View Poll Results: TF4 Platinum Edition Breakout Battle - worth buying?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, even if it was $150

2 8.00%
  • Yes, but only for about $100

10 40.00%
  • Only if it was on sale for $80

6 24.00%
  • Not unless it was heavily clearanced and don't care if I miss it

4 16.00%
  • Not even interested

3 12.00%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Platinum Edition Breakout Battle

Default Toy Review - Platinum Edition Breakout Battle

Another Promo-Review thanks to Hasbro Australia, who sent me a couple items last week to review and promote here (and globally).
    For the benefit of fans I've made sure that the watermarks are not covering the toys in the photos... once the images appear on the global
    fansites crediting the source, no one is going to be able to get away with claiming the images as theirs. Websites (and online stores) still get the
    exposure without needing to spoil the images.

This Review will be moved to the Reviews section later. Please post comments, (and photos & your own reviews when it ends up being released).

Series - none (TF4 movie Generations)
    Sub-line - Platinum
    Size/class - n/a
    Wave - n/a
    New/remould/redeco -redeco TF4 AOE Voyager Optimus Prime, redeco Generations DLX Skids, redeco TF3 DOTM DLX Crankcase.
    Released here - September 18th - Myer exclusive
    Approximate Retail Price - $??? (I'm thinking maybe AU$100)
    Approximate Size - 18cm (Optimus Prime), 18cm (Vehicon), 14cm (Rollbar)
    Allegiance - Autobots (Optimus & Rollbar), Decepticon (Vehicon)
    Alt-mode - Cab-over truck (Optimus Prime), Rallycar (Rollbar), Chevy Suburban (Vehicon).
    Main Features/Gimmicks - Movie scene (sort of). Number 20 of 30.
    Main Colours - off-white, brown, dark brown, grey (Optimus Prime), black, blue (Vehicon), white, purple, dark purple (Rollbar)
    Main Accessories - Gun & missile (Optimus Prime), striking claw weapon (Vehicon), double-gun (Rollbar).

This set was shown off at BotCon and SDCC, so I haven't gone into too much detail with this review as I did with the other Platinum set.
    However, the Rollbar toy is the first of that mould for me because I missed out on Skids last year, and am still waiting for their next release because I
    don't want to be paying up to $100 for one of ebay. As such, I don't have anything to compare Rollbar to in this review, and I don't want to review it
    as if it is a new release mould.

Official Images first.

I was also hoping to have my Japanese Voyager Rusty Prime by now to include in the first posting of this review... but it still hasn't, so I'll add
    comparison photos later.

I also had to take all the robot photos of the Vehicon three times because it wasn't transformed properly during one set of photos (arm not plugged
    in), and the previous version (DOTM Crankcase) wasn't right in the second set of photos (horns were attached incorrectly). Naturally I didn't notice it
    until AFTER I was editing the photos on the computer.

Front of the box, with a battle scene that looks more like a collage of other images.

Back of the box, describing part of the movie leading up to this scene. It is also amusing to notice the amount of steps of each toy, with the older
    figure (Vehicon) having a much greater number than the other two moulds that came out in the last 12 months (due to the policy of simpler, more
    playable transformations).

Opening the trademark flap of these Platinum Edition boxes.

The inner tray is nicely presented, with a cardboard shed and explosions at the back... but I wonder why Rollbar is in vehicle mode if the other
    non-Movie character Vehicon is in robot mode. Clearly those two vehicle modes are based on the human vehicles in the Movie, so it would make
    more sense having them both in vehicle mode to match the scene... or both in Robot mode to match Optimus.

The entire contents. The gun for Rollbar is in the bag of instructions.

Straight out of the packaging.

All in vehicle mode first.

All the accessories. (I don't think I realised before that the Voyager Optimus toy's gun was a missile launcher, because the previous two
    versions had missiles that were the same colour as the gun.)

Very similar sizes between the two Deluxe toys and the Voyager toy, which is almost double the price in stores.

