View Poll Results: TFPrime Bee Vs Screamer - worth buying?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 54.55%
  • Only if...

3 27.27%
  • No

2 18.18%
  • Not interested

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - TFPrime 2-pack (Bbee Vs Sscream)

Default Toy Review - TFPrime 2-pack (Bbee Vs Sscream)

(Please post photos, comments or even a fully comprehensive review - these are just brief details to get you started)

Bumblebee Vs Starscream (with Silas & MECH Soldier)
    Series - Transformers Prime
    Sub-line - Robots In Disguise
    Size/class - N/A (2 x Deluxe + 2 figurines)
    Wave - N/A
    New/remould/redeco - Redeco Robots (First Edition versions), new Humans
    Released here - March 2012
    Approximate Retail Price - $60 (US$25 elsewhere)
    Approximate Size - 14cm each
    Allegiance - Autobot (Bumblebee), Decepticon (Starscream), MECH (figurines)
    Alt-mode - Sports Car (Bumblebee), Fighter Jet (Starscream)
    Main Features/Gimmicks - 2 human figures + DVD of 3 episodes (DVD in US version only).
    Main Colours - yellow, black, blue (Bumblebee), grey, purple (Starscream)
    Main Accessories - gun (Bumblebee), 2 arm-guns (Starscream) + 2 human figurines.

Note - photo below is of the US version that has a DVD included. Our version has a leaflet enclosed instead.
    (image is only temporary, as no official images exist at this time)
    Last edited by griffin; 19th March 2012 at 01:30 PM.

Decepticon Guest

It's not even a comic book! It's just a brochure promoting Prime toys and specs.

Well that sucks... We get shafted with expensive prices, and then get shafted with no DVD or a comic (which I thought it had) to make this set or redecos worth buying...
    This is sooo totally imported for me.

Changed the first post to reflect it.

Quote Originally Posted by Decepticon View Post
    It's not even a comic book! It's just a brochure promoting Prime toys and specs.
    If I could get it for $40 or under I'd be interested; FE starscream costs about that on Ebay right now. He looks pretty good with that Dark Energon colouring IMO.

Decepticon Guest

I bought 2 at the Myer 'Buy2 toys get the 3rd free' sale on Saturday. One for a friend who wanted it also, so it did work out at $40 each which is the most I would of paid.

Does anyone have any photos of our version, like, the back or sides to see if it is covered in multi-lingual wording? I haven't seen it yet, but would probably import the DVD version if our packaging is spoilt by 6 different languages replacing/covering up all the good stuff of the other version.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Does anyone have any photos of our version, like, the back or sides to see if it is covered in multi-lingual wording? I haven't seen it yet, but would probably import the DVD version if our packaging is spoilt by 6 different languages replacing/covering up all the good stuff of the other version.
    it is multilingual version, I can take photos for you tomorrow if you want
    "sometimes the things you see might not be real and the things that are real you might not see"

You can if you want... I'll probably be at a Target tomorrow to see for myself though.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    It's multilingual packaging, but surprisingly there's not that much text on the box itself. There's heaps of blank areas. Most of the legal blurb is printed on a sheet of paper included inside the box. As such I don't think the packaging gets "spoilt" much by being covered in text. If anything I think it looks too 'empty.' There's no tech specs* printed on the packaging either. Actually... it's a lot like First Edition packaging, only with PRiD colours. Most of the multilingual blurb is on the sides.

-------------------------------------------------------
    *The leaflet contains pics of main characters and their stats (Str, Int, Spd etc.) but no profiles.

I voted no. But there are certainly positives to it.

I'm not the biggest fan of the Prime series, especially since I feel it is far inferior to the series it replaced, but this two pack piqued my interest as the robot modes look pretty similar to the show models and the sale price of $33 is mere dollars more than the average deluxe price anyway so I thought I might as well give it a go.

Both of the toys are very small, Bumblebee is 2/3 the size of Energon Hotshot. Starscream appears to have more height in alt mode than depth and looks exactly like a plane with giant robot legs pegged on underneath.

It is a shame that the alt modes are both so weak considering that the robot modes are so nice. Bumblebee just twists and turns all over the place to end up being the bog standard head under bonnet, arms tucked in the central console, legs are the boot car with everything hanging underneath. He also looks like a jigsaw puzzle with his panels not quite lining up perfectly, and its great to see Hasbro didn't use all of their allspark blue on the movie line. It does look awful in alt mode.

Overall summary for Bumblebee: a simple transformation from a decent robot to mediocre alt mode all jumbled up due to overcomplicating the simple things and terrible instructions.

Starscream in his purple deco makes an already very feminine robot mode even more feminine. His high heels , thin legs and colours are very reminiscent of Cybertron Thunderblast. Unlike that shellformer, Starscream ends up showing all his robot mode in alt mode. Starscream suffers from the same problems during transformation as Bumblebee, what is essentially a very simple transformation is made over fiddly due to bad instructions and unnecessary steps. The alt mode is again is very jigsaw panelly and the whole mode has a tendency to do it's best to try and unpeg itself. In order to have a decently painted robot mode, the alt mode suffers, being mostly grey with some strange purple highlights where the wings meet the fuselage, the jet exhaust and a terrible shaded cockpit that looks atrocious.

Overall summary for Starscream: A very well sculpted and designed robot mode with a terrible alt mode, shockingly bad transformation that is too fiddly and annoying to be fun.

The two human figures are barely worth a mention. They are solid plastic with wide bases to help them stand with a few paint apps, nothing special, but not bad, and nothing to complain about as an added bonus.

The packaging is plain and as Gok mentioned, empty and void of anything interesting. The instructions are badly made and designed (and overly large) and the pictures can be hard to see in grey scale when small parts need to be altered. Instead of a DVD, we get a flimsy paper booklet with stats for the main bot and con cast, with no bios or any interesting tidbits, just broken english single sentence scraps that were easy to translate into the dozen or so other languages.

I feel that generally these figures have the same pitfalls and issues that the whole Prime line does. In order to have decent robot mode show likeness, the alt mode suffers, they are far too small for the price, smaller than DotM toys for the same price point, for no reason, there are no oversized weapons here that used the plastic allowance either. Only soft clip on weapons with no playability replace any interactive weapons.

I can only recommend these two figures to those who really enjoy the Prime series, who want to get FE versions of two main characters in alternate colours and may have missed out/cant afford the proper versions. The robot modes display well and do look like the show (bar the colours). If you are interested, try to track down during a sale, for $33 I don't feel too ripped off, but had I paid $60 or whatever myer is charging, I'd be wanting to return these. As is, I am not sure how long I'll hold onto them, they have turned me off from collecting any further Prime figures (since these are the FE/ better designed versions) with their small size, poorly designed transformations and horrible alt modes.

When I mention their over complicated transformations, I do not intend to infer that the transformations are hard, as they are not, but they are fiddly, like the movie toys, the panels need to be clipped in just right at the right time, and if you follow the instructions; certain joints need to be massaged in or moved, rotated, moved, rotated, rotated and flipped at the exact right times and angles rather than just twisted and pushed in at the end (which for Bee works better!) I cannot see younger kids truly enjoying these transformations, they are not fun or intuitive as a toy designed for play should be.

Here's hoping I maintain this feeling, it'll make my wallet happier and let me track down better figures from better series.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)