0 0%

0 0%
  • 5 - its so so

2 3.64%

2 3.64%

6 10.91%

18 32.73%

6 10.91%
  • 10 - BUY IT !!! or forever be shamed!!

19 34.55%
Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast

Thread: War For Cybertron Game Review

I just finished playing through the whole game.

I must say this game could not be any more geewunn and I mean that in a good way!

Gameplay wise it's nothing new, it's a straight 3rd person shooter. You go around each level shooting bad guys (or good guys) and activating switches and that's about it. However although the gameplay brings nothing new to the genre, it can't be argued that it's a lot of fun specially to a Transformers fan. The scripted events are interesting, the environments do have variation despite some complaints and the boss battles are great! However I can't help feel that a Transformer fan will get more out of this game than an everyday gamer due to what I mentioned before - It brings nothing new to the table gameplay wise.

The campaign mode is really where it's at for fans and it doesn't disappoint. It's plot and use of characters is very geewunny (down to Rumble is blue & Frenzy is red!) and the environments are detailed enough to portray an ancient robotic civilization successfully as well as a 'living' Cybertron. For fans the story and characters will certainly not disappoint but I do wish they had used more than a select few characters. Even by Geewhunn standards the character roster list was pretty small.

Something that I was glad to find is that what were first regarded as 'drones' from the reviews and promo movies are actually not so. They are classed genericons/generibots with their own personality not unlike the generic cybertronians you see in crowd scenes in the G1 cartoon and comic so they are fully individualized cybertronians. However gameplay wise I was a little disappointed that the same classes of generibots are mirrored on both sides. Example: Both the autobots and Decepticons have brutes, cloackers, tanks, etc with no variation aside from colors.

This 'mirrored' classes was a bit disappointing and somewhat nonsensical, specially when Barricade at the start of the Decepticon campaign gets freaked out by clockers as they were something which they have never seen before but in the Autobot campaign Decepticons have lots of them. Another flaw of this 'mirror' system is that both the autobot and Decepticon campaigns are too similar from a gameplay perspective as in both you are fighting exactly the same enemies throughout which can make it kind of boring.

Now to the Transformation. Despite what that retard at Gamespot said, transformation is a big factor in the gameplay. There are some battles in which you cannot be effective without transforming as you need to cover the battlefield quickly and on top of that, the alt mode having it's own weapons also adds a strategic element. For example in the Autobot campaign I chose jetfire, once I was able to clear all the Decepticon rocketeers I was able to transform and take off an pick off the ground forces. The gamespot guy was clearly talking out of his ass as he also mentioned cover mechanics - There are none in this game, it's a straight shooter. The only cover is going behind a wall or pillar.

The advantages of the alt mode become apparent early on the game during standard confrontations and during a boss battle it becomes essential as some boss attacks can only be avoided with the speed of your vehicle mode or your dead. Again the Gamespot guy doesn't appear to have played the same game as everyone else has as he deemed transforming unnecessary.

The quality of the story campaign is somewhat simplistic but satisfying with lots of G1 nods and references. The story is not fully fleshed out and although it is a bit more advanced than a G1 episode, it is certainly not much more so. The story somewhat loosely reminded me of Bob Boudanski's style of storytelling as his form was to tell a simple but still epic story with fun being at the center of it such as Megatron finding some new source of power and the Autobots trying to stop him. The interactions between transformers is also good and fun but there isn't much character development and the voice acting is about on par with the cartoon (ranging from good to corny) but just like the cartoon, the interaction between characters and personalities are fun and entertaining despite the lack of character development.

Overall, if you are a Transformers G1 fan - You need to play this game. It's fun and exciting with lots and lots of G1 nods.

If you are a regular gamer, it is still worth playing as the gameplay is still fun and well executed but don't expect anything new or revolutionary. It's a pretty standard shooter with a short linear campaign but the transforming element may help to keep it fresh.

In regards with Hasbro mudding up where this game belongs to continuity wise? I don't care what Hasbro says, this game could not be any more Generation 1. It is not comparable to anything else all the characters, situations and even the story style as well as the character line ups are G1.

Apparently Hasbro marketing is trying to shoehorn this into Transformers: Prime the TFwiki is going along despite the game developers repeatedly saying that this is G1. Therefore it belongs in the G1 continuity family just like War Within, DW, IDW, etc.

Tell me how can This be in the same continuity as this

And how can this not be G1?
    Last edited by kup; 11th July 2010 at 06:16 PM.

Good Game reviewed the game last night. If you missed the episode like me, here's a link to download it.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Good Game reviewed the game last night. If you missed the episode like me, here's a link to download it.
    Saw their review, thanks. It was very fair and about right.

Even the part about how you turn Starscream from an Autobot to a Decepticon?

Errrr...

Quote Originally Posted by Ingram View Post
    Even the part about how you turn Starscream from an Autobot to a Decepticon?

Errrr...
    I don't think that is been interpreted properly. Starscream seems more like a neutralist in the game protected by Autobots than actually having any cemented allegiance.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    I don't think that is been interpreted properly. Starscream seems more like a neutralist in the game protected by Autobots than actually having any cemented allegiance.
    That's what I felt.

yep he was fighting with jetfire then he saw the power of dark energon and turned

Quote Originally Posted by Autocon View Post
    yep he was fighting with jetfire then he saw the power of dark energon and turned
    That still doesn't make him an Autobot. G1 fiction has used neutralist scientists in the past which are not committed but are partial to one faction.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    That still doesn't make him an Autobot. G1 fiction has used neutralist scientists in the past which are not committed but are partial to one faction.
    Yeah and Starscream doesn't have any Autobot faction symbol at all in any of the cut scenes.

Liking the DS Decepticon Game, it's fairly forgiving (takes some time to die due to being shot) and the fact that there is actual voice acting in a DS game is great.

Starting off the Decepticon game as an Autobot was cool too, actually threw me off, thought I must have gotten the wrong version by mistake.

Much better than the movie games, and so far, much more enjoyable than the animated game, which had a neat idea, but was poorly executed.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)