First up, Scrapyard Optimus Prime. This is where I would compare it to the Japanese one, to see who got it looking closest to the movie truck. The
    weathering/rusting paint effect looks nice on this one, but I think the red flames should have been more faded... and a painted hole on the radiator
    to match the movie version.

The gun can go on top, but it looks a bit weird.

With the other two versions I currently own.

This is probably my favourite mould so far with the TF4 toys, and it is a shame that the Japanese (black) Nemesis Prime is so expensive on the
    secondary market... as I'd love to get more of this mould... and maybe one day replicate this famous photo of mine.

Other angles of these three AOE toys.

Robot mode.

Close up of the head.

The face sculpt is the same as the regular version (Platinum Voyager version with the shiny parts has a face-plate - which I didn't realise until I
    had the toys together).

Comparing Vehicon with the Crankcase toy from TF3 DOTM.
    (I find this one of the most frustrating DOTM toys to transform into vehicle mode, because I can't get the head to go where it is supposed to, in order
    to have the pincers fit under the vehicle... which is why I had to "adjust" the pincers in my vehicle mode photos, but are hidden in most to not notice.)
    Vehicle modes are very similar, with just a few minor paint app variations, and a different coloured weapon.

The front of Vehicon has the Cemetery Wind logo, or something similar to it.

Details are the same on both sides. Anyone have any thoughts on if the number at the front means anything? As you will see on the Rollbar toy,
    often paint-apps have hidden or homage meanings.

Robot mode.

Close-up of the two.

Crankcase was the toy that had a running change at the beginning of its release in 2011, in that the middle finger spike was changed to a regular
    finger... either for safety reasons, or vulgarity. Vehicon is using that second mould, so can't do the same "expression" as Crankcase.

Finally, Rollbar.
    As noted above, this is my first toy of this mould, but since it is supposed to be a redeco (chronologically), I am treating this review as such.

Just like Vehicon, the paint apps on both sides of this toy are the same.

And underneath, which would be more interesting next to the Skids toy to show the differences.

Robot mode. The product number is on a really bad spot, as it shows up really significantly in robot mode.
    It is also very back-heavy with no heels, as the centre of gravity forced me to have the arms (and guns) out the front a bit to stop it from falling backwards.

Close-up of the head.

The back of the box shows the shoulders as tyres (as above), but Skids has panels folded down... which would make Rollbar look like this. The
    instructions are a copy of Skids, so both ways would be deemed official... but to differentiate the different moulds it is good to have alternate
    transformations (like Coneheads in 1985).

Another thing I only realised from the back of the box (which is not in the instructions), is that the two guns combine. It actually came packaged
    combined (the smaller one plugged into the back of the big one - see my 9th photo after the official image). The keen eyed people will see that the
    toy on the back of the box actually has two small guns - one in the right hand and one attached to the back of the big gun in the left hand. No idea
    why they messed that up, as each arm has flip out guns (intentional for the Skids toy as a homage to the original Skids), so didn't need even more
    guns in the stock image.

The set of three in Robot mode. Vehicon's pincers make him almost as tall as Optimus.

I really like the Optimus toy in any colour, so that was a plus for me. Plus, Rollbar is a new toy for me, but even if it wasn't it was better than
    average for a Deluxe toy (and would be even better if it had feet with bigger heels so that it didn't fall backwards for being so back-heavy).
    Vehicon on the other hand is the let-down of this set. It was a great choice of three vehicle modes for the diorama of this Movie scene, but
    Vehicon as a Transformers toy is one of my worst DOTM toys. My Crankcase toy no longer has the dreadlocks moving on their hinges on
    sides of the head, which is needed to transform it. Forcing it will break them because they are so fragile.
    As a bonus, the inner tray makes for a nice diorama display on your toy display shelves.

All three in the Farmageddon display.

Then the chase from the farm.

A Convoy with his fellow Autobots.

I can't remember if Optimus was in his new truck mode in the movie before or after he met up with the other Autobots.

A couple group shots of Autobots in robot modes.

