View Poll Results: Generations Tailgate with Groundbuster - worth getting?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hells yeah - love this little dude!

11 61.11%
  • Only if cheap

6 33.33%
  • Only if...

1 5.56%
  • Na

0 0%
  • A definite pass for me

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Generations Tailgate

Default Generations Tailgate

Name – Tailgate with Groundbuster
    Series - Generations
    Sub-line - Thrilling 30
    Size/class - Legends
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Wave - 2
    Released here – Not yet
    Approximate Retail Price - $11.00US
    Approximate Size – 8cm
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode – Muscle Car
    Main Features/Gimmicks – Targetmaster Partner
    Main Colours – White & Blue
    Main Accessories – Groundbuster Targetmaster Partner

Vehicle Mode
    Much more reminiscent of the Tailgate from TFPrime than G1, especially with the blue flames on the hood. Quite a good looking vehicle overall, though the 4-pipe exhaust sticking out the back looks a little odd. But certainly the toughest looking alt-mode on a Tailgate we’ve seen.

Robot Mode
    The face and set of the shoulders is MTMTE Tailgate all the way. In the regard he’s very good. What is a shame is that you can see the underside of his roof behind him and part of its attachment to the main body hangs way down from his crotch. While it doesn’t spoil the figure by any means, it certainly does detract somewhat.

Transformation
    Easy like one would expect from a figure this size. Getting his robot feet into the right spot for his alt mode can be a little fiddly but that’s about it.

Groundbuster
    A pretty disappointing Targetmaster partner. All you do to change him from bulldozer to robot is stand it up and swing the oversized arms out. To make him into a claw weapon you pull back the top and the bulldozer blade and claws swing out like the limb from a Power Core Combiner. Coluored to match Tailgate. Can be attached in either of Tailgates modes, doesn’t look like it suits either of them in any mode. Yeah Groundbuster has three modes so is technically a triple changer, but still not great, especially compared to the Roller figure that came with Legends Optimus.

Overall
    A pretty cool Tailgate figure, who is more complex, bigger and tougher than either his G1 or TFPrime incarnations and manages to incorporate facets of both while the face is a shout-out to how he looks in the current IDW comics. Pretty good, just a bit let down by the visible car roof in his robot mode and a pretty lacklustre Targetmaster partner. Still well worth their relatively cheap pricetag though

Considering Tailgate's original function in the IDWverse, it's appropriate that Groundbuster turns into a pooper scooper.

Keeping in mind that this is a Legends Class figure and thus in the same league as TF Prime Legion Class Tailgate, I think that it's one bloody fantastic toy... as are all the Generations Legends that I've seen so far! Sure, the toy has its limitations, and Groundbuster is by far the most disappointing of these Targetmaster partners that I've seen (it arguably makes Reflector look good; although I agree w/ Sky Shadow's sentiment about the suitability of the weapon^utility mode ) -- but for a toy of this relatively small and inexpensive price point, I think it's quite good. The Bay-esque Choppa flame'd alt mode is a bit weird though. While not comic-accurate, I do like the silver upper legs (which is more G1-like) and blue lower legs to help break up all the white of the toy. It's kinda weird how this little Legends toy has a far less bland paint job than some boxed Age of Extinction figures.
    Overall highly recommended.

Not a fan of this toy myself, as cool as it is to have another character based on his MTMTE appearance, this guys just doesn't cut it. He has a heap of kibble, flat forearms, a difficult to rotate head, and a very hollow feel . Comparing him to Reveal the shield Windcharger highlights how much the quality of toy we can expect at this price range has decreased. And all his recent wave buddies, Cosmos, Swerve, and even Shrapnel outshine him in my opinion.

But Windcharger is a Scout, and Tailgate is a Legends Class.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    But Windcharger is a Scout, and Tailgate is a Legends Class.
    I thought Tailgate was a Commander class?

At any rate whatever class he is is equal to or more expensive than what was once Scout class.

I'd suggest that price point wise, it's closer to the older scout class.

I like the little guy, I totally get the forearm gripe, overall I give him an OK.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Price point wise, it's somewhere in between Legion and Scout. At least, that's what mine have been costing me, and that's including cost of postage. And engineering-wise, I'd say it's also somewhere between Legion and Scout too. One of my students saw Tailgate today and immediately commented on the forearms.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Price point wise, it's somewhere in between Legion and Scout.
    It's not, the new Legends class has a RRP of $10US, which is twice as expensive as old Legends and Legions, and more than Scouts and Commanders ($8). They're the equivalent price point of Human Alliance Basics. If we assume the Targetmasters are worth a couple of bucks, then that means the main robots should be of Scout/Commander intricacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Zed View Post
    Not a fan of this toy myself, as cool as it is to have another character based on his MTMTE appearance, this guys just doesn't cut it. He has a heap of kibble, flat forearms, a difficult to rotate head, and a very hollow feel . Comparing him to Reveal the shield Windcharger highlights how much the quality of toy we can expect at this price range has decreased. And all his recent wave buddies, Cosmos, Swerve, and even Shrapnel outshine him in my opinion.
    Agreed, the only thing he's got going for him is his MTMTE likeness and the Groundbuster targetmaster is the worst of the lot thus far. This toy is a pure cash grab by Hasbro.

That said the alt mode design, although awfully deco'd, has grown on me. I hope he gets repainted/retooled into something cool.