Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: How do you know it's time to move on from Transformers collecting

It's pretty common I think that the production and acquisition of new toys is a lot faster than it used to be. I used to get toys as a kid twice a year, and occasionally when I'd saved up enough pocket money.

that gave lots of time to enjoy those toys, get to know them and become familiar with them.

these days I get a shipment from somewhere at least once a month and I generally acquire an average of more than one new toy a week for sure. I can see your point Paulbot, it becomes hard to find the time to appreciate each new toy and the old stuff can be just plain forgotten. I too have more than 80% of my collection in storage and probably at least 20%-30% of that is still sealed.

I do rotate, but it's occasional and I try to put newer items on display in the cabinet.

I pick a theme for a shelf and that's what goes there, it's a good way of going back and re-enjoying what's in storage but its not a regular occurrence and I do feel that I'm not making the most of the collection. I hope in vain to have a collection room one day where a greater percentage of my collection will be on display and easier to access.

One of the hardest thing for me to do is say no to a lot of new stuff, it's easy to get caught up in the hype of new toys when there is often little need to buy a repaint and a lot new items are just there to keep a name copyright or fill in some shelf space. I'm yet to buy a Movie 4 Leader Prime, I'm going to get the Takara version when it eventually comes out and that will be the only one of that mold. The advantage of saying no to a lot of stuff is that when some thing comes along like an MP Ultramagnus I can pre-order it the instant it becomes available and I don't have to worry about funds for it, just the space where it's going to go. And then it's not lost in a sea of new stuff I don't care as much about, just a lake of cool stuff I do care about.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Megatran Guest

I thought it would be hard to let go of my Masteripiece items but it hasn't. The way I justifiy it to myself is that they are going to good, derserving homes.

I now face the cross road of whether to continue to sell the remainder of my collection. The Optimus G1 repaint moulds is hard to let go.

Megatran Guest

Yep. It's curtains time for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Megatran View Post
    Til all are one
    "Save the rebellion! Save the dream!" - Saw Gerrera

I personally don't find toys or collecting in general as exciting as it used to be - maybe perhaps because as you get older you find that you need LESS not more stuff.

While I don't think that collecting has generated as much excitement as it used to be anymore, the recent wave of third-party figures has kept me coming back for me.

So I still buy toys here and there but they spent a lot longer time in their boxes than they used to - it's getting to the point where I think I need to start some more big purges soon to free up space.

I have actually started selling figures that I don't have doubles of which is something that I have never done before, but I think its time to start selling off parts of my collection. I just don't have the room for it anymore.

My toy collecting manner has waxed and waned over the years - maybe because I've been a 'fiction first' person for as long as I can remember.

I sold off a bundle a while back. Those that I sold (or attempted to) had been from an era when I was buying Transformers pretty much because they were Transformers, rather than due to any particular like of the figure or character.

These days I collect a lot less, months could go past without a figure popping up that interests me (of course, like buses, after that long wait, six might turn up all at once).

I actually kind of like this better as I think I end up with stuff I really want or like rather than simply 'amassing numbers'.

I look away for a few hours and this happens!?

It's something I think about a bit. I'm pretty happy with all my figures after an audit - but there's still more I think about auditing again.

I don't know the answer to it all really, but it's something I'll be debating for a while with myself.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

What was your reason?

I am about to exit as Masterpieces are no longer that exciting for me, Though TT has been so ever busy pumping out suddenly I have to restraint my spending of I must have it even if its TT exclusive 2K pieces.

I am also exiting other Toys as well as I know there is a forever continuation of that line and I be throwing money at them.

I do admit, that I have purchased my mps at very low prices and probably that's why I am still collecting.

I rarely buy expensive transformers to keep the costs down so never