when a character who has its roots in G1 and is meant to be a newer version of that character is made the completely wrong colour.

Look at Sideswipe - always an Autobot Sportscar. Yet he was then made Black in G2, Green in RID(01), Blue in Armada and Silver in Movieverse. Why not just make him red as that is what he always was?

Actually I am pretty forgiving of G2 because so many of it's toys were recolours of G1, so it was kinda the point - plus my MP G2 Lambor just looks awesome!

Alterations to colour schemes/paintjobs is fine, in fact they often spice up a newer version of a classic character, such as alterations to the flame motif on Hot Rod/Rodimus or the use of less yellow and more orange etc. But I think unless it is for a specific reason, if a toy is meant to be a new version of a classic character, or at least it's other universe counterpart, then it should retain a lot of the original colour scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    G1-character colour schemes

Don't know why but it really gives me the irrits when a character who has its roots in G1 and is meant to be a newer version of that character is made the completely wrong colour.

Look at Sideswipe - always an Autobot Sportscar. Yet he was then made Black in G2, Green in RID(01), Blue in Armada and Silver in Movieverse. Why not just make him red as that is what he always was?

Actually I am pretty forgiving of G2 because so many of it's toys were recolours of G1, so it was kinda the point - plus my MP G2 Lambor just looks awesome!

Alterations to colour schemes/paintjobs is fine, in fact they often spice up a newer version of a classic character, such as alterations to the flame motif on Hot Rod/Rodimus or the use of less yellow and more orange etc. But I think unless it is for a specific reason, if a toy is meant to be a new version of a classic character, or at least it's other universe counterpart, then it should retain a lot of the original colour scheme.
    If there was ever a time I wanted to branch out into Masterpiece, it would've been for G2 Lambor.

You make a fair point though Trev. Sometimes altering colour schemes so fundamentally does cause a lot of confusion too. Keeping with the base level colours a character has makes for a lot easier identification and familiarity.

I can't go past black with a lighter accent colour.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Quote Originally Posted by TaZZerath View Post
    You make a fair point though Trev. Sometimes altering colour schemes so fundamentally does cause a lot of confusion too. Keeping with the base level colours a character has makes for a lot easier identification and familiarity.
    Sometimes that confusion can stem from bots having other bots colour schemes.

Looking at Energon Downshift - was obviously meant to be Wheeljack from the head sculpt and colour scheme, but since they used Wheeljack in Aramada they just gave the toy a different name. Hence why I liked Cybertron Downshift a lot better, at least he was a different colour.

Age of Extinction Hot Shot is the worst. His colour scheme is completely Tracks - from the blue body to red face and white helmet. But they named him Hot Shot for whatever reason. If they are going to do that, why not just decide to make the toy yellow? If because of all the Bbees on the shelf then make him that light bluish colour he had in Cyberteron and without the red face? As it is we ended up with a toy named Hot Shot who was doing a credible Tracks impersonation

Getting to the actual question of this thread, it really depends on the toy for me. I like the contrast between the green and purple of the Constructicons. I also love the colour scheme on Nemesis Rodimus Prime. I thought whoever that white Diaclone version of MP Sunstreaker should have been a Decepticon - that white with red eyes could have worked for an evil character so well!

FatalityPitt Guest

It's good to have a variety of colours in the collection, but if I had to really pick one; I'd go blue, white and red. It looks heroic/patriotic, and it feels like the right mix of cool and warm colours. I can understand why many people go for black, but if you had a shelf of Transformers and nearly all of them were black, it'd be a bit creepy looking

Another interesting thing about colour schemes (in Transformers) is that purple and green seem to be associated with evil. You almost never see Autobots (or superheroes in outside media) sporting purple and green. The only one that springs to mind is the EVA unit-1 from Neon Genesis Evangelion, which was piloted by the main hero. Besides that, no "good" characters seem to like wearing those colours.

Quote Originally Posted by FatalityPitt View Post
    It's good to have a variety of colours in the collection, but if I had to really pick one; I'd go blue, white and red. It looks heroic/patriotic, and it feels like the right mix of cool and warm colours. I can understand why many people go for black, but if you had a shelf of Transformers and nearly all of them were black, it'd be a bit creepy looking

Another interesting thing about colour schemes (in Transformers) is that purple and green seem to be associated with evil. You almost never see Autobots (or superheroes in outside media) sporting purple and green. The only one that springs to mind is the EVA unit-1 from Neon Genesis Evangelion, which was piloted by the main hero. Besides that, no "good" characters seem to like wearing those colours.
    TR Autobot Shuffler is purple and that REALLY looks weird!! Would be good as a deep cover spy...

I quite like G2 Sideswipe's colours, and G2 was the lowest point of my collecting. In fact, he was the only G2 Autobot Car that I bought. I skipped Jazz and Inferno. G2 Sideswipe is basically G1 Sideswipe's colours but in reverse. Oh, and the fact that he was a bad-bum commando in the comics also really helped. And from Hasbro's POV, they needed to do something different. After all, I'd only just purchased reissue Sideswipe in 1991 - releasing him only 2 years later in G2 with near G1 colours would definitely have made me skip him. As a kid with limited income, Hasbro would've had to work harder than that to make me buy that toy... turns out they did. Although it also helped that Sideswipe (as with all of G2) was a massive pegwarmed and I got him at discount.

I don't really have any favoured colours (can we have a poll option for this?), but as my toys are faction segregated, I notice that the goodies tend to have brighter colours and the baddies tend to be darker or more pastel. Not too many purple Autobots.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I don't really have any favoured colours (can we have a poll option for this?)
    If I knew how to edit the poll and not act like such a newb yeah

Question

This is an interesting question. I know Vangelus has mentioned a few times on the TFW podcast that he much prefers cooler colours.

Apart from not being able to see my collection right now on account of it being in boxes, I don't think that would help much since I have a lot of characters of many different colours.

I tend to sometimes buy a mould based on colour though. I remember when the Darkmount/straxus mould cam out. I've never read the G1 comics so I had no attachment to the character. I liked the vehicle mode though, so decided to wait for a repaint (even though at that stage none had been announced). Later on the skullgrin version came out and I bought that because the colour of the toy made a lot more sense for the vehicle mode than a deep blue, even though blue is my favourite colour.

I bought the G2 MP Sideswipe based purely on the colour of the alt mode.

I like blues and reds in general but prefer a mix in my collection, otherwise the figures all start to blend together.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)