View Poll Results: RID-2015 Toyline - how does it rate after the first wave or two?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Best ever toyline

1 5.56%
  • Good (more hits than misses)

6 33.33%
  • Average

7 38.89%
  • Bad (more misses than hits)

4 22.22%
  • Worst ever toyline

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Robots In Disguise 2015 toys - general/group comments, review links & official pics

Default Robots In Disguise 2015 toys - general/group comments, review links & official pics

With most of this line being gimmick and simplistic, many of the figures won't generate enough interest or replies for individual review topics... so this topic can be for things like (as a guide only)...
    - group photos
    - wave-wide comments
    - gimmick reviews and comments
    - comparisons
    - etc.

Hopefully this gives more people an ability/incentive to comment on the more obscure items within the adult fandom, without clogging up the reviews section with dozens of unused review topics.

The toys that are of more interest to us older collectors will be the ones that will spawn individual review topics, and will be linked to below.

YOU ARE MORE THAN WELCOME TO START A SEPARATE REVIEW if you have acquired something that isn't linked to below. These links are for convenience/reference, NOT the only toys that can have a separate review.

OFFICIAL IMAGES that members here can use anywhere on this site are also to be added below. (insert the image by its web-address into any post here - but NO hotlinking of these images onto other sites without authorisation first)

Legion (US$6 - AU$??)
    - - Wave 1
    Bumblebee - yellow car (Auto - new) - image
    Optimus Prime - red/blue truck (Auto - new) - image
    Steeljaw - blue monster car (Decep - new) - image
    Strongarm - blue/white police pickup (Auto - new) - image
    - - Wave 2
    Grimlock - green dinosaur (Auto - new) - image
    Sideswipe - red car (Auto - new) - image

Warrior (US$15 - AU$??)
    - - Wave 1
    - - Wave 2
    Autobot Drift - orange car (Auto - new) - image

One Step (US$10 - AU$??)
    - - Wave 1
    Sideswipe - red car (Auto - new) - image
    Underbite - purple tank (Decep - new) - image
    - - Wave 2
    Fixit - orange drill (Auto - new) - image

Mega One Step (US$?? - AU$??)
    - - Wave 1
    Optimus Prime - truck (Auto - new) - image

Hyper Change Heroes (Three Step) (US$20 - AU$??)
    - - Wave 1
    - - Wave 2

Tiny Titans (2 inch) (US$?? - AU$??)
    - - Wave 1
    Bisk (Decep - new) - image
    Bumblebee (Auto - new) - image
    Cliffjumper (Auto - new) (GEN1?) - image
    Grimlock (Auto - new) - image
    Hammerstrike (Decep - new) - image
    Optimus Prime (Auto - new) - image
    Prowl (Auto - new) (GEN1?) - image
    Sideswipe (Auto - new) - image
    Steeljaw (Decep - new) - image
    Strongarm (Auto - new) - image
    Thunderhoof (Decep - new) - image
    Underbite (Decep - new) - image
    - - Wave 2
    G1 Autobot Jazz (Auto - new) - image
    G1 Autobot Ratchet (Auto - new) - image
    G1 Autobot Topspin (Auto - new) - image
    G1 Bumblebee (Auto - new) - image - image
    G1 Cyclonus (Decep - new) - image
    RID Quillfire (Decep - new) - image
    G1 Sharkticon (Decep - new) - image
    G1 Soundwave (Decep - new) - image
    G1 Starscream (Auto - new) - image
    G1 Superion (Auto - new) - image
    RID Terrashock (Decep - new) - image
    G1 Ultra Magnus (Auto - new) - image

Titan Guardian (6 inch) (US$6 - AU$??)
    - - Wave 1

Titan Heroes (12 inch) (US$13 - AU$??)
    - - Wave 1
    - - Wave 2
    Sideswipe - (Auto - new) - image

Titan Heroes Electronic (12 inch) (US$?? - AU$??)
    - - Wave 1
    Bumblebee w/ spear (Auto - same mould as regular 12 inch) - image
    Optimus Prime w/ sword (Auto - same mould as regular 12 inch) - image
    Last edited by griffin; 14th February 2015 at 04:36 PM.

I worded the poll so that people can vote in the first few months of the toyline (only), as we'd know enough from it to get a decent impression/opinion of it... and if there is enough interest at the end of the year or toyline, we could have another poll to see how those impressions/opinions changed after more exposure to the toyline and to any surprises that show up later (any better or worse toys we don't yet know about).