Both Platinum set figures that were reviewed in my two reviews this week.

Look out for an update post or extra photos in the next day, as people post comments and questions here and on other sites.

Once again, thanks to Hasbro Australia for the opportunity to review and promote these sets for them.
    Last edited by griffin; 28th August 2014 at 09:44 PM.

Just dug out my skids for a comparison to your rollbar review comments...

1: yup, the original is just as unbalanced due to lack of heels.

2: the shoulder rocket launcher paint is really lacking on Rollbar. Skids has nicer red rockets on a silver launcher unit.

3: can you try angling the doors up more and see how the code blends in? I place mine more like a "Prowl" mould sits. Skids code is the same place, but is black print on blue blastic, so not as harsh to see

So Griffin when you review them do you get to keep them?

Cause that would be cool

Griff - you can click down Rollbar's toes to make him more stable.

A pretty cool set but since I already have these 3 molds I'll be giving it a pass unless I find it in a clearance sale

Quote Originally Posted by MayzaPrime View Post
    So Griffin when you review them do you get to keep them?

Cause that would be cool
    I was wondering too, but I presume he would since they have now been taken out of the box and played with. Perks to running the longest serving TF fansite eh

I've been begging them for a few years now to review upcoming toys, either by loaning them to me (to post back) or have someone in Sydney do the reviews from their office.

This year at Toyfair THEY actually resurrected the idea - not me. I didn't object, but told them that if they were for me to keep, I wouldn't be comfortable with too many... and only send ones they really want promoted that I can "earn" by putting in a lot of time and effort promoting here and globally.
    (they need value for money and we're only a "small" site in terms of public marketing, so there's a limit to how many items they can just give away for free like this, by interstate courier, which is why I don't want to be greedy - I want them to get as much or more back, to warrant the occasional toy to review in the future)
    Furthermore, any non-review items offered (or thrown in a package as a bonus) that I didn't want or need, I've rejected, or promised to give away for free... I will not get free stuff just so that I can sell it, as that isn't right. And so far, I've only kept one item for myself that wasn't sent for me to review (Construct-Bots AOE Hound).

Angry

In earlier promo photos I'd not noticed that it came with a barn from Prime to park in. It's a nice, and rather rare, touch to include diorama set pieces in the set.

Griffin, I for one will be buying this set thanks to your review...

I think it is a great idea that Hasbro Aus are sending you stuff to review.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    I've been begging them for a few years now to review upcoming toys, either by loaning them to me (to post back) or have someone in Sydney do the reviews from their office.

This year at Toyfair THEY actually resurrected the idea - not me. I didn't object, but told them that if they were for me to keep, I wouldn't be comfortable with too many... and only send ones they really want promoted that I can "earn" by putting in a lot of time and effort promoting here and globally.
    (they need value for money and we're only a "small" site in terms of public marketing, so there's a limit to how many items they can just give away for free like this, by interstate courier, which is why I don't want to be greedy - I want them to get as much or more back, to warrant the occasional toy to review in the future)
    Furthermore, any non-review items offered (or thrown in a package as a bonus) that I didn't want or need, I've rejected, or promised to give away for free... I will not get free stuff just so that I can sell it, as that isn't right. And so far, I've only kept one item for myself that wasn't sent for me to review (Construct-Bots AOE Hound).

I wouldn't stress mate. It's very noble and above board the way you are handling the situation but considering the huge amount of money you spend on hasbo products each year, the pittance it would cost this giant company to part with the odd toy that they manufacture by the tens of thousands, then add on top of that the website you maintain that talks about their products I think you are in the green

I just don't want people to get the wrong idea, thinking that I'm chasing up free stuff from anyone I can. Anything that I've recently been reviewing (toys & licensed items) was offered without me asking for it... and even before these ones, items I've been offered or sent, almost all have been given away in competitions.
    I even offered to pay for upcoming toys from Hasbro, but since it wasn't possible, I said to only send items they want promoted. That way neither of us is seen to be taking advantage of the other.