This is the first toyline that I will be skipping in 30 years...

The size difference between the new reduced Legends (no longer 2-packs), and the new Legions from RID. The pricing between the two are US$10 for Generations and US$6 for the RID.... so expect a similar gap in pricing here.

The size difference of the Generations toys to some recent other toys.

This group shot includes the two HyperChange (3-step) Grimlock and Bumblebee on the right, with the Warrior class (same size as Deluxe Arcee) and the Legion class.
    I grouped toys of the same characters to show any size and sculpting differences.

The first wave of One-Steps and Tiny Titans are on their way to me, so I'll try to do up some more group shots of each character.

So far, I haven't been too disappointed by the toys so far, because I wasn't expecting them to be anything spectacular. The Deluxe cars were very panel-heavy, requiring a lot of lining up of tabs to panels, which can cause other panels and tabs to pop out if a single thing is just a little out of alignment.
    The Legion Bumblebee was also one I had trouble with getting tabs to stay attached, as you can sort of see in the photo above with the legs (front of car) not staying together.
    Warrior Grimlock was probably the most disappointing of the Warrior four, as it took a bit to figure out where the robot legs go in dino mode... and still looks very deformed when I did end up getting it right.

One positive surprise was the 3-step Grimlock, as it is a really unique transformation that doesn't feel like a "simple" 3-steps. And it scales better to the Warrior class if you want a larger Grimlock toy to play with or display as the main cast.

The Legion class was more complex than I was expecting... and felt like they were almost as complex as the Warrior class, which makes them more difficult to transform with big fat adult fingers.
    It was actually interesting to see that the Legion toys had instruction sheets that were bigger than the instruction steps on the back of the Warrior card-backs.

Probably the most disappointing thing is the lack of character range in the first wave.
    We have so many recurring characters in wave one that could have been swapped over with wave 2 toys that aren't characters in wave 1 (like Drift and Fixit) or are major characters that have just one convertible toy (Sideswipe, Underbite) compared to EIGHT Bumblebees, six Steeljaws, four Optimus, and four Strongarms... just in Wave One.

Oh... and weapon storage in alt-mode for the Warriors that have weapons - which is something I prefer if it doesn't ruin the toy to accommodate it.

A group shot in robot mode of the Legion, Warrior and 3-step classes, with other recent items for scale.

I think the Warriors are fantastic -- simpler than recent Deluxes, so they're fun to transform but not too fiddly, but not as dumbed-down as the upscaled Legions we saw at the end of Beast Hunters, so they're not... like... awful.

And the Legions are a lot of fun too. I wish there was still a Commander size for Prime and Grimlock (at the very least) and I guess I'd prefer a size class slightly bigger than Warrior as well, but otherwise I have no complaints.

High hopes for the show. Really love TFPrime, so a continuation of that series is everything I could have wished for.

Wave one of the One-Steps...

Bumblebee (front and back of car join together from underneath to form the feet)
    Strongarm (front and back twist and come together as a backpack)
    Sideswipe (flips open like a flick knife, like some of the AOE One-Steps)
    Underbite (click back legs together to flip over the head to the front)

Hasbro have been getting more creative with these, considering they are supposed to transform in one step... so that's commendable (they could all transform the same and still sell to the younger kiddies).
    As a result of them finding more creative ways to transform these toys, they aren't as intuitive, and can lead to a lot of kibble (Strongarm) or parts getting in the way of the "one step" transformation (Bumblebee).

The first wave of RID toys, not including the various Titans.

For details on the Tiny Titans, go to the news topic here... as these disgrace the Transformers Brand so much, I don't want their images contaminating multiple sections of this board.

Played with all four first wave Warriors today. Bumblebee's my favourite but each of them have their flaws - mostly in the form of kibble getting in the way of poseability. Sizewise they are fine, small deluxe size, not too far off TFPrime Deluxes actually. A few extra paint apps wouldn't be bad too. They are a good sample of apparently the most prominent show characters so I'm keeping me but don't think I'll get too many more. Drift looks interesting in robot mode and Sideswipe might be another get.

PS All but Grimlock were mistransformed in packaging. Bumblebee's shoulders slouched, Steeljaws arms not extended, Strongarm's back kibble around her legs.
    Last edited by Paulbot; 31st January 2015 at 10:32 PM.